Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 04:44 PM

999 posts, read 4,527,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"And the" you exaggerate the safety problem in Detroit. Yes, their is too much gunplay, but generally, children are safe to be able to ride bikes. I see children running around all the time and all over the place in the city.
In which Detroit neighborhood where a house can be had for under $130,000.00 would you let your 9 year-old ride around the block by herself? I don't doubt that you see kids running around the city all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
By the way someone mentioned hardwood floors that can last up to 100 years. Our house is 1702 years old and the hard and softwood (yellow pine) floors are still in good and servicable condition. They are worn, but beautiful. Plus who else can sit on their floor and say "an indian sat right here on this floor and smoked a piece pipe while trading maple and furs for flour and sugar. For many of us there is immense value in living in history.
Where in Detroit is your house that was built in 306 AD?

Old 04-04-2008, 10:32 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
Where in Detroit is your house that was built in 306 AD?
Allright! Who snuck that extra zero in there. I did not type that. no way. I typed 172. Thas my story an I'm sticking to it (for a while).

Hey smartypants, maybe we live in a cave.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
It is going to take the residents of the city of Detroit, as well as a better, diversified economy to bring Detroit back.

Even if an investor seeks to restore an entire neighborhood, he/she has to deal with scappers/thieves breaking in and stealing anything of value, homeless people who break in and set small fires to keep warm, sociopathic arsonists who love to burn things down, understaffed police and fire crews, and too many residents who just don't care about the welfare of their neighborhoods.

When, we Detroiters, start demanding more from our elected officials in terms of services like police and fire, start caring more about the upkeep and improvement of our neighborhoods, starting caring much more about our children getting the best education that they can get, then Detroit will rise. And it will no thanks to those who left who didn't do anything to stop the decline.

"And the" you exaggerate the safety problem in Detroit. Yes, their is too much gunplay, but generally, children are safe to be able to ride bikes. I see children running around all the time and all over the place in the city.

Grosse Pointe does not have these issues and it is surrounded by Detroit. Why cant they turn more neighborhoods into Grosse Pointes? That is why they have to do a whole neighborhood, not jsut a single house. A single house will get picked apart.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:51 AM

60 posts, read 274,059 times
journeyfarms: There is a lot of money to be made on real estate in Detroit in 5-10 years, if you look at lots of houses and stick to the best areas. Morningside is not one of them yet, but I agree with the recommendation for East English Village.
East English Village Home Page

(The picture was taken last September during a bicycle ride on Chandler Park Drive.)

Old 04-04-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Hey smartypants, maybe we live in a cave.
That's what I was thinking until you mentioned the plank floors.....So where's your 172 year-old house? I thought the oldest ones in the city were in Corktown and none of them were that old...I think the oldest confirmed one there was built in the 1850's. And they tore down Ft. Ponchartrain....And....I think I know what you meant....but what's a "piece pipe"?

Quote:
Grosse Pointe does not have these issues and it is surrounded by Detroit. Why cant they turn more neighborhoods into Grosse Pointes?
Because in the Pointes, people pay their taxes, take care of their property and are subject to aggressive code enforcement, have good schools, the police come when you call even for mundane reasons....Basically "broken windows" enforcement before there were too many "broken windows". How can you do that in Detroit? Tell the cops and code enforcement people that when they get a complaint in a "good neighborhood" or a neighborhood targeted for enforcement that they have to respond fast, but can ignore calls from other neighborhoods? One solution may be to establish strong neighborhood associations with private enforcement. Kind of hard to do that in existing areas though. How can you force someone to pay dues when they already bought a house in an area without that kind of requirement. Also, in Detroit, I would think that restrictive real estate covenants, deeds and restrictions are dirty words. Another solution may be to condemn wide swaths of houses and start all over and incorporate covenants and restrictions. Of course, each area would need its own schools and privatized law enforcement, garbage pick up, etc....

Good luck.

Last edited by and the; 04-04-2008 at 02:32 PM..

Old 04-04-2008, 03:58 PM

68 posts, read 103,994 times
Default Congrats to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyfarms View Post
I guess I am having a mid life crisis but as an outsider (from Oregon) I find incredible value in homes in Detroit. I am going to list an example here but I would like input of people that have lived and experienced Detroit for a while. I am not a "flipper", I have been doing real estate rehab, building, development, etc. for 25 years and feel that if you purchase right and are willing to hold for 5-10 years it would be a reasonable investment. So am I being reasonable or just dreaming and hypnotized by the incredbly cheap prices. I think some of the cheap REO pricing is because of steep terms (cash quick close) demanded by the banks. Anyway I looked at a property at 5903 chatsworth, Detroit 48224. (chatsworth and chandler Park dr south of I-94 a few blocks and north of Grosse Point Park) Is this a war zone or?
BRICK COLONIAL w/ 2 Car Garage/NO RESERVE!! CLear Deed! - eBay (item 140216885943 end time Mar-25-08 19:16:46 PDT) (broken link)
I would appreciate opinions as I plan to commit a lot of time, quite a bit of money and a whole lot of effort. (gradyrbrown@gmail.com)
Congratulations on your willingness to invest in the Detroit area. No, I don't think you're acting imprudently; especially, with your long range strategy. The area you've described, from what I recall, used to be quite "liveable and walkable." In fact, I know of another gentleman who resides in the area who does something similar. He has been emminently successful. Certainly, there are big city "issues" but you seem to have the capacity to rise above those constraints and positively influence a community. And, yes, I was born in downtown Detroit and did live in numerous parts of the city. Best of luck to you on your venture.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
That's what I was thinking until you mentioned the plank floors.....So where's your 172 year-old house? I thought the oldest ones in the city were in Corktown and none of them were that old...I think the oldest confirmed one there was built in the 1850's. And they tore down Ft. Ponchartrain....And....I think I know what you meant....but what's a "piece pipe"?

Because in the Pointes, people pay their taxes, take care of their property and are subject to aggressive code enforcement, have good schools, the police come when you call even for mundane reasons....Basically "broken windows" enforcement before there were too many "broken windows". How can you do that in Detroit? Tell the cops and code enforcement people that when they get a complaint in a "good neighborhood" or a neighborhood targeted for enforcement that they have to respond fast, but can ignore calls from other neighborhoods? One solution may be to establish strong neighborhood associations with private enforcement. Kind of hard to do that in existing areas though. How can you force someone to pay dues when they already bought a house in an area without that kind of requirement. Also, in Detroit, I would think that restrictive real estate covenants, deeds and restrictions are dirty words. Another solution may be to condemn wide swaths of houses and start all over and incorporate covenants and restrictions. Of course, each area would need its own schools and privatized law enforcement, garbage pick up, etc....

Good luck.

Grosse Ile.

It is exactly the same as a peace pipe when you have only had four hours fo sleep for the past four nights.

The city where we lived that had many neighborhoods brought back from gang infested were saved by very strong neighborhood associations. the associations were voluntary, but the city worked with them and got them what they wanted within reason. One of our requests was cops in golf carts and on bicycles. It worked wonders. Patrol cars are too visible and not manuverable enough.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:32 PM

866 posts, read 4,257,980 times
Another solution may be to condemn wide swaths of houses and start all over and incorporate covenants and restrictions. Of course, each area would need its own schools and privatized law enforcement, garbage pick up, etc....

[/quote]

I agree with this idea and believe if we could get some real leaders in the city, and do this, then this would be the way back for the city. By doing this it is really making new suburbs, even though technically it is in the City of Detroit.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:38 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,412 times
You're a real estate investor who seeks the counsel of anonymous forum posters? Okay.

Just in case you are, let me tell you something, my friend. As a guy who's from Detroit/Downriver and spent three of the last four years in Portland/Wash Co/Clack Co, you can't handle Detroit.

If you parachuted into that sewer, you should bring an oxygen tank because it's a different planet. I am not messing around, your culture isn't like Detroit. If you purchased a house on the wrong block, within a month, you'd be broke, naked from the waist down, shivering in a fetal position over in a corner while you cried to your wife on the phone "I made a bad decisions, I made a bad decision..."

Kiyosaki, on Fox yesterday, said to stay away from Detroit. Kiyosaki said stay away! That whole state is imploding and Detroit is the epicenter.

Those cheap houses are deals. They're steals... Detroit stealing everything it can take from you.

Let the dead bury the dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit