Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 08:52 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, there's a certain critical mass of people like him in order for things to really change. If he wants to just make a single neighborhood work, he'll need a goodly number of people who can bring money and portable skills. That's a goodly number of people.

I'm all for it. I just hope he can find a lot of other people to be all for it, too. Maybe a mass invasion of Oregonians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 09:14 AM

60 posts, read 273,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Unfortunately, there's a certain critical mass of people like him in order for things to really change. If he wants to just make a single neighborhood work, he'll need a goodly number of people who can bring money and portable skills. That's a goodly number of people.

I'm all for it. I just hope he can find a lot of other people to be all for it, too. Maybe a mass invasion of Oregonians?
Detroit still has 800000 people. There are groups of people engaged in just about every activity you can imagine.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:34 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Just in case you are, let me tell you something, my friend. As a guy who's from Detroit/Downriver and spent three of the last four years in Portland/Wash Co/Clack Co, you can't handle Detroit.
As a person who is a native Michigander, who lived in Portland, Oregon for awhile, I would tend to agree.

I think people in Oregon just assume that their city is just an average city, and any other city out there is more or less similar, (but bigger).

But the cultures are significantly different. Portland is a very well-kept city with a lot of pride and people who really take care of it. Very progressive, etc. All kinds of very positive attributes.

I think if a Portland person went to Detroit and drove around, they'd get a really strong sense of just how different it can be. When I lived in Portland, even in the bad areas, they were still quite good.

For that matter, I also later moved to the Bay Area of California, and was amazed at how cool and nice and liveable and pleasant OAKLAND CA was, and I always just assumed it was a Detroit equivalent city. NOT SO at all!

Detroit, the last I knew, only had ONE supermarket for groceries. You had to drive out of the city to get groceries. Also, if you get gas in Detroit, expect an incredibly thick plexiglass between you and the cashier...with bars all over the place as well. Everywhere has thick plexiglass and bars, that is a business that is like that - liquor stores, gas stations, etc. It also feels nearly deserted in most places, like a tumbleweed could blow down the middle of the street without being run over by a car. Just a desolate feel, but not a peaceful serenity feel, more like an 'eerie' feel....and you'll definetely drive into neighborhoods that are so run-down, so dilipitated, and even hostile in feel to them...like you wouldn't want to run out of gas in the mass majority of Detroit kind of place.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:55 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,860,440 times
Sounds like a good opportunity for a keen investor. There are case studies about businesses tapping the "bottom of the pyramid" market and making lots of money from it. One cannot invest passively in Detroit though. This will have to be hands-on.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,022 times
we owe a huge THANK YOU to this amazing city. me my self is an investor,live in LA and the last year plus i spended in this city.there is so much here,people are amazing.(and lets not judge anyone ,lets not forget "we cant judge an ill person")and same goes for this city.i know i know we all read about crime ,but is there anyone out there who can tell me where crime doesnot exict.hey those man,woman once had a house ,a job.how would u feel when u need to feed ur kids or buy them a new pair of shoes but cant actually afford it.let me tell you somthing if your kids are hungry and u just cant provide it ,got news for you ,you will become a diff man or woman.again i am a buisness man who is in the realestate field.i am ivesting a lot in this city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit