Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 01:41 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,380,392 times

Advertisements

What cities near Detroit have been spared the fate that befell Detroit itself? In other words, which cities/suburbs are still doing well and are good places to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 04:43 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,917,320 times
Short answer, about 75% of Metro Detroit is average, to better than average, to great places to live.

There are about half-dozen neighborhoods/sections of Detroit that are really on the upswing and good places to live if it fits what you are looking for in a place to live.

All depends on budget, type of housing stock, proximity to employment, proximity to amenities you desire, and what you want.

Everyone is different.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:13 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,635,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
What cities near Detroit have been spared the fate that befell Detroit itself? In other words, which cities/suburbs are still doing well and are good places to live?

I actually think that Detroit suburbs would rank higher than the suburbs of many places as a consequence of the area trying to compartmentalize all the issues of poverty and race within the city limits. If you go to metro Atlanta, for instance, most of the murders in the metro area of Atlanta take place outside the city of Atlanta. Only like a third of murders take place in Atlanta proper. Where as in the case of Metro Detroit, 2/3 of the murders in the metro area take place in the city and the city is where there is the most concentrated poverty. In the South, poverty, crime, poor schools are very prevalent in the "suburbs".

Old 06-25-2018, 12:34 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,339,648 times
I took a list I found and deleted the suburbs are are not doing well/are not very nice or are borderline. Everything else falls into the average, above average or great places to be mentioned above. I tried to highlight the ones I know to be especially nice, but I likely missed some (plus it is subjective). I may have missed a few from the first group that should be crossed out. Some areas I do not know super well.

Oddly, this list does not include Ann Arbor or Ypsilanti, or most Ann Arbor suburbs, although some that are closer to Detroit than others are included (like Plymouth). This leaves out a number of super nice cities form which quite a few people commute to Detroit. There is an endless debate as to whether Ann Arbor and its suburbs should be include din metro Detroit or not. Take your pick. On either side you can find pages of arguments on CD. No one has conclusively won such arguments, so you have a choice. However they are not included here becasue they were not on the list I found easily.

Also oddly, the City of Rochester is not listed, but Rochester Hills is. The City is nicer than Hills which is basically suburban sprawl (but nice/high end).

South Lyon and Lyon Township seem to be missing too. They should be higlghted as they are quite nice too.

Maybe this is list not very complete. I do not understand why some of these cities are missing.

Detroit Suburbs

Northern and Northwest Suburbs
Auburn Hills
Berkley
Beverly Hills
Birmingham
Bloomfield Hills
Bloomfield Township

Charter Township of Clinton
Chesterfield
Clawson
Eastpointe
Farmington
Farmington Hills
Ferndale
Grosse Pointe Farms
Grosse Pointe Park
Grosse Pointe Woods
Grosse Point City

Hamtramck
Harrison Charter Township
Hazel Park
Highland Park
Macomb Township
Madison Heights
New Baltimore
Oak Park
Oakland Township
Rochester Hills
Romeo

Royal Oak
Saint Clair Shores
Shelby Township
Sterling Heights
Troy
Utica
Warren
West Bloomfield Township

Southern & Downriver Suburbs
Allen Park
Brownstown Township
Dearborn
Dearborn Heights

Flat Rock
Gibraltar
Grosse Ile Township

Huron Township--New Boston,
Willow,
Waltz
Livonia
Riverview
Rockwood
Southgate
Trenton
Westland
Woodhaven
Wyandotte

Western Suburbs
Canton
Clarkston
Commerce Township
Franklin

Highland Charter Township
Independence Township
Lake Orion
Milford
Northville
Novi
Plymouth
Plymouth Township

Waterford Township
White Lake Charter Township
Wixom

Windsor, Ontario

City of Windsor
Amhertsburg
Essex
LaSalle
Tecumseh

Old 06-25-2018, 12:48 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,830,949 times
Not sure why some are highlighted and others not, but so many great places to live.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:12 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,641,443 times
Yeah, you've highlighted some obscure ones and left some great ones non-highlighted.

I honestly wouldn't pay too much attention to Coldjensens' list there, but yeah - pretty much 80% of the metro is in decent to great shape. It would be a lot easier to list suburbs that are not nice, but there's a ton of subjectivity to things like that. For example, personally I'd rather live just about anywhere on that list over Canton or Rochester Hills, but I imagine many on this board would disagree with that.

I think the suburbs that basically all of us would agree on as being rather undesirable are Inkster, River Rouge, Ecorse, and mayyybe Highland Park - but I think Highland Park has tons of potential over the next 5-10 years that those other communities do not have. Other than those, I'll bet you there are a number of people on here who would consider just about every other city in the metro as being somewhere passable to good to great in 2018.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:14 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,219,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Not sure why some are highlighted and others not, but so many great places to live.
Here was coldjensens explanation...
Quote:
I tried to highlight the ones I know to be especially nice, but I likely missed some (plus it is subjective). I may have missed a few from the first group that should be crossed out. Some areas I do not know super well
Just for the sake of filling in the missing Grosse Pointe Shores is missing but the most upscale of the Pointes.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:17 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,688,567 times
The vast majority of Metro Detroit was never really negatively affected by Detroit's decline. (The growth was stagnated in the general area, but very few suburbs went into decline). Oakland County remains one of the wealthiest counties in the country and it doesn't even include all of the 'wealthy' suburbs- like the Grosse Pointes and Northville. Most of the 'bad' suburbs aren't even bad- they are just blue collar and lower middle class, therefore undesirable. There are only a very small handful of suburbs I would feel unsafe in any time of day. Every major city will have a few of those. Honestly, Detroit may have fewer than most...

Old 06-25-2018, 01:47 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,339,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
"I tried to highlight the ones I know to be especially nice, but I likely missed some (plus it is subjective)."

Old 06-25-2018, 01:53 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,830,949 times
Subjective. Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit