Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,639 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
My fiance and I will be moving to the Detroit Metro Area this summer. We are both young medical professionals (no kids) and would like to know where would be a nice area to purchase real estate with the intent of selling within the next 5 years? Hailing from major metropolitan areas (NYC/DC) for the majority of my life, I would prefer someplace in the downtown area, however, I am open to moving to suburbs as long as they are not too far from the city(I have to be at the hospital by 530 am every morning so I don't want to deal w/ the long commutes). Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 02:59 PM

27 posts, read 101,780 times
I am in the exact situation. My fiance and I are moving to Detroit this summer and I will be starting D-School. We would like to buy, but the market is horrible and I don't know if we will be able to sell it in 4 years if we have to move for residency, etc.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:05 PM

143 posts, read 460,032 times
One place to check is Royal Oak. Lots of younger professionals in a downtown (but not big city) environment. A lot of condos, lofts at very reasonable prices (if you are accustomed to NYC/DC) Great restaurants, nightlife, etc. 15-20 minute commute to downtown Detroit, especially @ 5:30 am. Where will you be? Detroit Medical Center? Henry Ford?

Old 04-06-2008, 03:27 PM

422 posts, read 758,253 times
What did you match into? Surgery? LOLOL.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:59 PM

695 posts, read 3,409,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millennialmom View Post
One place to check is Royal Oak. Lots of younger professionals in a downtown (but not big city) environment. A lot of condos, lofts at very reasonable prices (if you are accustomed to NYC/DC) Great restaurants, nightlife, etc. 15-20 minute commute to downtown Detroit, especially @ 5:30 am. Where will you be? Detroit Medical Center? Henry Ford?
I agree with this. Most lively downtown in the immediate vicinity. Ann Arbor would be a consideration as well, longer drive however. Birmingham is another option but it is a little more pretentious rather than urban Royal Oak.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:41 AM

52 posts, read 270,076 times
You can always try your luck Downtown. I'd heard good things but I've never lived downtown so I couldn't give you a truthful opinion.

If you want a suburb i'd suggest Ferndale, Royal Oak, or if it isn't too far out, Birmingham (it is a bit pretentious i agree but it's a very, very neat place with very good density. Any of the streetcar suburbs along Woodward would be for you.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:55 PM

284 posts, read 1,016,368 times
I would definitely say Royal Oak sounds like the place you'll want to be. It has a lot of charm with lots to do and would be great for a couple with no children. Ferndale is similar, though not quite as nice. You may also consider Southfield, if you want more of a city feel with lots of city convenience.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:11 PM

41 posts, read 183,490 times
Default Best is Downtown or Midtown

I would like to start off by saying..Welcome To Our City. As you probably know from what you have read from different post on here is that Detroit has nothing to offer, or that you would rather live in the Burbs..Which is far from the Truth, here in Detroit we are experiencing a Rebirth and you would be Definitely missing out the resurgence of Detroit..Here are some helpful sites that you can check out in either Midtown or Downtown UCCA | University Cultural Center Association Downtown Detroit Partnership City Living Detroit | Detroit, MI (http://citylivingdetroit.com/05/ - broken link) Girl in the D The Lofts of Merchants Row - Downtown Detroit loft living - Studio, One Bedroom, Two Bedroom, Three Bedroom Lofts Model D - Detroit News ...Oh did I mention that we have a Beautiful Riverfront and Lofts popping up everywhere..Who really wants to commute from the burbs and you work in the Medical field, which the City has Henry Ford, Children's, and Hutzels to name a few..Good Luck and don't listen to the negativity cause those people don't live here..If you need more information, I'll be Happy to post more links.

Last edited by berrymist27; 04-08-2008 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Add links

Old 04-08-2008, 08:17 PM

695 posts, read 3,409,360 times
Also, if you're from the East Coast you might want to look into Grosse Pointe. It definitely has that New England feel, or the closest you can come to it.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:27 PM

4,516 posts, read 5,088,723 times
I agree, Grosse Pointe is more "Eastern" than most of the Detroit area. It has big old mansions, many of them lining the Detroit river and the GP dowtown area has a village feel about it... GP is very lilly white, so if you want some diversity, this ain't the place.

Birmingham and Royal Oak are more diverse, even though Birmingham is more blue blood as well. GP is close in compared to these other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit