U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 07:42 PM

970 posts, read 2,655,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Macomb Township has like a gazillion mobile homes too, varying widely in size and condition. Before the housing boom ten years ago, they counted for a good percentage of the population.
I never said it didn't. Where did that even come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [JS] View Post
Well, there are 30,000 houses in Royal Oak so hundreds may be an over-exaggeration. Still, there's at least 60 in the whole city for sure, plus numerous forclosures.
I love how you consider Royal Oak bad. Ever been to Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, Highland Park, Pontiac, Hamtramck, Inkster, River Rouge, Ecorse, or Southfield? Any one of those cities can completely blow Royal Oak right out of the water any day of the week.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:04 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,315,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
I love how you consider Royal Oak bad. Ever been to Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, Highland Park, Pontiac, Hamtramck, Inkster, River Rouge, Ecorse, or Southfield? Any one of those cities can completely blow Royal Oak right out of the water any day of the week.
The idea that Royal Oak is bad seems ridiculous to me. I recently moved to the northern suburbs of Detroit, I spent months looking at houses in the various cities. I saw many different parts of Royal Oak and while the neighborhoods vary, I didn't see anything I would consider bad, and I saw a lot that that was very nice.

I ended up falling in love with a house in Huntington Woods, and since I have been living here I'm also starting to love the city itself, there is a strong sense of community spirit and pride here, my neighbors dropped off welcome baskets when we moved in, everyone is super friendly, and people want to know their neighbors which isn't true of many paces anymore.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:52 AM

70 posts, read 271,831 times
Best Suburbs:

Ann Arbor
Birmingham
Beverly Hills
Berkley
Clawson
Royal Oak
Ferndale
Dearborn
Hamtramck
Bloomfield Hills
West Bloomfield
Lathrup
Southfield
Keego Harbor
Gross Point
Gross Point Park
Novi
Plymouth
Oxford
Lake Orion
Clarkston
Rochester
Romeo
Orchard Lake
Sylvan Lake

Worst Suburbs:

Hazel Park
Highland Park
Rosevile
Eastpoint
St. Clair Shores
Mt. Clemens
Harrison Twp.
Warren
Inkster
Taylor
Redford
Livonia
Pontiac
Auburn Hills
Waterford
Lincoln Park
Ypsilanti
Westland
Sterling Heights
Troy
Clinton Twp.
Allen Park
Fraser
Wayne
Wyandotte
Ecorse
River Rouge
New Haven
Shelby
Utica
Chesterfield
Rochester Hills

Probably forgetting some on both lists.

Last edited by AncientCoins; 05-19-2010 at 02:06 AM..

Old 05-19-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientCoins View Post
Best Suburbs:

Ann Arbor
Birmingham
Beverly Hills
Berkley
Clawson
Royal Oak
Ferndale
Dearborn
Hamtramck
Bloomfield Hills
West Bloomfield
Lathrup
Southfield
Keego Harbor
Gross Point
Gross Point Park
Novi
Plymouth
Oxford
Lake Orion
Clarkston
Rochester
Romeo
Orchard Lake
Sylvan Lake

Worst Suburbs:

Hazel Park
Highland Park
Rosevile
Eastpoint
St. Clair Shores
Mt. Clemens
Harrison Twp.
Warren
Inkster
Taylor
Redford
Livonia
Pontiac
Auburn Hills
Waterford
Lincoln Park
Ypsilanti
Westland
Sterling Heights
Troy
Clinton Twp.
Allen Park
Fraser
Wayne
Wyandotte
Ecorse
River Rouge
New Haven
Shelby
Utica
Chesterfield
Rochester Hills

Probably forgetting some on both lists.
Wait, wait, wait...You say Hamtramck, Dearborn and Southfield are better than Troy, Shelby, Utica, Rochester Hills, Saint Clair Shores, and Sterling Heights?!? I find it funny that you include Mount Clemens in the worst suburbs, and you recommended Mount Clemens on another thread today.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:28 PM

943 posts, read 2,066,055 times
Quote:

I thought Royal Oak was a good neighborhood, where it is now the trendy happening place for younger adults.

I never saw anything bad there. {have a friend who lives there] But havent been there since 2003.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:41 PM

15,996 posts, read 37,310,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
I thought Royal Oak was a good neighborhood, where it is now the trendy happening place for younger adults.

I never saw anything bad there. {have a friend who lives there] But havent been there since 2003.
Royal Oak is a great little place...

There is one poster, [JS], who is a young person and going to H.S. there, that doesn't like it at all.

But, outside of that, I hear mostly all positives from Royal Oak. I explored the area quite a bit a few months ago, as well as most of Metro Detroit...and Royal Oak was VERY pleasant to me! (I mean, in that, comfortable but not hyper expensive, and has interesting things around combination).

Old 05-19-2010, 09:39 PM

937 posts, read 2,622,619 times
Quote:
Wait, wait, wait...You say Hamtramck, Dearborn and Southfield are better than Troy, Shelby, Utica, Rochester Hills, Saint Clair Shores, and Sterling Heights?!? I find it funny that you include Mount Clemens in the worst suburbs, and you recommended Mount Clemens on another thread today.
Ignore the troll.

Utica, Shelby, Fraser, etc, do not belong on the worst suburbs list.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:16 AM

6,791 posts, read 7,315,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Ignore the troll.

Utica, Shelby, Fraser, etc, do not belong on the worst suburbs list.
That whole list is ridiculous, especially when no reasons are given for the choices.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:19 PM

333 posts, read 1,019,750 times
The fact that you people think Royal Oak is good is astonishing to me. But yeah, I guess people parking on lawns that haven't been mowed in weeks is normal. I guess kids burning down their schools and raping eachother on the stairways is normal. I guess the various hoopties, pickup trucks and beaters that line the streets are normal. The people with bars on their doors are normal. The old, boarded up shops are normal. The kids stabbing eachother are normal. The hoboes and thugs hanging out in the shopping centers, the apartment buildings and the bus stops are normal. The abandoned power stations, the back alleys with shelled out cars and barred up windows, the people who stop and stare into peoples' houses and the gang members swarming the local McDonalds are normal.

A downtown area doesn't make a city nice. A strip of road where there are mansions does not make a city nice. The truth about Royal Oak is that what was a nice suburb is now becoming the next Oak Park. If you were to drive down the streets in Royal Oak, and look at the houses, the people, the cars... if you listened to the stories of people who live in Royal Oak. Stories of raided crack houses, rude neighbors, blight and violence; you'd know why Royal Oak is quickly declining in population.

Yeah, Royal Oak is a real heaven. It isn't what it was in the 90s. It may have been a nice city back then, but the rest of Metro Detroit is quickly lapping it. In ten years it'll become an Oakland County Westland.

Also, AncientCoins, your list is highly screwed up. I can point out plenty of places that are on the wrong list:

Good suburbs - Hamtramck, Royal Oak, Southfield
Bad suburbs - Hazel Park, St. Clair Shores, Warren, Sterling Heights, Fraser, Taylor, Troy, Clinton Township, Shelby, Rochester Hills

First of all, where you got Hamtramck as a good suburb from is beyond me. I've already stated the problems with Royal Oak, but the general community is too caught up in it's former glory to realize it. Southfield is far from a good suburb, it's pretty much an extension of Northwestern Detroit.

Hazel Park, Warren, Sterling Heights, Clinton Township, Saint Clair Shores and Taylor may be less affluent suburbs, but they're not bad places. How Warren, Sterling Heights and Clinton got on the list I do not know. Maybe people are afraid of ethnic diversity? There are a few suggestive places in Saint Clair Shores and Taylor, but it's not all that bad. As for Hazel Park, most of the 'badness' is smoke and mirrors that just covers up foreclosures. There's one tiny neighborhood where a few shifty people and blighted houses are, but it's the same thing when it crosses West End into Ferndale. Otherwise, it's just an extension of Ferndale to be honest.

It's funny how everyone loves using the term "I've drove through there" with places they haven't lived in. I've lived in Royal Oak, I've lived in Warren, and I've lived in Hazel Park. Royal Oak is by far the worst, and the people who agree with me have mostly been the people who never lived there.

I just don't stand for the fact that people need to follow the masses in their thought. This forum and the people using it seem to be extremely one-minded and narrow in the way they conduct it. If you people were to live in these places, you'd realize how good or bad they really are.

Last edited by Northsider 248; 05-20-2010 at 08:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit