U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 04:29 PM

333 posts, read 1,018,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by errhuh View Post
Right, it's a larger suburb with different areas. I believe you could fit Ferndale, Huntington Woods, Berkley and Clawson inside of Royal Oak and have some room to spare.

The best of RO, in my opinion, is the NW. It looks similar to Birmingham, without the taxes....or the schools of course.
The northwest is the crappiest. The far northwest - west of Woodward - is nice, but the rest is alot worse than the rest of the city. Outside of that quadrant, I'd much more compare it to far southern Madison Heights - that bad pocket that starts at Brickley in the far north of Hazel Park and ends at Lincoln in Madison. Careless people, poorly maintained houses, a stock of classless hillbillies, and very poor schools.

Northeast ties for the second worst. It's just plain trashy in it's own.

Then of course there's the assorted blight of 12 and Rochester as well as 13 and Crooks. It just goes far downhill after you get north of 12 mile and before you get extremely close to the city borders. I wouldn't doubt for a second that what harlemnewbie and ShawnM are saying isn't true.

There are many more humongous problems with the city that you can't notice from the curb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 06:53 PM

943 posts, read 2,063,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [JS] View Post
The fact that you people think Royal Oak is good is astonishing to me. But yeah, I guess people parking on lawns that haven't been mowed in weeks is normal. I guess kids burning down their schools and raping eachother on the stairways is normal. I guess the various hoopties, pickup trucks and beaters that line the streets are normal. The people with bars on their doors are normal. The old, boarded up shops are normal. The kids stabbing eachother are normal. The hoboes and thugs hanging out in the shopping centers, the apartment buildings and the bus stops are normal. The abandoned power stations, the back alleys with shelled out cars and barred up windows, the people who stop and stare into peoples' houses and the gang members swarming the local McDonalds are normal.

A downtown area doesn't make a city nice. A strip of road where there are mansions does not make a city nice. The truth about Royal Oak is that what was a nice suburb is now becoming the next Oak Park. If you were to drive down the streets in Royal Oak, and look at the houses, the people, the cars... if you listened to the stories of people who live in Royal Oak. Stories of raided crack houses, rude neighbors, blight and violence; you'd know why Royal Oak is quickly declining in population.

Yeah, Royal Oak is a real heaven. It isn't what it was in the 90s. It may have been a nice city back then, but the rest of Metro Detroit is quickly lapping it. In ten years it'll become an Oakland County Westland.

Also, AncientCoins, your list is highly screwed up. I can point out plenty of places that are on the wrong list:

Good suburbs - Hamtramck, Royal Oak, Southfield
Bad suburbs - Hazel Park, St. Clair Shores, Warren, Sterling Heights, Fraser, Taylor, Troy, Clinton Township, Shelby, Rochester Hills

First of all, where you got Hamtramck as a good suburb from is beyond me. I've already stated the problems with Royal Oak, but the general community is too caught up in it's former glory to realize it. Southfield is far from a good suburb, it's pretty much an extension of Northwestern Detroit.

Hazel Park, Warren, Sterling Heights, Clinton Township, Saint Clair Shores and Taylor may be less affluent suburbs, but they're not bad places. How Warren, Sterling Heights and Clinton got on the list I do not know. Maybe people are afraid of ethnic diversity? There are a few suggestive places in Saint Clair Shores and Taylor, but it's not all that bad. As for Hazel Park, most of the 'badness' is smoke and mirrors that just covers up foreclosures. There's one tiny neighborhood where a few shifty people and blighted houses are, but it's the same thing when it crosses West End into Ferndale. Otherwise, it's just an extension of Ferndale to be honest.

It's funny how everyone loves using the term "I've drove through there" with places they haven't lived in. I've lived in Royal Oak, I've lived in Warren, and I've lived in Hazel Park. Royal Oak is by far the worst, and the people who agree with me have mostly been the people who never lived there.

I just don't stand for the fact that people need to follow the masses in their thought. This forum and the people using it seem to be extremely one-minded and narrow in the way they conduct it. If you people were to live in these places, you'd realize how good or bad they really are.
Really unless we lived there, we wouldnt know.

I for one, refuse to live in a city over 50,000 in population, so that puts out Detroit Metro area in general. Most metro cities unless you are making really good money, life is just too hard. {I had my time in Chicago area}

And since the MI economy [country in general] is imploding maybe that is what you are seeing happening.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:28 AM

4,719 posts, read 8,564,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
I for one, refuse to live in a city over 50,000 in population, so that puts out Detroit Metro area in general. Most metro cities unless you are making really good money, life is just too hard. {I had my time in Chicago area}
In some areas (especially in the south and southwest) that's a tall order. In the Houston area, for instance, most areas are either in the City of Houston (2M) or in an unincorporated area. There are some smaller municipalities around, but many are small and very expensive. Others are very blue collar. Many "suburban" municipalities in outerlying areas have now gone far above 50K due to rapid growth.

Areas within large cities and in stretches of unincorporated areas have different atmospheres. It might make sense to consider the neighborhood/community individually.

Also remember some relatively small municipalities have "urban" atmospheres. I.E. Syracuse, NY only has 145K people (I know that's above 50K, but I am trying to make a point), but it has a very "urban" atmosphere.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:57 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,173,177 times
inkster is a nice working town with some great bars (even ethnic ones) and pontiac has some great nightlife. What's with all the negativity

Old 05-18-2012, 04:25 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,506,489 times
How is Clinton Township these days?

Old 05-18-2012, 06:11 PM

8,400 posts, read 5,943,804 times
I haven't read all of the post but I find that most posts I've read is leaving out Canton. Thoughts?
I won't recommend Taylor. Horrible schools, high property, many foreclosures which is taking many neighborhoods down.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:42 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,263,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
I haven't read all of the post but I find that most posts I've read is leaving out Canton. Thoughts?
I won't recommend Taylor. Horrible schools, high property, many foreclosures which is taking many neighborhoods down.
Canton is your typical new housing suburbia (5 to 10 years). The only thing interesting about it is that it has the only IKEA in Michigan. Okay place to live if you're looking for newer housing in a quiet area and right off the freeway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
How is Clinton Township these days?
The north and west side is a bunch of 10-15 year old housing and strip malls. The south side (particularly 15 mile and Gratiot) is a little more older and poorer with a fair bit of property crime. There's a lot of low income housing developments in this area.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,064 times
Why not anyone mentioned Dearborn??? The West end is very nice...Arabs & Muslims to be sure, but ordinances keep the homes clean & kept up!!! The East end isn't thart hot, but NOT ghetto!!! West end has bar owners & lots of Ford engineers,etc...

Old 02-03-2016, 07:01 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,930,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
inkster is a nice working town with some great bars (even ethnic ones) and pontiac has some great nightlife. What's with all the negativity
I've been to Pontiac a couple times since moving here and truthfully I think it has a somewhat undeserved reputation. People seem to lump it in with Flint and Saginaw as a Diet Detroit, but the reality is that it's nothing like this. Yeah, the big open mechanical tower in the center of downtown is an eye-sore, and there are quite a few vacant storefronts, but other than that it's not bad. The houses are all kept up, the vacant stores are even kept up, the roads are in good shape, I've never felt unsafe in Pontiac, and it seems to be really experiencing quite the renaissance. If it wasn't for the somewhat sub-par schools, I'd recommend Pontiac to anyone looking for a safe, inexpensive place to live - as long as they could deal with the undeserved reputation.

Inkster though... Sorry, there is no silver lining to Inkster. Maybe it's just because all I know of it is Michigan Ave, but Inkster is ghetto.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:19 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,263,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
I've been to Pontiac a couple times since moving here and truthfully I think it has a somewhat undeserved reputation. People seem to lump it in with Flint and Saginaw as a Diet Detroit, but the reality is that it's nothing like this. Yeah, the big open mechanical tower in the center of downtown is an eye-sore, and there are quite a few vacant storefronts, but other than that it's not bad. The houses are all kept up, the vacant stores are even kept up, the roads are in good shape, I've never felt unsafe in Pontiac, and it seems to be really experiencing quite the renaissance. If it wasn't for the somewhat sub-par schools, I'd recommend Pontiac to anyone looking for a safe, inexpensive place to live - as long as they could deal with the undeserved reputation.

Inkster though... Sorry, there is no silver lining to Inkster. Maybe it's just because all I know of it is Michigan Ave, but Inkster is ghetto.
Pontiac was hit pretty hard by the recession. News stories of homicides and drug deals was kind of the norm out of Pontiac from 2007-2010. Then the city couldn't afford to have it's own police force and now relies on the Oakland County sheriffs. It's also majority black and with a high poverty rate which is what makes it easy to lump in with what is has in common with those other cities. It's fallen pretty hard from its peak many decades ago and so that's where a majority of long-time residents would compare its current state to (like much of the region/state).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit