U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 10:32 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,140,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Spent the night in BH last night. Went to the musical at BH High. Beautiful huge school. Drove through a forest of McMansion subs on Maple Road to get there (among other roads, just remember Maple as being particularly filled with them). Certainly are a huge quantity of McMansions there. That is all we have seen in the 50-100 times that we have visited BH in the past 5 or 6 years. There are a few older farm houses preserved here and there at the edge of the subdivisions, and there are a few other stately older homes here and there, but pretty hard to find amongst the new subs. Where do you find entire neighborhoods or even a cluster of nice older homes in BH? Where do you find a newer sub that is not filled with McMansions?
This sounds like the time you drove around Birmingham with your realtor several times and you became an expert on the area.

I don't think you understand the concept of a McMansion. These are newer, mass produced, cookie-cutter homes, usually built on the cheap. The vast majority of Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills was developed in the early 20th century - in short, there are few "newer subs" in these towns. Short of bulldozing a home, there are very few tracts to build newer, mass produced, cookie-cutter homes - McMansions. Yes, it happens, but there are not "huge quantity of McMansions there." You are either in Bloomfield Township are looking at one of the few, recently developed areas. Again, in case you don't get this for the third time, the vast majority of Birmingham and Bloomfield Hills was developed in the early 20th century.

Going back to your inaccurate post, Bloomfield Hills' southern boundary is Quarton. You weren't even in BH driving along Maple. Regardless, we have numerous friends who live in Birmingham between Maple and Quarton - almost all the houses in these areas are pre-WWII. Just b/c they are big does not make them McMansions. BH is bounded by Quarton to the south, Lahser to the west, and West Hickory to the north. The eastern boundary does not follow a major road. It's west of Squirrel Rd following a longitude just west of where Woodward and Quarton meet. The Bloomfield school district is much larger than Bloomfield Hills, just like the Birmingham school district is much bigger than Birmingham. Even though you are standing in the Birmingham School District when you're in north Southfield, it would be pretty silly to characterize Birmingham the city by a neighborhood in Southfield that happens to send kids to Birmingham schools. Even if I went to an event at Seaholm HS, I would be very hesitant to characterize Birmingham by the area around Seaholm, which bears very little resemblance to the majority of Birmingham.

I can appreciate people trying to help with information, but it gets tiresome correcting posts that are misleading at best, and outright false at worst. We have dozens of friends in BH. We go to their house for dinners and parties. One of our kids goes to daycare at Cranbrook. We go for walks around the area all the time. I consult with the Institute there. I teach city and regional planning at U of M - I know a bit about neighborhoods, especially ones I actively participate in - not just drive through for a play. Please, I beg you, stop with all the gross generalizations about south Oakland County that are patently false and stick with your own neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
Take a drive down Long Lake from Telegraph to about Eastways Rd. There are lots in there, especially near Kensington Rd. Also down Lone Pine Rd. and Vaughan Rd. TONS of the old stuff down there. A lot of the area around Maple Rd is actually Birmingham (if not all of it, I thought Quarton was the dividing line in most places, though Birmingham is oddly shaped).
This is correct. A good map is at http://www.bloomfieldhillsmi.net/ManagerClerk/final%20map.pdf (broken link).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 01:04 AM

52 posts, read 248,445 times
whats up with the hate for the Downriver suburbs? Sure River Rouge and Ecorse are not very nice but the Melvindale/Lincoln Park/Allen Park hate is unwarranted.

These are largely working to middle-class suburbs with a good housing stock and a lot of character.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:45 AM

75 posts, read 236,871 times
Default Grosse Ile among the best

The community is beautiful - lots of trees and lake/river views. The schools are among the best in the state. There is virtually no crime. The communte to Detroit is much much easier then areas north and west.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:39 AM

5 posts, read 16,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleenieWeenie View Post
Rochester Hills, IS NOT higher end, only the shopkeepers try and make it seem like that. Have you seen the quality of those expensive homes along Walton Blvd. and Adams Rd.??They are pre-fab cheaply built, would blow away in a tornado. I know from experience. Living in Indian Village for 25 yrs. Family living in Grosse Pointe for 50yrs. makes me biased of course. The shopping and Malls in Rochester Hills are high end, however the Hillbilly trash that live in Rochester Estates (trailer park near Tienken Rd.) are NOT! JUst a bunch of sh*t-kicking farmers or orchard owners that have matchbox homes sprinkled between the huge development subdivisions being built around them. Have you seen them from the back yards? they look like someone took a double-wide trailer and pasted them together, threw a pre-built redwood deck on there, and VOILA!!! Let us sell this crap for $2 million.
Rochester "Estates" is on Avon Rd.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:49 AM

8,710 posts, read 10,608,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
I think you were right to point out your truth of your city. People can say a lot of really dumb things under the guise of "it's just a joke, your not allowed to get mad" When people criticize cities they are attacking and stereotyping communities of people and that's usually not funny at all.

Wow. And all I am saying is that everyone has different opinions based on their experiences. Doesn't make them right or wrong. Geesh. Lighten up. Yikes.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:17 AM

6,791 posts, read 7,305,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Wow. And all I am saying is that everyone has different opinions based on their experiences. Doesn't make them right or wrong. Geesh. Lighten up. Yikes.
I stand by my statement and saying "lighten up" just comes of as as more rude, but go ahead and say it again.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:23 AM

686 posts, read 3,500,534 times
please, let's not get into a heated arguement here. I created this question to get answer to MY question, and not to have people argue. Let's all get along. Everyone will have different opinions. And while some may not agree with them, let's keep our negative comments and argumentive posts to ourselves please.

Daniel

Old 04-15-2008, 12:24 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,608,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acupunk View Post
I stand by my statement and saying "lighten up" just comes of as as more rude, but go ahead and say it again.

Whatev. You win. Daniel is right. It is his thread. I'm out. Have a great day!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:57 PM

695 posts, read 3,160,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic774 View Post
whats up with the hate for the Downriver suburbs? Sure River Rouge and Ecorse are not very nice but the Melvindale/Lincoln Park/Allen Park hate is unwarranted.

These are largely working to middle-class suburbs with a good housing stock and a lot of character.
Totally agree with you there.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:32 PM

4,489 posts, read 6,885,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic774 View Post

Well, speaking for Lincoln Park. The property taxes, last time i checked, were the highest in the general downriver area. (less "bang for your buck"..) The low house prices are offset by the high property taxes, which, in my opinion, you don't get appropriate services you deserve that you can typically find elsewhere. It is your typical inner-ring older-than-norm suburb with an infrastructure that's in serious need. Guess what? More taxes to come coupled with the high foreclosure rate in Lincoln Park.

Allen Park is the "Dearborn" of downriver. For those of you know about Dearborn and its history, i'm sure you'll derive to some conclusion.

Melvindale is flanked by the ever-so-scenic and beautiful Rouge River for those who dream of one day becoming a sludgin' cess-pool sailor. Also, there are a many industries flanking the northern and western part of town. A good waif of sulfur or God-knows-what smell in the morning or can be used as a compliment to the midnight crisp summer air when leaving your window open. I have other complaints about the city, but it is not warranted on these forums. I'll leave it up to you to do your investigative leg-work on other matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit