U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:05 PM

686 posts, read 3,502,474 times

Advertisements

so to get this straight, what communities in the downriver area are nice, and which one's are best avoided or not neccesarily the best to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 07:30 PM

88 posts, read 317,463 times
I'm rather confused by blue grass on the comparison to the Dearborn of downriver being Allen Park. Considering Allen park and Dearborn border eachother. Dearborn is home to Ford Motor Co. and AP has some Ford facilities as well....are you referring to the fact that its a diverse city or a lively downtown area or what?? I'm not trying to attack but was your reference positive or negative...just curious??

As to the best and worst of downriver, I will leave that to the downriver experts. Growing up in Oakland County, we had our noses up in the air when we heard anything "downriver".....I have since grown up and respect people regardless of their situation and don't feel the same way as some OC people....but I always thought Trenton and Wyandotte were nice towns...With Wyandotte being the Royal Oak of downriver.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:26 PM

695 posts, read 3,162,361 times
They all have their pluses, but Trenton, parts of Riverview, and Wyandotte are all probably the nicest. Allen Park has some very nice quaint homes especially along Park Ave. Southern Lincoln Park is typical of a lot of suburbs, as well as Southgate, Taylor. Southgate has some nice homes around Northline and Fort St. Northern Lincoln Park is starting to be quite vacant and the crime has been increasing. Ecorse and River Rouge are of course the worst of downriver, which is very sad with all their prime riverfront property.

Wyandotte is a stellar place. Nice downtown, tight knit community, beautiful homes.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:51 PM

well...I have no clue who Daniel is but I always have had the same curiousity in US cities and their suburbs. I had them as a kid and now as an adult. I always found it fascinating how poor Detroit could be and just a few miles north how incredibly wealthy it is. I'm also intrigued by how wealthy Manhattan(NYC) is and how poor some of the outlying areas are(complete opposite of the D) And also how a number of cities function well in both the city and the suburbs. So regardless if somebody fibs on info this is an interesting converstation to have. And for those wh have visited this thread who have no ties to Detroit or Michigan I think it helps to have them realize how nice the area really is regardless of what they hear about poverty in the city and the economy. People thrive on bad news while the good news gets lost along the way. I'm glad this thread has brought out a different viewpoint.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:47 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,142,931 times
Wow! I can't believe this thread turned into this... which isn't necessarily saying anything bad, because I like to say my peace to!

Since Downriver's in question and is where I grew up, I'll give my take.

First off, my woman's from one of the Oakland County's ritzy areas. Her old man's pretty well-to-do and she definitely didn't have a life of want, whereas I'm from the po' side of town.

When she moved in with me, she laughed that she was moving to "Wayne-tucky" and wouldn't be able to tell her friends. Her parents said "We ain't judging you because of where you're from." (Actually, one of the kindest things ever said to me from rich people.)

By the time we moved away, she was saying that she couldn't believe how great it was and was hoping that our future would be spent around similar people.

No matter where you are, of course, there are going to be the idiots. In Downrivers case, the Wyandottoe and Allen Park street fairs draw them out. The coffee shops are lined with the Harleys belonging to dorks wishing they were cool... Wild Hoggers...

However, when people talk about salt of the earth, they're talking about Downriver. Sure, Ecorse and Rouge are cess-pools. Yes, Lincoln Park and Melvindale are falling into Detroit. However, Wyandotte, Trenton, Riverview, Taylor? You can't ask for more decent people to call neighbor.

These days, people talk about not knowing their neighbors. That wasn't my experience Downriver. People knew each other there... in the best way. You were neighbors.

If I had the chance, I'd be back there right now. They're good people.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:01 AM

good point one thousand...One thing I love about Michigan in general is people are down to earth. And yes, even many oakland county "rich" people are too. Funny thing is, people who live in Michigan don't realize this. I had to move away to realize how decent the people in MI really are and how I missed a true "neighbor". Whether its downriver, downtown, blue collar, white collar, young, old, whatever....From a native who is living elsewhere, Michigan people are "good people". This IS NOT easy to find anywhere.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjefftrain View Post
good point one thousand...One thing I love about Michigan in general is people are down to earth. And yes, even many oakland county "rich" people are too. Funny thing is, people who live in Michigan don't realize this. I had to move away to realize how decent the people in MI really are and how I missed a true "neighbor". Whether its downriver, downtown, blue collar, white collar, young, old, whatever....From a native who is living elsewhere, Michigan people are "good people". This IS NOT easy to find anywhere.
That's it. You don't know what you've got until it's gone. I've lived in two states since and visited family in two more. Of America, I've encountered West Coast, West, Southern and Southeast. Everyone seemed artificial compared to MI.

I'm on the verge of owning a sizable property in Colorado that will get me away from everyone... but I'd trade it for a second to return to the authenticity of MI. Even Ohio, people are just different... It's like "Southern hospitality"... but sincere.

What can you do?... besides hope that Detroit fall into lake Erie?

Old 04-16-2008, 05:47 AM

104 posts, read 342,506 times
Okay, I also grew up downriver (Wyandotte). These are simply my opinions and impressions of the area.

I used to say I'd love to live there and raise my kids. It was a fun, safe place to grow up. Very small town.

I do not feel that way anymore.

Reason? Things have gone down hill a bit (in MY opinion). It's not super bad by any means, but it is no longer as great as it once was. Obviously because tons of people in Wayne county don't have jobs at the plant anymore to take care of their homes, or even keep them.

A given--Ecorse and River Rouge are basically like Detroit. Boarded up houses, garbage, crap schools, etc...

Wyandotte. Growing up it was solid upper middle class. Now? I'd put it more at middle-lower. Schools do NOT score well at ALL.

Trenton, Brownstown, Woodhaven, etc... More of the same really

Southgate, Allen Park--See above.

Riverview I *think* stil has pretty good schools. Majority of city is still very nice.

Taylor is HUGE so I have no idea as it was never really that nice (in my mind back then).

ALL of downriver is filled with half empty strip malls. New construction condos/subdivisions that are half empty or half built. There are pockets of very nice homes. There are pockets of people who seem not to have been impacted by the economy here. Probably those that don't want to pay taxes living on the Ilse.

As I said I grew up in Wyandotte but now we live in Plymouth. IMO it's the place where my child(ren) will experience a childhood much lke my own.

Oh, and I wanted to add one more thing. And again, like everything else this is simply my opinion, and I do realize that I'm doing some generalizing here. Downriver is not (for the most part) very liberal or open minded. That's not saying people aren't nice in their own way. I'm what you might call a part time hippie (lol) and there aren't many chances downriver to live that greener lifestyle.

Downriver has TONS and tons of houses for sale. Drive down any block and there will be many signs of each side the street. I guess that's good for some because you basically have your pick.

Last edited by theboysmom; 04-16-2008 at 07:11 AM..

Old 04-16-2008, 08:27 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,142,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
What can you do?... besides hope that Detroit fall into lake Erie?
There already are places like this. Why don't you move to Iowa? That's what Michigan would be without Detroit and its history, both good and bad. [Bracing myself now for a whole bunch of rhetorical air...]

Old 04-16-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
There already are places like this. Why don't you move to Iowa? That's what Michigan would be without Detroit and its history, both good and bad. [Bracing myself now for a whole bunch of rhetorical air...]
I didn't care for Iowa when I spent time there. I didn't care for the driving.

Beleive it or not, Michigan has the best roads I've encountered. (Planning, not potholes.) Plus, the people really are different. I don't know if it's the same with everyone leaving, but I can hope...

In the meantime, I'm left waiting for Detroit to further tenderize itself for gentrification and government overhaul by intelligent people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit