U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 01:54 PM

937 posts, read 2,622,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
You might as well say tear up I-75, I-94, I-696, M-53, M-10 and the rest of the roads and you talk about me being ignorant.
You are, but it's ok, you can still post here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 10:45 AM

4 posts, read 7,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Don't be ignorant. Im not talking about teachers having sex with students or some off the wall killing in the northern country. Im talking about Detroiters crossing 8 mile to steal our cars, carjack, break into our homes, businesses, shoplift, etc. Then coming into OUR school districts and bringing the guns, drugs and crime with them. Macomb County needs to close up its school districts; its sickening.
Amen, They bring their crime, blight, filth and disease to every suburb they invade. We needed minimal police and security patrols at our new shopping mall in Allen Park when it first opened. Of course, like nearby Fairlane Mall it was only a matter of time before the inner city thugs discovered it......now you are constantly looking over your shoulder!

Old 04-19-2009, 11:06 AM

2,365 posts, read 10,519,433 times
Well i lived in Detroit from 1978 to 1986 and enjoyed myself. I come from Phila.! I was young so i went to the industrial parties downtown, the punk parties on 7 mile road, the rock and roll shows in royal oak and worked in a beautiful rebuilt restaurant on woodward ave.

I never had a problem with being seriously attacked or molested. However, when i lived on cass avenue i had a young male throw a stone at me, when i ignored him and ended up with a swollen arm and in the hospital. Besides that, nothing of significance.

In Phila i had a woman let her dog attack me because i was singing. Was not hurt and did not end up in the hospital, just with a hole in my sweater.

but all in all, i have to say that i felt more safe in phila than in detroit. But i feel more safe in portland oregon than philadelphia. But i feel more safe in France than in America.

I will be moving back to detroit or near by hopefully for law school!!

good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler445 View Post
First off, let me say that I have never been to Detroit and never got a chance to experience things for myself. Everything I know comes from the internet and city-data forums.

I know Detroit has a high crime rate, low high-school graduation rate, and low median income, but:

Downtown Detroit is extremely safe according to statistics.

Detroit is VERY cheap for a big city.

The population density is not nearly as high as most other 'hoods'.

Bad neighborhoods seem to be a good distance from livable neighborhoods.

Considering all of this, is Detroit SUCH a disaster? So what if there are abandoned buildings, they are not bothering anyone except for contributing to the grittiness of the city. The houses there look BIG, can all these 'gangstas' and 'thugs' be sleeping in these mansions at night and want to seem 'ghetto' during the day? I am from Miami and the unfortunate here are crammed in tiny, dirty apartments. Many people in Miami come from other countries and arrive in America with NOTHING. SOME EVEN COME ON RAFTS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. And yet, they still manage to find jobs and not make their city the epitome of a ghetto (although Miami's average income is alarmingly low).

So can all you fellow city-data-ers please help me understand this magical place that is Detroit? Can you compare it to the city i know best (Miami) so I can have an idea of what Detroit is like? How does it compare to East Coast cities (Philly, Baltimore, DC, Newark...). Or is Detroit simply hopeless, a forgotten wasteland like East Saint Louis?

P.S. It is not my intention to put down Detroit or any other cities mentioned.

Thank-you in advance for all replies.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:45 AM

4 posts, read 7,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
You might as well say tear up I-75, I-94, I-696, M-53, M-10 and the rest of the roads and you talk about me being ignorant.
edited by mods: Seeker75, you've been warned. Please re-read the terms of service regarding insulting other city-data forumers.

Everyone else keep it clean or I'll shut it down

Last edited by magellan; 04-19-2009 at 05:52 PM..

Old 04-19-2009, 03:24 PM

937 posts, read 2,622,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker75 View Post
Amen, They bring their crime, blight, filth and disease to every suburb they invade. We needed minimal police and security patrols at our new shopping mall in Allen Park when it first opened. Of course, like nearby Fairlane Mall it was only a matter of time before the inner city thugs discovered it......now you are constantly looking over your shoulder!
Macomb Mall was the same way...used to be nice, now it's the ghetto hang out. Stolen cars, robberies, etc. But hey man, diversity is what people want today.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:55 AM

4,723 posts, read 8,580,543 times
As for the breakins into abandoned buildings, why don't they lay out bear traps in parts of the building so that the people get caught red-handed, and broken-footed?

It sounds cruel, but turning up the heat that way will make people think twice about scrapping/graffiti/mischief in priceless historic buildings.

Also the City of Detroit should bill the rich people who do not try to improve the abandoned skyscrapers they own. That way it can ruin their credit ratings and/or repossess their assets.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:52 AM

15,996 posts, read 37,317,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Macomb Mall was the same way...used to be nice, now it's the ghetto hang out. Stolen cars, robberies, etc. But hey man, diversity is what people want today.
'diversity' actually means a diverse mix of cultures and people. Vietnamese, French, German, Jamacian, etc.

Mix of black-america and white-america is just called 'integration' or 'desegregated'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or