U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,569 times

Advertisements

Detroit is the worst place I have ever been within the United States. It is amazing how seeing Detroit makes deindustriaization so real. It is cheap compared to other cities but that is because it is so crappy. There is bad air pollution (including the incinerator), low population density which means no market for businesses, in some parts of the city it literally looks and feels like Beirut. On the East side, they closed some schools, which were looted immediately, houses are burned, falling down, people forced to live in squalor. The death by gun rate is one of the highest in the nation. Your low cost city doesnt provide any services. Houses burn down because of the cuts in the fire department, police, that is a whole different post, the garbage pickup is not included in property taxes, extra 300 a year, bulk pick up is only 4 times a year, so dont be surprised to see couches and tires pile up on your street, they dont plow the roads unless there is 6 inches or more of snow. In fact, I am not sure what this "cheap city" offers, no transportation, nothing! They mayor is a disgrace, the city council is unprofessional and as equally inept, and the evidence is all around us....it is a third world country up here!!!!!

Finally, I must say, you all can sit here and think positively all you want but any person who has seen the outside world knows
this is a terrrible place...you can call it sunshine but we know what rain feels like!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 03:07 PM

999 posts, read 4,195,403 times
It's only bad if you live there.

Quote:
in some parts of the city it literally looks and feels like Beirut.
What do you have against Beirut? Just from what I know of Beirut, Beirut is a lot nicer than Detroit. Beirut has a "coast" on the Mediterranean Sea. Detoit has a "bank" on the Detroit River. Far more potential for good stuff in Beirut, the Paris of the Mideast than Detroit, the bunghole of the Midwest.

Last edited by and the; 04-18-2008 at 03:16 PM..

Old 04-18-2008, 05:44 PM

203 posts, read 755,664 times
yes it is bad. if you doubt it go there. don't believe the hype see it for yourself

Old 04-18-2008, 07:12 PM

334 posts, read 1,277,576 times
No it's not that bad to visit. If I had to live there, I'd be up in a condo, loft, apartment. I think it's reputation is worse than what Detroit is really like.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:28 PM

12 posts, read 18,007 times
yea its bad...i have toured the entire u.s and its the worst.. i have lived here 28 years

Old 04-21-2008, 06:06 PM

10 posts, read 30,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Yeah so we should base our whole experiences of a city by what happened to one person. I guess there isn't crime anywhere else why do you still live there anyway since its so horrible why don't u move instead of spending 90% of your life writing bashing posts all the time.
Ok, let me start by saying I've lived here my whole life and I very much want out, but it costs money to move and it's hard once you have a family. Most of the people I know compare stories of times they've been held at gunpoint or raped or mugged or their apartments were broken into. I don't know anyone who hasn't had something pretty bad happen to them becaues they've chosen a cheaper neighborhood to get by or they ventured to close to detroit after dark.

My friends that have moved out of the state say it's the best thing they've ever done. I, personally, have been robbed at gunpoint and had my apartment broken into twice. And that's in the suburbs, that are supposed to be nicer.

As far as statistically, I believe statics are only a small percentage of how safe or dangerous a city is. I have a friend that lives in Miami and when he came up here to visit, he said that most of our area is like the bad areas of Miami that he wouldn't want to live.

So all and all, yes detroit is pretty bad, but there are worse places.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:11 PM
tcb

198 posts, read 628,850 times
saw this on you tube

YouTube - A Tour Of Detroit's Ghetto

Last edited by tcb; 04-21-2008 at 06:20 PM..

Old 04-21-2008, 09:29 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,139,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb View Post
I'd say that's sufficient evidence. Therefore: Would the defendant, City of Detroit, please stand up?

City of Detroit, you are charged with being a detoilet, being a broke-a$$, being indifferent to your surrounding and accepting the lowest of low amongst yourselves. City of Detroit I find you guilty of all counts and nominate you pathetic.

What does it take for dirtbags to get up and clean up the vacant yard next to you and the street out front your house? No one's suggesting you become the 'burbs and start edging your lawn and jogging in the streets. I'm just saying, Why not quit pooping where you sleep?

Old 04-22-2008, 01:26 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,607,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcb View Post

Truth in pictures. A sad state of affairs. All the "positive pro-Detroiters" can say what they want, but that is screaming different. Start there.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:36 PM

695 posts, read 3,160,120 times
Not to say that there aren't better places. That video truly shows the absolute worst. I personally have driven through a lot of Detroit, and never seen half that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or