U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:10 AM

6,791 posts, read 7,311,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigU View Post
Most native Floridians don't really go to the beach that often. Having said that, Miami is a beautiful city with many activities that can't be found elsewhere. However, many of the people do not have respect or consideration for others. Simple things like saying hello as you pass someone or letting someone into traffic in front of you simply do not occur often. There are so many of these little things that add up which begin to outweigh the benfits. In addition, our summers are very stressful, due to hurricane threats, and the humidity is intense.

At this stage of my life, people are the most important thing to me more so than anything else. This means friends and family but also people who you interact with on a daily basis. Common consideration and "doing the right thing" are under appreciated until you don't see them on a regular basis. I believe that in Michigan, midwest values are reflected in most peoples behavior and interactions with others.

That being said, I plan on keeping my Miami house to escape to during the winter. This will help me to have my cake and eat it too.
Lucky you! My dad and his retired friends all head down to Florida right after Christmas every year ad come back in April.

I lived 1/2 block from the beach in CA and rarely went. When you live somewhere and have a job it's not like a permanent vacation the way some people think it is.

Ca has many of those inconsiderate people as well, and very vain status obsessed people. I had a boss criticize me for not having one of those ugly purses with some rich designers initials on it. Spending thousands on an ugly bag is just not me.

There is good and bad everywhere, but I'm also at the stage where it's about the people and enjoying the deeper connections in my life. I'm also nearing the age where In CA I would be expected to start thinking about botox and finding my cosmetic and surgical team. No thanks! I wouldn't do it in CA either, but here most seem to realize how dumb that is.

There is so much good in Michigan, I wish people would either move or show some pride!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 10:15 AM

12 posts, read 41,833 times
I actually will travel back and forth all year round ( won't get to stay here the whole winter) as we'll still have our retail stores in Miami. Yes, I feel I am fortunate but not as lucky as your father and his friends to be retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Lucky you! My dad and his retired friends all head down to Florida right after Christmas every year ad come back in April.
I agree people should show pride in wherever they live. People have the tendancy to complain rather than doing something about their circumstances. In any case, I think it is a case of "the grass is greeneritis".

I believe Detroit can be a great city again if individuals do what they can to improve the city as government isn't/will never be the solution. Collectively, individual efforts can move mountains. We're going to do our part by becoming engaged in our new community. If only I could finalize the offers on the housing we need...
Quote:
There is so much good in Michigan, I wish people would either move or show some pride!

Old 05-05-2008, 04:16 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,613,665 times
Quote:
Miami is very hot and humid. I would take michigan winter over a Miami summer anyday. Michigan has the great lakes, there are many nice beaches outside of Detroit. I wouldn't mind letting wallow in all their misery if that's what they really want, except that people who may consider moving here read this and should hear both sides, but I'm getting very tired of it.

I agree with you there. Humidity is bad enough in MI, I would hate FL humidity. But I don't think that Detroit will do a turn-around similar to Miami because of the weather differences. I think just like in CA or Vegas, celebrities flock to those places bringing all sorts of recognition to the area.

I do hope that Detroit picks itself up because MI is a beautiful state, and it would be nice to have an awesome downtown! I go there quite a bit and I enjoy it, but obviously I don't wander into the bad areas. I wish we didn't have them. I just wish people could be good.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:52 PM

12 posts, read 41,833 times
Actually it was the gay people and artists who started the turnaround in Miami Beach. The celebrities came after the tourists, and high rents, which drove the artists away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I think just like in CA or Vegas, celebrities flock to those places bringing all sorts of recognition to the area.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:30 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,241,733 times
Yeah, there's a clear line in every city's turn around. Artists stabilize a community, gays without kids and with disposable income gentrify it, then the middle class / yuppies move in with their strollers and drive the artists out.

Right now Detroit seems to be at the artist phase.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:40 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,141,040 times
The problem is that Detroit can't get over the hump. From what I understand, Detroit had a thriving gay community in the 90s. IIRC, it was somewhere near Boston-Edison. Due to a sequence of unfortunate events, the community scattered to places like Ann Arbor and Ferndale. It's the first time I ever heard of urban renewal getting aborted at the "gay" stage.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:30 PM

2 posts, read 4,319 times
Yes.....it is really that bad.....I try to avoid that place if at all possible. Most of the downtown has been getting fixed up and isn't as bad these days. But those neighborhoods....they're somethin' else...some of them are similar to Baghdad or Liberia or something.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,455 times
I've live in and around Detroit all my life. Its bad. While there are SOME parts that are haflway decent, untill Team Kilpatrick leaves and stops looting the taxpayers, (both resident and non-resident taxpayers) then the city will never prosper.

[mod]link removed, advertising is not allowed[/mod]

Last edited by Yac; 05-09-2008 at 02:33 AM..

Old 05-09-2008, 05:05 PM

225 posts, read 750,372 times
Quote:
The problem is that Detroit can't get over the hump. From what I understand, Detroit had a thriving gay community in the 90s. IIRC, it was somewhere near Boston-Edison. Due to a sequence of unfortunate events, the community scattered to places like Ann Arbor and Ferndale. It's the first time I ever heard of urban renewal getting aborted at the "gay" stage.
Palmer Park isn't Gay anymore?????

Old 05-10-2008, 09:21 AM

8 posts, read 20,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ushpa View Post
On the East side, they closed some schools, which were looted immediately, houses are burned, falling down, people forced to live in squalor. The death by gun rate is one of the highest in the nation. Your low cost city doesnt provide any services. Houses burn down because of the cuts in the fire department, police,
The vast majority of homes that catch on fire are not caused by arsonists. Rather, many people are not able to afford natural gas or electricity and instead use creative measures to heat their sleeping room.

Also, I will add that the water department has, in the past, permanently shutdown service to entire blocks due to a low number of houses and a low number of paying customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or