U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 09:33 AM

695 posts, read 3,160,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearborn View Post
Palmer Park isn't Gay anymore?????
In small amounts. It's more a sort of ghetto gay than the gay that is in Ferndale these days. And there aren't really gay businesses either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 08:18 PM

14 posts, read 42,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
I know two women who were raped at knife point while walking to stores. (respectively.)

A family member owns rentals and has had the copper and aluminum stripped from a couple while they were vacant.

That kind of stuff hasn't happened around me outside of Detroit.
I live in Los Angeles and can tell you that those things happen here. They happen all over the world. In fact, people aren't really raped on the street here in LA, it happens in your own home. I carry mace...Yet people arrive by the busload every day.

I can't stand it and after almost 8 years, Detroit will be a welcome change.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:49 PM

282 posts, read 746,927 times
America's most miserable cities - Buy a House: MLS Listings & Home Buying Tips - MSN Real Estate

Old 05-17-2008, 09:37 PM

225 posts, read 750,109 times
Quote:
I know two women who were raped at knife point while walking to stores. (respectively.)
How is one raped "respectively"?

Old 05-17-2008, 10:10 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,303,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearborn View Post
How is one raped "respectively"?
I'm sure the poster means in the order given, referring to sentence structure, nothing to do with rape.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:30 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,799,652 times
Admittedly I am coming to the party late on this one. I have studied the video from YouTube with DH. He attended Holy Cross as a child, and his family still drives in from Downriver to attend services there. We have spent a fair amount of time driving the streets while he reminisces about visiting his grandparents as a boy. IMHO, and he concurs, much of the footage seemed to be shot in Southwest Detroit, particularly the Delray neighborhood. Until just a few years ago when Fisher-Body shut down, Delray was a thriving community. Because it is so isolated from other communities being completely surrounded by industry, without the stabilizing effect of Fisher-Body all the little Mom & Pop businesses were doomed and the neighborhood went downhill rapidly despite efforts to the contrary.

Yes, I know there are other areas that still bear the scars of the violence from the 60's, and still others that are in the same boat as Delray because Chrysler or GM shut down plants. My point here is that to depict all of Detroit as being as destitute as the hardest hit neighbor is grossly unfair to the rest of the city, and doesn't give any credit to areas that are working hard to maintain property values and a sense of community.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:13 PM

I've been going down to Delray for the past 30 years either to the Hungarian club (closed for years now) or the Delray Cafe. It hasn't been "thriving" anytime in that timespan. Maybe less "Dresden-After-The-Raids" than now, but never "thriving".

Old 05-23-2008, 12:30 PM

27,759 posts, read 65,597,364 times
Del Ray along the river is basically empty now. The only business that I found open were a really great outboard motor shop that has been there for decades (this is why I was in Del Ray - we drove around the area for a couple of hours while we were waiting for repairs to be completed to see what it was like), a bar or two and one other business (I cannot remember what it was). It appears that most of the homes are gone or empty. there are some people living there becuase our Rotary club helps with a youth center in Del Ray and it gets quite a few kids. Not sure where they live, there must be more houses further to the east. What we saw was mostly vacant lots, burned out homes and an occaisional occupied home.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:59 PM

282 posts, read 746,927 times
You should have seen Delrey back in the late 1940's and early '50's.
We used go to the meat markets there, every couple of weeks, for the fresh Hungarian sausage.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:41 PM

Not to hijack...but speaking of sausage, try the "Balkan Smoked Sausage" at Mike's party/grocery store on Telegraph north of Ford on the West side. I think he gets it from a guy on the east side. A Serb told me about it. Good stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or