U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 09:18 PM

41 posts, read 106,391 times
Kimba01: Are you afraid to read the rest of my Post? Are you really afraid of the Truth...remember the Truth will set you Free!! So my advice to you is to Open your Mind...and Free your confused Soul? The Worst is Yet To Come!! Accept it! The Living Wage has changed!! Our lives have changed. Have the Gas Prices for your automobile changed your life at all!! If not, it will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 09:03 AM

8 posts, read 18,232 times
Anybody that ever lived in Detroit will let you know that answer .

Old 06-13-2008, 12:54 PM

214 posts, read 997,107 times
I don`t know how terrible it is but being ranked #1 in crime,unemployment,poverty and more can`t be to good. And its massive decline in population and schools also.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:55 AM

8,710 posts, read 10,606,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinnie View Post
Kimba01: Are you afraid to read the rest of my Post? Are you really afraid of the Truth...remember the Truth will set you Free!! So my advice to you is to Open your Mind...and Free your confused Soul? The Worst is Yet To Come!! Accept it! The Living Wage has changed!! Our lives have changed. Have the Gas Prices for your automobile changed your life at all!! If not, it will.
Afraid? No. Since the beginning of time change has always happened. It will continue to happen. What one views as a positive change another may not. I didn't dispute the "worst is yet to come" theory. Maybe you missed my point and that is that you cannot base it on the color of the Red Wings celebration. Go deeper.

If there is going to be a huge movement to the city of Detroit-that would be great. I wish for it. It won't be me, but I give my best to those it will be. And since it is going to be a huge movement-they better get busy building on all those empty lots they have.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:25 AM

316 posts, read 1,081,324 times
I think there will be a movement to Detroit, it just won't be anyone under the age of 30. The baby boomers ruined Detroit by giving up on it. They gave up on it by abandoning it, by looting it, and taking it for granted. The thug mayor was intent on erasing anything old, the things that made it great.
Outsiders visiting Detroit on a summer day won't be dissapointed. If the attitudes of idiots living in a city they hate ( which makes no sense) would change, or vanish, the population might grow.
Detroit has a lot of problems for sure, but less reliance on automobiles, a conservative mayor, and an effort to do something positive with the neighborhoods would help. It is hard to fix a problem when the biggest issue is the people currently living there.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:30 PM

156 posts, read 519,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deslok View Post
It is hard to fix a problem when the biggest issue is the people currently living there.
You have a point when it comes to the young hipsters, yuppies and dinks who maintain an address with their parents or someone else in the 'burbs in order to live in the city without an official address here so they can avoid high car insurance, and, more importantly, residence taxes. They think they are getting a good deal by enjoying an urban lifestyle without paying for it, but by choosing not to maintain an official address here, those people also cannot vote in city elections. I better not hear any one of them utter a single complaint about the mayor or anything else about how this city is run. Indeed, those ghost residents actually put a drain on city resources without contributing one red cent to them!

Calling poverty-stricken residents of Detroit its biggest problem is fair to the extent that a lack of tax revenues from people who can barely afford to keep their heads above water forces an extremely limited city budget, but otherwise blaming the poor for their own problems grossly oversimplifies the issue.

But I do often wonder who exactly it is that voted Kilpatrik into office a second time around in 2005. Given the sudden turnaround after the democratic primaries, I'm even prone to think it may have been rigged. Listening to the talk in the city I hear very little support for him among Detroit's residents. Then again, freedom fry-eating Americans all over the country (thankfully not those in MI) were ignorant and shortsighted enough in 2004 to re-elect a president whom they now roundly boo when he throws the first pitch at the Washington Nationals' opening game (sound familiar?). Democrat or Republican, American voters in general really need to stop behaving in such an embarrassingly superficial and childish manner.

Old 06-26-2008, 01:33 PM

26 posts, read 126,472 times
The D is fine downtown. However, on the outskirts of the city, it is usually pretty bad, I live off or Joy near Southfield until 1993 and we left due to the lack of maintenance and patrol. I now live in Plymouth, I don't care that I'm the minority as a black, I feel safer here and all of the people seem much happier.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:08 PM

21 posts, read 63,976 times
Very dirty with trash every where, unless you are talking about the suburbs. Other places I have traveled are sure cleaner even outside of businesses. West side of Detroit is cleaner than the east as far as homes go. Otherwise, I live in the city and will be moving out in 6 months whether my home sales or not. I do nothing in the city, schools not good, attitudes of store workers, police take forever.

Out of 100% of the city, only about 25-30% actually look nice. The attitudes in high percentage are of a low mentality. Complain about the surroundings, but alot of those contribute to the mess. You don't see the suburbs looking like a hot mess.

Why you say, because they care about where they live and the police are on the job.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:13 PM

21 posts, read 63,976 times
Despite all said,Ive never felt unsafe.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:51 AM

5 posts, read 12,906 times
There are psychos everywhere, violent crimes happen in places like rural Oklahoma. Get over it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or