Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2019, 03:19 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times

Advertisements

I'll be back in Detroit again in 2020 (was there 2018) around July 4th and, incredibly, every decent hotel downtown is sold out for July 1-6 2020.

What would be the best place outside Downtown Detroit that has:
1) Walkability (dining, entertainment) from the hotel. Like in a town square area instead of on a freeway.
2) Easy transport into DT Detroit via rideshare or metro(?) mornings and evenings.

I may bite the bullet and find a Airbnb but we prefer the reliability of brand name hotels.

Thanks for any input or ideas.
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 04:07 PM

544 posts, read 901,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I'll be back in Detroit again in 2020 (was there 2018) around July 4th and, incredibly, every decent hotel downtown is sold out for July 1-6 2020.

1) Walkability (dining, entertainment) from the hotel. Like in a town square area instead of on a freeway.
2) Easy transport into DT Detroit via rideshare or metro(?) mornings and evenings.

I may bite the bullet and find a Airbnb but we prefer the reliability of brand name hotels.

Steve
There is an AA convention at Ford Field that week, hence the hotel situation. I would look at Dearborn...straight shot into the city on Michigan Avenue.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:01 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Walkability is the hard part. Most of the small hotels and motels along the freeways have nothing of significance to walk to.

If you like malls for walking, you could try Novi.

There is a neat B & B on Grosse Ile called Bishops Cottage. IT is about $150 a night I think. You wan walk down to the water, or on the trials, or through the sort of one street town. It is not hopping with life, but there are some places to visit. It takes about 35-40 minutes to get downtown. Shorter if you are outside of traffic.

Maybe there is something in Royal Oak or Birmingham.

Old 10-07-2019, 09:17 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,015 times
There is a new (opened about a year ago) Hyatt Place right in downtown Royal Oak that is right in the thick of things there.
Lots of restaurants, bars, some shops, and people-watching there.
Easy ride-share trip to downtown Detroit from there.
https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/mi...oyal-oak/dtwzr

That is going to be by far, your best bet for a chain hotel (if available) in a commercial district and reasonably close to downtown Detroit.

There are two hotels in Birmingham, which is about 10-15 minutes up Woodward Ave.
There is a very mediocre Holiday Inn Express right on Woodward across from downtown Birmingham.
Right in downtown Birmingham there is a more expensive and swank boutique hotel, the Townsend. This used to be where most of the bands and NBA teams would stay when they used to play up at the now-defunct Palace of Auburn Hills.

There are also couple of hotels in/near downtown Dearborn as well. Right near Michigan Ave, I believe a Hampton Inn & Comfort Inn.
Decent number of restaurants & bars, including several Middle Eastern restaurants in the area. Also good if interested in hitting up The Henry Ford/Greenfield Village. Nowhere near the nightlife and scene you would find in Royal Oak but it holds its own and a viable option. Also halfway between the airport and downtown if that is a factor, only about 15 minutes from DTW.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:58 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Thanks, that helps. I'll check these suggestions.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
The Henry Ford hotel (forget the official name) is right across the street from Greenfield Village/Henry Ford Museum, but it is not to everyone's liking. it is a very old/old fashioned hotel. Rooms are small most were built without bathrooms. I think some of the bathrooms are down the hall from the rooms, but some rooms have bathrooms. I have not stayed there since we live nearby, but I have had visitors stay there. Most did not like it. I did have access to a room for a couple of days during an event, I did not have any issues with it, but then all I did was use it as a place to change clothing and once take a nap. Plus I am not very picky about hotels.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:25 PM

59 posts, read 88,668 times
I would recommend anything close to downtown Royal Oak/Ferndale which is a straight shot north of downtown Detroit via Woodward (and also taking I-75). These 2 downtowns are close to each other, fun and very safe and only 15 minutes from Downtown Detroit. I know there's a small hotel near downtown Royal Oak, 100% sure it should be booked by now, I should know, I'm an Airbnb host!

If you have trouble finding a hotel then you should definitely consider an Airbnb, 3 out of my 5 Airbnbs in the suburbs near Royal Oak have been booked for months for those dates, my Detroit house that I'm rehabbing just got booked without being finished rehabbing! Some people tried to book it with no pictures! this is going to be the biggest event in the city in a long time, the demand is crazy, some travelers got lucky and booked houses at regular rates because hosts were not aware of the event (they got me on 2 of my houses) but now mostly all hosts are aware and the prices are shooting thru the roof, so if you're lucky to get someone just opening up their calendar to those dates and they have no idea about the event you could find a deal otherwise start opening up the wallet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit