U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 07:45 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,763,830 times

Advertisements

So sad, 4 young high school kids could have been kept alive if a subway system was available in the Metro Detroit area and would have also saved another life; the person who was drunk driving would have had a 24 hour designated driver and would not be rotting away in jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 05:27 PM

5 posts, read 9,176 times
Thats a very valid point. If we have a Light Rail train then those that want to go out for some drinks and that will cut down on the drunk drivers out on the road. On the same note it gets people to differernt parts of the community and creates whats called "walkable communities". Picture it you need to get to work in the morning, well you walk a couple blocks or ride your bike to the closest stop. Buy your ticket for a couple bucks thats good for a couple hours so if you need to transfer you dont have to buy another ticket. The train comes you simply walk on and stand or sit til your stop within a short distance of your destination comes up and you just get off the train. Go to work. Now this has cut out having to, lets say its winter, go out and warm up your car wasting gas and polluting the air not to mention trying to find and pay for a parking spot. Now your off work and you just repeat the process to get home, now you have paid like 4 bucks to commute from work to home. How much gas would you have burned to merely get to and from work? How about traffic?

Now lets say you need to got to the store or you want to got to the club or the bar.....you could ride the train all day and it wouldnt cost you as much as it would have to get to and from work that morning. And people, as dumb as it is, are always going to drive drunk and pedestrians like these 4 kids are always going to end up dead or injured. If we can keep one or the other or both off the street then we will see a significant decline in these incidents. And the car is not the dominate form of transportation anymore and for Detroit to put all of their "egg in one basket" and make the auto industry the only thing we rely on is foolish and what you are seeing going on here as in the loss of jobs are only the beginning if we are going to continue to stick with that way of thinking.

China is going to steer away for cars and they are building thousands of miles of track for a LIGHT RAIL so you can expect to not be selling to them and the same with Europe and the rest of Asia. Now the greener that America gets the less we will be selling cars here. Do we really want to be the only ones in the WORLD that doesnt have a system especially when prosperity and safty follows the construction of a light rail? We really need it to not even just be built here in Detroit, but through out the whole of Michigan connecting to the surrounding states as well. But it needs to start somewhere and since Detroit is one of the major cities here in Michigan then it needs to start here.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:38 PM

11 posts, read 224,847 times
Southeast Michigan needs a mass transit system as much as it needs better public schools, but this ain't it folks. This is just a waste of "FREE federal ie taxpayer money". There is a better way, but the politicos don't have a clue how to find it.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:39 PM

955 posts, read 1,983,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykel76 View Post
On the same note it gets people to differernt parts of the community and creates whats called "walkable communities". Picture it you need to get to work in the morning, well you walk a couple blocks or ride your bike to the closest stop. Buy your ticket for a couple bucks thats good for a couple hours so if you need to transfer you dont have to buy another ticket. The train comes you simply walk on and stand or sit til your stop within a short distance of your destination comes up and you just get off the train. Go to work. Now this has cut out having to, lets say its winter, go out and warm up your car wasting gas and polluting the air not to mention trying to find and pay for a parking spot. Now your off work and you just repeat the process to get home, now you have paid like 4 bucks to commute from work to home. How much gas would you have burned to merely get to and from work? How about traffic?

And the car is not the dominate form of transportation anymore and for Detroit to put all of their "egg in one basket" and make the auto industry the only thing we rely on is foolish and what you are seeing going on here as in the loss of jobs are only the beginning if we are going to continue to stick with that way of thinking.

Do we really want to be the only ones in the WORLD that doesnt have a system especially when prosperity and safty follows the construction of a light rail?
Paragraph One - the "walkable community". Walking is great and so is biking. I walk and bike 30 to 50 miles a week - at a place and time of my choosing. But this romance of walking on a typical subfreezing midwestern morning to wait for a streetcar that will not be on time is not romantic to most people. And for $4, I could drive comfortably for fifty miles.

Paragraph Two - the car is not the dominant form of transportation. Ok, I give. What form of transportation is dominant?

Paragraph Three - prosperity follows light rail. I'm sure Portland has a wonderful system. Chicago has a wonderful commuter rail system. I really try to envision prosperity from Grand Circus to Eight Mile and the happy folks going to non existent work places, clubs, and grocery stores along the route is a vision I have a hard time seeing. I hope I am wrong. I just do not see it happening. Just give everyone free taxi service at lower cost and have the same outcome as light rail.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:32 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,763,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Paragraph One - the "walkable community". Walking is great and so is biking. I walk and bike 30 to 50 miles a week - at a place and time of my choosing. But this romance of walking on a typical subfreezing midwestern morning to wait for a streetcar that will not be on time is not romantic to most people. And for $4, I could drive comfortably for fifty miles.
The 2 million people who live in Chicago say different. People are out walking in temps that are in the teens as well when it's pouring down rain.

It's also easier to strike up a conversation with a person while waiting a a crosswalk or waiting platform instead of following someone to their office or home in the car to talk.

You could talk to a cute girl or guy while waiting and perhaps make it easier to find the special someone, where as if your sitting in traffic and saw them, then you followed them in your car to their house just to talk to them. I believe they would be creep out if you follow them in your car to their house just too talk to them.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:51 AM

6,011 posts, read 7,066,509 times
wow i didnt know detroit didnt have a train system for its size(land mass) and population

Old 03-21-2009, 12:43 AM

5 posts, read 9,176 times
Quote:
Quote:

Paragraph Two - the car is not the dominant form of transportation. Ok, I give. What form of transportation is dominant?

Paragraph Three - prosperity follows light rail. I'm sure Portland has a wonderful system. Chicago has a wonderful commuter rail system. I really try to envision prosperity from Grand Circus to Eight Mile and the happy folks going to non existent work places, clubs, and grocery stores along the route is a vision I have a hard time seeing. I hope I am wrong. I just do not see it happening. Just give everyone free taxi service at lower cost and have the same outcome as light rail.

Okay so maybe gas has come down in price for a moment, but what happens when it goes back up? Sorry but it been costing like 50 or more dollars to fill a gas tank, so whatev.

If you keep on transit current events then you will notice that Europe, Asia, Middle East and America is investing in light rail due to "Going Green" and reducing dependance on oil and burning of fossil fuels. I hate to say it but people are going to be lost when that dying industry has disappeared. Deny it if you want, but nothing is built to last not even cars will be here forever.

Everyone keeps saying that there is nowhere to go in Downtown. And ya know what your right there is nowhere at this point to go. But everytime these rail lines are built development and redevelopment follows. It might seem like a hard concept if you have never seen it happen in real life but living in a town that was transformed by just a few light rail lines I have seen it for myself. Nobody is saying this happens over night, but I lived in Portland for 5 years and that town is nothing now that it used to be when I moved there. Its actually gone from a nasty dirty town to a beautiful city with alot to offer.

If Detroit is so hopeless as everyone seems to think it is then, really what do we have to lose? If private businesses want to fund it then let them. After its built if there is a shortfall in funding then its the state of Michigan that makes up for it. If we are looking for it to fail then it surely will. Lets try to be a little more positive here.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:19 AM

955 posts, read 1,983,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykel76 View Post

If you keep on transit current events then you will notice that Europe, Asia, Middle East and America is investing in light rail due to "Going Green" and reducing dependance on oil and burning of fossil fuels. I hate to say it but people are going to be lost when that dying industry has disappeared. Deny it if you want, but nothing is built to last not even cars will be here forever.

If Detroit is so hopeless as everyone seems to think it is then, really what do we have to lose? If private businesses want to fund it then let them. After its built if there is a shortfall in funding then its the state of Michigan that makes up for it. If we are looking for it to fail then it surely will. Lets try to be a little more positive here.
I am not supporting car transport as part of my thoughts on the subject. I am simply saying that you are proposing spending huge amounts of money to service an incredibly tiny slice of the Michigan population. You then say that the state should subsidize what will be a very large shortfall. Have you looked at the financial state of affairs in Michigan? Just where would this money come from?

There are huge segments of Michigan which have absolutely no public transportation. Is your solution to force everyone to move to a very concentrated area so everyone must adhere to a single philospohy regarding "greenness"? Shall we fence off everything outside of Detroit and not allow anyone to live there since there is no public transportation?

And finally, I would love to get a contract to build a light rail system if I knew that it would not have to pay for itself since the taxpayers would have to subsidize the shortfall.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:14 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,547,649 times
Ok I haven't read 12 pages of this thread so if i repeat points I apologize. I feel this can be good for the city. Most all major cities have some form of mass transit except for Detroit. This rail should just be the begining. The rail could be helpful in Detroit's development. From what I have read, they plan to build the Ann Arbor rail that will connect to this Woodward rail, and to metro airport. Every city that has built a rail system like this, has experienced growth and increased revenue. This could lead to development in retail and condos along Woodward. Now with a pipeline feeding downtown Detroit to metro airport, maybe downtown Detroit becomes a more desirable area for businesses to locate to, which is ultimately what Detroit needs. Hopefully this is the begining of mass transit in south east Michigan. The rail should connect to downtown Pontiac. Also rails along Grand River, Michigan, and Gratiot would feed the suburbs. The problem lies, that Detroit is more segregated than any other metro area I have seen. I can't see an instance in which Birmingham and Bloomfield would want a rail running through their cities connecting Detroit and Pontiac. One of the biggest problems with this area is the dividing lines. Once we break these barriers and get the three counties united, can we focus on rebuilding this area. Oakland county needs Detroit as much as Detroit needs Oakland county.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:33 AM

70 posts, read 271,652 times
Any improvements in public transit in Detroit and the Metro is a good idea and a large part why the DMT is so undesirable. Lack of public transit and walkability promotes the disease called sprawl. I personally do not find miles upon miles of one story strip malls desirable dotted with nasty subdivisions.

All decent metro areas have good public transit. SF, Chicago, NYC, Boston, DC etc...

Moderator cut: inappropriate language

Last edited by Yac; 03-24-2009 at 02:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or