U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 02:18 PM

186 posts, read 537,628 times

Advertisements

I think i'ts a reasonable opportunity but it shouldn't becoming out of Michigan Tax Payers pockets and it should extend further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 09:08 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,805,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Yeah, I'm starting to think you're rather new to the area, just out of college, or have just moved in from the suburbs yourself. I'm not sure you really understand the unique dynamics of metro Detroit. I appreciate your enthusiasm - Lord knows Detroit needs it - but what you're missing is that 'Detroit' as a whole is a suburb. It is the ONLY major city in the United States that has no core functioning at critical mass.

I know one of the men who led the transformation of Southfield into a commercial center. At the time, they thought it would share commercial space with downtown in the same way that Tysons Corner shares commercial space with downtown DC. He had no idea it would sap downtown of its business. He has in many ways regretted his efforts ever since. Dallas has tons of corporate headquarters downtown, so their light rail system has worked.

I have a friend (young, small idealistic woman) who moved to Brush Park - one of the only houses left standing on her block - and really tried to build a life there. After a couple muggings and having her vehicle broken into numerous times, she had to retreat to Ferndale. Her life was in danger.

This is the reality of Detroit, whether any of us want to admit it or not. Until that changes, no suburbanites are going to spend their time down there (which is in itself a long trek from the economic heart of the region in Oakland County) except for special events.

Seriously - I love Detroit. It's the most fascinating city I know, but you're kind of dreaming of fairy tale land, then accusing me of expecting the worst, when in reality I'm simply facing the unique reality of the region. It's a tough city and some trains to places people won't yet go aren't going to change that right away.

This person makes a good point. DC was where the Metro's seeds bore fruit. It was a sucess cause it grew as the region did, slowly radiating out towards Arlington and close in suburban maryland during the late 70s when those areas really started to get big (like the Feds in general did).

Tysons was more gradual and now the regional government is wisely looking to manage that growth.

Metro Detroit has growth, but it is shrouded by loss. Also it is larger I believe than Portland which I don't believe has the decentralization that the D has economically. The entire state would want to make sure they get at least a farebox recovery over 45%.

The BART system would probably be the best model for Metro Detroit if it were to follow the design that someone mentioned radiating from the city towards Oakland County.

BART - Station List

It is a relatively recent system as well (mid 70s)

It would be MUCH smaller and only go to the suburbs with most density.

The city itself needs to get better though, THEN there needs to be stronger regional governorship. THEN you guys should think about building the new thing.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:02 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,805,859 times
I heard that actually oakland county USED to have trains going from Detroit to Pontiac even after the war until subsidies ended.

With regards to serving the suburbs which should they serve? I understand that it would have to be concentrated in the Southeast part of the county. But Southfield and troy are in opposite directions, one borders the city while the other borders macomb. I guess it would have to run through or near the older cities of Ferndale/Royal Oak, etc. or you have two radiating lines one heading to the west and the other heading north to pontiac.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:04 PM

57,831 posts, read 76,785,039 times
i got family near detroit. this is a wonderful idea. i dont think they are getting the opportunity to really get to know detroit in a locked steel vehicle aka automobile. i think it would be so much more intimate for my young blond sister and her 2 daughters to ride the streetcar at night dont you? wow they would get to meet so many new friends.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:43 PM

8 posts, read 12,709 times
This is nuts! Of course the Metro needs some kind of rail or subway. Its upsurd that its not already there. I grew up, born and raised in Detroit. Purchased my first house up in Pontiac. I have lived in Chi town, Brooklyn, Londan, and now the D.C. metro. With a train Detroit would change over night. Please, all you nay-sayers, travel a little bit to some inner city's around the country that were once only places the walking dead would live, and you would understand. Detroit has been lucky this long only because of the Auto-industry. Guess what, that ship has sailed. Heres what would happen. The young hipsters that the state is loosing to the brain train would stick around, if they could live in A2 and train into the city for work and play. There would be a massive amount of jobs just for the transit authority alone. No more spending millions of dollars a year patching freeways. Specific suburbs like Ferndale and Royal Oak,would no longer be considered =that side of 8 mile= they would now be just a Detroit borough, like Brooklyn is too Manhatten or Queens. Property values would go thru the roof!! in hoods that have a Metro stop close too it. Theres a reason why a shack in brooklyn or D.C. is double the cost of anything in Detroit. The Subways!!! There are so many benifits too this, I challenge anyone to challenge me on this. Every major metro city in the U.S. that has added some kind of train/light rail system in the past 10 to 20 has grown more than 10%.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:51 PM

8 posts, read 12,709 times
Great Post Scrolls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or