U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:37 PM

686 posts, read 3,500,005 times

Advertisements

Saw this story on WDIV today about a proposed Light Rail system running up Woodward Ave. and ending at the city limits. What do you think? Here's a link to the story on WDIV if you would like to watch...

Video (http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/15949758/index.html?taf=ibs - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 07:57 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,139,185 times
Won't happen in our lifetime. First of all, people drive like idiots on Woodward as it is. You put rail in like the old days and you're asking for trouble.

Metro Detroit is also way too polarized. Very few people in the burbs regularly head into the city and they want city people coming into the burbs even less. It MIGHT work if it was a commuter rail with few stops, but this defeats the purpose and would kill the deal. Besides, they could do this using the rail already in place east of Woodward, like they did 25 years ago (Amtrak still uses this line).

Governments gave public land away to rail in the 19th century to entice them to come. This paradigm is outdated and rail companies go out of their way now to screw the public when they hardly use these lines. Governments should seize back these lines by eminent domain. We're already paying for all the highways that semi trucks wreck. Let trucks completely take over the role of rail freight. Use rail for the public, just as we do for most canals today. This would be much cheaper than ripping out streets like Woodward and laying down track. Maintenance is also much more expensive when you have so many grade crossings.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:49 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,138,976 times
LOL. Just perfect... if you thought Detroit wasn't broke yet, why not add a $140M/yr operating expense for a rail no one will use?

Let's see, there's busses, the people mover, now light rail. Maybe throw in some row boats, wheel barrow or two and some pogo sticks and Detroit public transit will be perfect.

I can see the headlines already. "Detroit light rail operational." Next article "Northern 'burbs begin construction on a 16', barbed wire fence."

Old 04-21-2008, 08:54 PM

695 posts, read 3,159,544 times
I was watching a show on HGTV the other day where this woman wanted to buy a house near the MARTA in Atlanta. It was really fascinating to have a rail system that runs downtown and to the suburbs. In my opinion this train would be a waste. I couldn't think of anyone who actually drives Woodward often, if ever except directly downtown. Sure the airport and Ann Arbor could somehow be involved, but if you ask me, a much better idea is the Ann Arbor-Detroit commuter train, or something similar running up to Royal Oak or something. A train running down Woodward and stopping at the city limits? Not a great idea, and not one that's going to happen.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:57 PM

686 posts, read 3,500,005 times
Interesting. I personally think it costs too much. Wonder what they would do about the safety of the line? Supposedly some D-DOT buses are so dangerous, armed Wayne County sherriff's patrol the buses. Same situation on the light rail?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:13 AM

8 posts, read 20,886 times
It will be a vast improvement. Light rail is not perfect, however it is a good start in the right direction. \

In Michigan, the cost for constructing a single mile of freeway in 2003 was 1,454,462 millionn.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:51 AM

955 posts, read 1,983,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mostbiggest View Post
It will be a vast improvement. Light rail is not perfect, however it is a good start in the right direction. \

In Michigan, the cost for constructing a single mile of freeway in 2003 was 1,454,462 millionn.
Guess what? The construction costs per mile of light rail range from $15 million per mile to $100 million per mile. These are facts from a listing of existing light rail projects in this country and Canada. The higher range of costs is where things like tunneling and grade separation are required.

So let's say Detroit's only cost $25 million per mile. That sure is a lot more than the $1.5 million per mile you quoted and sure carries a heck of a lot more people.

And I guess that I do not understand why the airport would be excited about a stretch of light rail that goes from Jefferson to Eight Mile.

Heck, if you want to do something exciting, run real trains on the old N&W right of way right to the airport and have connectors to Ann Arbor. Then you have something the masses will utilize.

I'm open to hear the cost benefit analysis.

Last edited by UpperPeninsulaRon; 04-22-2008 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: error

Old 04-22-2008, 04:08 PM

866 posts, read 3,876,562 times
This just seems like another waste of money to me, it seems like another "toy" as the people mover is in downtown.

If they really want to invest into something long term that seems worth while at all would be the proposed Detroit-Ann Arbor rail line, this one would actually go out of Detroit!!

Who knows if it will actually ever break ground, they have been talking about a new bridge to Canada for YEARS!! The same with the demolition of Tiger Stadium. Stop the talk, and actually get in done.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:43 PM

10 posts, read 18,823 times
That's going to save detroit. Many people are loyal to the city, and they will come back if businesses are there. Look what it did for cleaveland.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:07 AM

8,710 posts, read 10,604,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benisjamin217 View Post
That's going to save detroit. Many people are loyal to the city, and they will come back if businesses are there. Look what it did for cleaveland.
What did it do for Cleveland? There was just a post here saying Cleveland is going downhill too. I don't know if that is true, but...I was in Cleveland for the weekend last year and I had a great time. A little cleaner than Detroit and lots more to do in walking distance, I thought. It's different when you live there, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or