U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 09:53 AM

1,083 posts, read 3,338,833 times

Advertisements

A friend is looking at relocating to the Detroit area and her realtor is pushing Lathrup Village. I spent some years in suburban Detroit, but know nothing about this community(and 20 years later my info isn't very good about the communities I did know). What is this village like? What type of people live there? I know she can get a lot for her money, but what is the area's personality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 01:05 PM

695 posts, read 3,159,544 times
It is decent in my experience. Rather a bedroom community, nested in Southfield. It is like Southfield in many ways, and also in the sense that there is a pretty much even 50/50 split of black people and white people. If your friend would have a problem with that, then Lathrup probably isn't for you. It is a quiet nice place though, not a whole lot to do, no real shopping or anything, just houses. Plan on being in Southfield and other burbs a lot.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:39 PM

866 posts, read 3,876,562 times
I always thought of it as a Southfield neighborhood, with it's own city limits. I don't think that there is any commercial in the city at all. Overall a good city to live, not to much different from the City of Southfield.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:14 PM

695 posts, read 3,159,544 times
The big thing in Southfield is the town center. Tallest buildings in Michigan outside of Detroit. My mom worked there about 20 years.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:52 AM

1,083 posts, read 3,338,833 times
I didn't really know Southfield either. I just remember it as a sort of sterile city with office buildings in the center.

I guess I should rephrase my question: What is it about Lathrup Village that make someone WANT to live there? Why Lathrup Village over Royal Oak or Birmingham. ANY reason besides cost?

Money is not an issue, she's coming from Chicago where house prices are much higher, the realtor just seems to be pushing this city, and I can't figure it out

Old 04-23-2008, 03:51 PM

866 posts, read 3,876,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthera View Post
I didn't really know Southfield either. I just remember it as a sort of sterile city with office buildings in the center.

I guess I should rephrase my question: What is it about Lathrup Village that make someone WANT to live there? Why Lathrup Village over Royal Oak or Birmingham. ANY reason besides cost?

Money is not an issue, she's coming from Chicago where house prices are much higher, the realtor just seems to be pushing this city, and I can't figure it out
I honestly would not know why the realtor would be pushing that city, if you can afford a place like Royal Oak, or Birmingham I would much rather live in either of those two cities than Lathrup Village. Birmingham homes are much more expensive and upscale over LV homes, and I would pick Royal Oak over LV because there is more at your "fingertips", Downtown Royal Oak is very nice with stores and a very nice walking district, the exact same goes for Birmingham, and Birmingham is a very short drive from Royal Oak. I am not trying to bash Lathrup Village, but it does not have any of these small community feel ammenities.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:47 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,300,457 times
LV is just boring suburbia. Some people like that, but I would defintely choose Royal Oak, Berkley or other cities near that area. They just have more character than Southfield or LV IMO. I personally don't like Birmingham because I see a lot of ostentatiousness, but to each his own I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit