Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,459 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I accepted a job offer in Warren, MI so I'll be moving to the metro Detroit area soon, from Boston. But with recent events regarding coronavirus, I am not able to visit Detroit and its suburbs to get a feel for the place myself, so I will have to rent a place remotely and hope it works out. That means it's really important to find the right neighborhood for me. I hope you guys can help! I'll list what I'm looking for:

- Urban (lots of shops, restaurants, bars in close proximity)
- Young/Hip (I'm 22)
- Bike-friendly (can buy groceries / go to the gym / do errands by bike)
- Pedestrian-friendly
- Safe
- Not too long of a commute to work (Warren)
- Would like to live in the downtown area of the city
- Budget: <$1300 for a 2br 1ba

Portrayals in the media suggest that Detroit is nothing like what I am looking for, but maybe you guys can help me find the next best thing.

Thank you!
NM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 08:42 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,940,815 times
#1 areas that are going to fit most of what you desire is going to be Royal Oak and Ferndale.
Those two are probably the safest bet to attempt to be able to find something relatively remotely.
I would caution a lot about signing to rent a place sight unseen, and maybe you can delay until we are at a point when its safe and feasible to travel to Michigan.

Midtown area of Detroit could be an option, to be in part of the City of Detroit. Its a reserve commute to Warren, and a little bit further, but puts you closer to a lot of things in the city.
You could go either way on this since Royal Oak & Ferndale are pretty close and easy to get into Detroit for the amenities of the big city, without some of the hassles of the city itself.

Old 04-12-2020, 08:50 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,009 times
Rochester might work for you. Not too far of a commute. Oakland Univ. is there, so a lot of people your age around.

Old 04-12-2020, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,459 times
I'll take a look at Royal Oak + Ferndale then, thanks. I start in July so perhaps if coronavirus dies down in the next month or so, I can go visit before buying.

Thanks!

Old 04-14-2020, 03:30 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,578 times
It is only a 25 minute commute to Warren from downtown Detroit.

Royal Oak and Ferndale are vibrant suburbs and nice complements, but Detroit (downtown, midtown, Corktown, Eastern Market) is the real thing.

The $1300 for a 2 bedroom won't get you anything downtown, but try Corktown or Midtown or Lafayette Park (residential district east of downtown, here is 2BD starting at $1,384/month)

The Ashley is a beautiful historic apartment building right in the middle of downtown, with 2 BD starting at $1,450. You can watch Detroit Tigers baseball games from your apartment window!!
https://princetonmanagement.com/comm...ey-apartments/

The following website shows apartment buildings and their monthly rent in the Midtown and New Center areas
https://midtowndetroitinc.org/live/rent

The Union at Midtown has 2 BD starting at $1,000
https://www.apartmentguide.com/apart...nts/100029475/

Good luck.

Last edited by usroute10; 04-14-2020 at 04:12 AM..

Old 04-15-2020, 08:06 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,494,837 times
I'm guessing you are going to be working at the GM Tech Center?

If so, Royal Oak and Ferndale is where a lot of your young, single co-workers currently live.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
I'm guessing you are going to be working at the GM Tech Center?

If so, Royal Oak and Ferndale is where a lot of your young, single co-workers currently live.
Mr. Sellers is correct about alot of younger adults at the GM Tech Center living in Royal Oak/Ferndale.

However, the core of Detroit has the Cultural Center, Eastern Market, the Dequindre Cut, Belle Isle, the Riverwalk, New Center, Mexicantown, and direct access to Windsor, Canada. When the coronavirus pandemic finally dies down, you have concerts and sporting events downtown. Hamtramck is a few miles away.

Detroit is not as safe, and your auto insurance will be significantly higher. However, in my humble opinion, it offers a larger diversity of amenities/activities. Royal Oak does have the zoo. Detroit doesn't have a major cinema.

So the young man has options.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:57 AM

779 posts, read 424,113 times
I'll put in another vote for Royal Oak / Ferndale. Wife grew up there, her parents still live there. We've been out and about numerous times and it's definitely a happening place for young people. They have a nice farmers market with lots of vendors. Lots of bars/restaurants. Went to a few street/art fairs too. Lots to do.

We live in Livonia, and nearby Plymouth has a lot of the same vibes as Royal Oak. But I think that's probably getting further west than you would want.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:04 PM

4,624 posts, read 4,891,252 times
Nothing in metro Detroit is like anything in eastern Mass. Straight wide roads, low density.
Very, very little is bike friendly. Everything is too far away and separated by 60 mph roads.

Old 04-23-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Nothing in metro Detroit is like anything in eastern Mass. Straight wide roads, low density.
Very, very little is bike friendly. Everything is too far away and separated by 60 mph roads.
I agree with everything except the bolded. Where the OP would be looking at - in/near downtown and the Royal Oak/Ferndale have really stepped up their bike infrastructure. Detroit city has implemented protected (with barriers) bike lanes on Cass, Michigan Avenue, Trumbull, East Jefferson & Joseph Campau, as well as unprotected bike lanes on streets like 2nd, 3rd, Warren Avenue, Lafayette, etc. Also, we have urban greenways with the Dequindre Cut and the Riverwalk. Lastly in the outer areas, the city has built/is building protected bike lanes on Livernois, Grand River, and West Six Mile.

Ferndale implemented protected bike lanes on Livernois and unprotected bike lanes West Nine Mile and Hilton. Royal Oak has unprotected bike lanes on all of its major streets except Woodward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit