Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 12:51 AM

261 posts, read 505,925 times

Advertisements

Anybody remember the Dog House?

There's a small chain in town that goes by that name now, but I'm talking about the one that was all white and was located by 7 Mile and Gratiot.

That place had the best burgers and coney's I have ever had in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 3,701 times
YES! The chili dogs were AMAZING! The best ever!

Old 08-17-2016, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,603 times
My parents, Francis and Phyllis Swartz built The Dog House in the late 40's and operated it until the early 90's. Thank you for remembering and for your kind words.

Sadly, the neighborhood went down hill and it is now called The Embassy. There was a murder in the parking lot recently and you would now place your order thru bullet proof glass. Glad my parents aren't here to see the decline. It would break their hearts.

I have the recipe for that chili but it is a commercial recipe that would be difficult to make on a small scale. My Father always prided himself in using quality products from Winters Hot Dogs to Brown's Buns to Bays English Muffins... he ground his own round steak in the back room. I could go for one of his chili cheeseburgers now!

Thank you again - you made my day.

Nancy Swartz Harvey
[email]nancy715@sbcglobal.net[/email]

Old 08-25-2016, 08:53 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,188 times
I'll have to ask my Dad. He grew up about a mile from there in the 50s.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:35 PM

2 posts, read 6,379 times
Default The Original Dog House

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan3 View Post
Anybody remember the Dog House?

There's a small chain in town that goes by that name now, but I'm talking about the one that was all white and was located by 7 Mile and Gratiot.

That place had the best burgers and coney's I have ever had in my life.

Yes, I use to work at the Original Dog House Coney Island! I worked with 2 of the original employees. Both had worked there from when it was built.
I worked there from the age of 15 to 18. I use to work the carry out section a lot on the south side, until it closed for the night
And then worked in the front until we closed.
I was the youngest worker there under the original owner.
I was told he sold the place and any recipes (chili) many years after I quit in 1983 because, crime started and and they were held up a few times. We were originally opened until 11pm with no problems!!
I loved the making a cheeseburger with hot dog chili on it.!
It was a great place and was kept VERY clean, I know first hand!!!

The guy that bought it ended up selling after owning it for awhile (a long time) and opened a brand
New family sit down restaurant north of Hall road in Utica "Andary's". I had lived at 26 mile for 20 years and just so, happened to start eating there and randomly discovered he was second owner of "the dog house".
He also sold due to growing crime.
I think he was the one who had expanded the name to more locations.
That's all I know from there.

Old 06-29-2017, 12:45 AM

2 posts, read 6,379 times
Small world!!
I was one of the youngest workers at the Dog House I was told.
My mothers friend "Agnus" worked there and mom was always there drinking coffee.
They needed help and mom told me so, I had filled out the application and was hired!
I worked alongside of Diane (who worked there forever), Agnus and another lady I forget her name but she had a mole on her nose. She too worked there a long time.
I worked there just about 4 years until I graduated in "83" and moved to streling heights.
My mom continued to drink coffee there even after it sold.
I loved working there! We were open late but, never had any problems.
It was a very clean place! I worked the side carry out a lot and then up front after it closed.
I remember watching your dad make the chili!!!
It was poured in rectangular pans and when we took them out we added water and meal.
I also weighed and pressed the burgers.
The chili for dogs was my FAVORITE!!!
It was my first job and I'll never forget it! I absolutely loved working there but, hated smelling like hot dogs and hamburgers after I got off work.i always had to take a shower before going out after, even my hair smelled! Haha

Just so happens the guy that bought the business, ended up down the road selling it and opening a
Family sit down restaurant named "Andarys" in Utica, on van dyke north of hall road.
We eat there still all because my mom sat for hours drinking coffee at the Dog House so long ago!
Crazy small world!
PS, oh how I would LOVE that chili recipe for me and only me!! Nation is close but too much spice!!

Old 07-12-2017, 09:07 PM

7 posts, read 14,124 times
My mother was a waitress there for a while. The food was great.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:02 AM

2 posts, read 4,576 times
The Dog House had the best chili cheeseburger ever! I always looked forward to going there as a kid and wish they were still open. So sad what has happened to that area.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 4,576 times
And boy would I love to have the chili recipe and find out the secret to the burgers!

Old 07-19-2020, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,808 times
Default Remebering the Dog House on Gratiot north of St. Fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyharvey View Post
My parents, Francis and Phyllis Swartz built The Dog House in the late 40's and operated it until the early 90's. Thank you for remembering and for your kind words.

Sadly, the neighborhood went down hill and it is now called The Embassy. There was a murder in the parking lot recently and you would now place your order thru bullet proof glass. Glad my parents aren't here to see the decline. It would break their hearts.

I have the recipe for that chili but it is a commercial recipe that would be difficult to make on a small scale. My Father always prided himself in using quality products from Winters Hot Dogs to Brown's Buns to Bays English Muffins... he ground his own round steak in the back room. I could go for one of his chili cheeseburgers now!

Thank you again - you made my day.

Nancy Swartz Harvey
[email]nancy715@sbcglobal.net[/email]
Hi Nancy,
My name is Dave. I grew up on Morang and 7 mile(Moross) my Grandma lived at Edmore and Hayes.

You made my childhood! As a treat my Mom and Dad would order Dog House for the family and it was always so great! My brother loved the chili, my sisters loved the cheese burgers with onions and pickles only!! I loved the hot dogs and the hamburgers and the french fries were phenomenal!! Your parents also made the best milk shakes and malts! Yes, we got those too! I remember sometimes sitting up front and sometimes in the morning would order breakfast. It was good home-made breakfast!
I was 10 when we moved away in the late 70's but would occasionally go back to the "Old Neighborhood" from time to time. We would stop at the Dog House after my mom and Dad would shop at Giglios Italian Market up the street on Saturdays. My Aunt's also were frequent customers! I still remember going there on a Friday night or Saturday night and going to the Carry-out area with my Dad. The burgers were wrapped in paper and the chili in paper carry-out cups... put in a cardboard little box! We loved you guys! Miss you much! To this day we still make "Dog House burgers"!

Thanks again. You were way better than any McDonalds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: