Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 10:03 PM

5,100 posts, read 4,959,205 times

Advertisements

If so, how, when, and what will it take?

I have heard a lot of bad things about Detroit and have been avoiding it for long...until very recently, made a stop over there, drove around to see the good, the bad and the ugly parts of it before continuing north...

I loved it geographical location, and could to some degree tell its glorious past before things fell off the cliff...man, the city looks so much worse than my already much lowered expectations...I would love to see it gets cleaned up and prospers again, but imho, it will take a herculean effort from a generation of determined and willing residents to bring it back alive again.

What are you locals thinking and planning for your home city??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 10:05 PM

13,059 posts, read 7,493,946 times
the banner title, looks like Detrol. LOL.

Old 08-23-2020, 10:12 PM

5,100 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
the banner title, looks like Detrol. LOL.

Perfectly reflects that something is missing in "Detroit"...lol...

Old 08-25-2020, 09:22 PM

216 posts, read 132,129 times
Default Nah,

Detroit will never recapture its' glorious past when it was the center of everything mechanical. Those days sadly are behind us. Unless, one of the Big Three, were to make some sort of monumental discovery which would be revolutionary and lead to another manufacturing boom and recapture the hustle-bustle and three shift world that made Detroit what it once, was.
Detroit was like New York in that it was also- "The City that never sleeps."
It would repopulate The City and lead to wealth and prosperity once again. Who knows? This COULD....MIGHT....happen. I would not hold my breath however.

Old 08-26-2020, 03:05 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Both parties are responsible for letting millions of manufacturing leave and go over seas.

Until both parties decide to make the necessary steps to bring those jobs back most rust belt cities aren't going to see much growth.

Old 08-26-2020, 04:43 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
I thought it already did. Downtown is the best it’s been in 50 years. The people that lived in the older residential areas have moved out to newer homes in the suburbs. Thousands of old, undesirable homes have been torn down. Much of the city is now a Green Zone.

Old 08-27-2020, 11:58 AM

Default Must Happen,

We did not let jobs go. The world merely became a smaller place. It is not so simple as that. It was corporations which took advantage of cheaper labor markets. Big business is always in search of lower costs.
In the seventies the Japanese could import iron , make steel, and then ship it to the U.S. cheaper than we could manufacture it from domestic deposits, ourselves. How could we compete with that ? We can't even manufacture Dollar Store stuff anymore.
The U.S. had so much of a higher living standard than the rest of the world that it would catch up to us. More than half the Chinese population was still living without electricity into the eighties.
Toyota helped edge us toward the abyss. It is said, I have seen it written, that artificial intelligence will take over all labor jobs within the next fifty years. That autonomous tractor trailer rigs is all that will be on the highways within twenty years.
We can't go back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Both parties are responsible for letting millions of manufacturing leave and go over seas.

Until both parties decide to make the necessary steps to bring those jobs back most rust belt cities aren't going to see much growth.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:34 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Detroit has made a comeback. It is localized in Midtown, downtown, eastern market, corktown, the waterront, indian village, Mexican Village, and a few other areas. You can still find areas that are abandoned empty, run down etc. Del Rey for example is basically empty, but it will soon be the home to Americas largest Port of Entry, so that will change. It will not be a place to live or shop, but it will be bustling.

Detroit is a huge city geographically. I saw something that said you can fit all of Manhattan, Boston, and San Francisco into Detroit's footprint with room to spare. You can see one part of Detroit, drive a few miles and see something completely different. You can find what you want to find and you will see what you expect to see. It depends on where you go and how open your eyes are.

Will Detroit ever again be considered the most beautiful city in the United States? Probably not. The "Paris of the West" is mostly gone. However it is a very nice city right now. It is just right sized. Lots to do and see and enough people wandering about to be interesting without being crowded. When it comes to cultural venues (museums, theaters, stadiums music halls etc) it is one of the best cities out there. Still I bring my brother into the City and the only thing he can see is the buildings that are no longer there. The few remaining derelict buildings or the demotion of decaying infrastructure. The restored architectural gems and new places, the lively atmosphere and hundreds or thousands of people having a nice time are invisible to him. He does not see the hundreds o new shops, taverns and restaurants that were nto there five years ago. He only sees what is gone, and what remains empty. What you see in Detroit partly depends on you.

Old 08-27-2020, 04:47 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,401,332 times
In addition, my family is shocked when they find out that Detroit area has a pretty big Asian community. When one thinks of Asian Americans, they look at either coast, but big cities in the upper Midwest like Chicago and Detroit have a lot of Asian Americans as well. I’d wager that it’s significantly larger than a good chunk of cities in the south and Rockies regions.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:44 PM

Default Yes,

I know what you mean. When I moved here from the southwestern U.S. I was flat amazed . Thinking that Joe Randazzos's seemed a likely place to go for fruits and vegetables -was when first I became amazed. One could just stand there and from one spot, look around and recognize foreign born immigrants from all parts of the Earth. Hear different languages too.
Southeast Asians, Americans, Mexicans (caring for the fruit of course), Pakistanis, Slavic people, Middle Easterners, Africans, I was taken aback. Excuse me but I am sure I have missed some other honorable mention ethnicities I am sure. Ah yes, the Italians. Canadians. Poles.
If so I apologize. Frankly, I would not know what to do with some of the also, foreign looking fruits and vegetables from Randazzo's. I do not recognize even the names, of some exotic looking produce either.

Northerners spoke English with different inflections also. Here are two pronunciations of words in which I noticed a slight differentiation. They even talk like this on the radio over the air, I noticed.
Saahcks equaled, Socks, here.
Dollars, is sometimes pronounced Daahlers here. This word becomes nasally even and can become drawled out. Someone told me that these are derived from a New York inflection, but I do not know.
One more thing I noticed. People are far more enlightened here and less backwards. Mostly. Highly skilled, smart.
I understood also that Canada, has a very large Asian Community. Where I am from has a tiny Asian Community less than 5% I think. African Americans were 5% of the population.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
In addition, my family is shocked when they find out that Detroit area has a pretty big Asian community. When one thinks of Asian Americans, they look at either coast, but big cities in the upper Midwest like Chicago and Detroit have a lot of Asian Americans as well. I’d wager that it’s significantly larger than a good chunk of cities in the south and Rockies regions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit