Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 06:42 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,158,204 times

Advertisements

https://www.wsj.com/articles/is-amer...is-11611853467

Detroit style deep dish pizza is popping up in other cities like Portland, Austin, New York City, Nashville, and Philadelphia. Little Caesar's begin offering it several years ago, now Pizza Hut is getting into the game. But a lot of people have never heard of it.

Even Cook's Country of PBS did an episode on about a year ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijHutbC2JnE

Barstool Sports was in town recently and reviewed Nikis in Greektown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L97dem-ei1Y
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 07:34 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Buddy's pretty much invented Detroit Style pizza I think. Jets made it widespread.

However other places have claimed the style as their style of pizza.

Old 02-05-2021, 07:47 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
The 2 closest Pizza Huts near me have gone out of business within the past 2 years.

Old 02-05-2021, 11:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We haven't been to Pizza Hut since the 1980s. No, I have not heard of Detroit Style pizza either. Mind you, I was here 15 years before I knew there was a "Seattle Style" hot dog (topped with cream cheese and sauteed onions) and still haven't had one.

Old 02-05-2021, 02:32 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Little Caesar's begin offering it several years ago, now Pizza Hut is getting into the game.
Little Caesar's has been offering Detroit-style pizza for decades, the flagship deep dish pizza. They were the one's who popularized it nationwide; the company and its founders hailing from Detroit.

I loved their deep dish combo at the Super Kmart Center restaurant in West Houston back in the mid-'90s. I also remember purchasing a whole deep dish pizza one Sunday, the week before the Super Bowl, around that time.

Also saw that Cook's Country episode air on the Create subchannel a few weeks ago.

Old 02-06-2021, 12:15 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
What'chu all know about Quad City style pizza?

Took me 25 yrs to realize it was a regional thing where I grew up.

Old 02-06-2021, 04:35 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Detroit-style pizza is okay. The best pizza, in my opinion, is at mom&pop authentic Italian restaurants.

Old 02-07-2021, 01:25 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Little Caesar's has been offering Detroit-style pizza for decades, the flagship deep dish pizza. They were the one's who popularized it nationwide; the company and its founders hailing from Detroit.
Quite certain Little Caesar's rolled out the deep dish in '13.

As far as Pizza Hut is concerned, no thank you. Even a Detroit style pizza will not lead me to spending money there. I won't even eat Pizza Hut for free.

Old 02-07-2021, 03:31 PM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post

As far as Pizza Hut is concerned, no thank you. Even a Detroit style pizza will not lead me to spending money there. I won't even eat Pizza Hut for free.
I don't get all the Pizza Hut hate I've encountered over the years. Although all their Buffalo-area locations are now closed, I was always a fan. Their problem in the Buffalo market specifically seemed to be a decline in popularity over the years/decades, combined with a lot of locally owned competition. Of the two problems I just mentioned, the former is something I don't get.

Old 02-08-2021, 07:44 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post

Quite certain I was buying Caesar’s deep-dish hot-n-ready pizzas in the Detroit suburbs before I moved to Phoenix in 2005.. probably at least as far back as 2003-ish. That said, I never considered that (or jets) to be “Detroit style” pizza..

I would reject Pizza-hut’s version of pizza history and interpretation of any genre or style of pizza, simply because they’re so hyper-corporate.

Whereas every pizza-place I’ve ever favored had a pizza-maker who grabbed handfuls of ingredients and threw them on with some amount of randomness, Pizza Hut has always used measuring cups for pre-mixed ingredients.. They’re too consistent and factory-like to have any credibility with regional variations in pie.

It’s like ordering a cheeseburger at your favorite bar, versus one purchased at McDonald’s..

McDonald’s could likely make the claim that they sell more cheeseburgers than anybody else in the cheeseburger business, but no one who purchases them would ever say McDonald’s made the “best” cheeseburger anywhere.. They make a consistently mediocre cheeseburger quickly and it’s unlikely to make you physically ill, no matter where or when it’s purchased..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit