U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:25 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,606,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Interesting (and encouraging) that Michigan would be better than California for her allergies! California is generally decent for allergies because of the winds off the ocean -- but Santa Anas certainly can be bad for sinuses and allergies. I did notice when I lived in Minnesota that I'd feel better when I went to either Chicago or Detroit -- it's different vegetation, but not that radically different -- yet I've come across others who had the same experience.

Regarding the smoking ban... it looks like it could pass in the coming weeks in Michigan. To be honest, the only way the Detroit area is a consideration is if it is approved -- I moved to SoCal largely, if not primarily, because of the smoking ban. And it's made even more of a difference than I thought -- it is so much easier to socialize and meet people, as so much of that is centered around restaurants, dinners, bars, etc. these days, as opposed to traditional visiting of people at their houses.

Thanks for the comments on Birmingham -- I was a little concerned that might be the case. I'm not really into designer anything, but I enjoy urban, walkable neighborhoods. In SoCal, I love Glendale, but I struggle with Newport Beach!

How much are the condos and lofts in downtown Detroit? About seven years ago, I remember seeing some great new townhomes just north of Comerica Park for $200,000 -- about $100 per square foot. I could not believe it -- if I had the money, I would have bought one as an investment and hope for the future of downtown Detroit to follow that of Denver, Cleveland and San Diego -- in other words, go from semi-abandoned in places to exciting, high energy neighborhoods.

On that last note.... do you think downtown Detroit is on that path?

Also... any thoughts on the Red Wings? Is there a lot of buzz around town about the playoff run -- wow, they look good right now!

Well, you could choose Ohio. They have a smoking ban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 11:22 PM

14 posts, read 42,220 times
I have to buy a house. I grew up around houses with a lot of land and Los Angeles is stifling to me.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:52 AM

421 posts, read 626,175 times
Allergies in Detroit are less bad than most other places in the Eastern half of the U.S. Generally, the further South you go, the more pollen there is and the longer its around in this part of the country.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:04 AM

123 posts, read 451,859 times
Hi. I grew up in MI and then went to Southern Ca for almost a year and moved back to Mi this week. I live in West Bloomfield which is similar to Birmingham. There are more and more restaurants in Mi becoming smoke free.As for areas to live,do you know where you will work? I know coming from Ca you are used to traffic but in the winter here it can be the pits having to drive far. I grew up in West Bloomfield area and Birmingham. I will say I have never gotten used to the attitudes here and found Ca to be a pleasant change from that. On another note I have heard the lofts in Detroit are nice but still I feel Detroit is unsafe and getting to the area is not pleasant. Another area is Novi/Northville. Good luck

Old 05-19-2008, 04:30 PM

450 posts, read 1,742,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaJ View Post
Hi. I grew up in MI and then went to Southern Ca for almost a year and moved back to Mi this week. I live in West Bloomfield which is similar to Birmingham. There are more and more restaurants in Mi becoming smoke free.As for areas to live,do you know where you will work? I know coming from Ca you are used to traffic but in the winter here it can be the pits having to drive far. I grew up in West Bloomfield area and Birmingham. I will say I have never gotten used to the attitudes here and found Ca to be a pleasant change from that. On another note I have heard the lofts in Detroit are nice but still I feel Detroit is unsafe and getting to the area is not pleasant. Another area is Novi/Northville. Good luck
Not sure about working location.... I grew up driving on icy roads -- not fun, but that's what AWD and ABS is for I suppose!

Just curious -- what do you mean when you say you have never gotten used to the attitudes there?

Old 05-19-2008, 08:16 PM

27,759 posts, read 65,577,769 times
Downtown Detroit seems to be on the right track, but it keeps getting derailed by intense hatred of whites amongst the governement of Detroit and by idoitic shennagans by morons like Kwame Kilpatrick (look it up if you do not know about it). Detroit could get on the comeback path if the government is completely eliminated and replaced at every level. It certainly has some great raw materials for a quality downtown. Lofts are pooping up all over and slowl becomming occupied. Downtwon is far safer and far livelier than when I went to school here 20 years ago. The change is amazing, but there is a long way to go still.

Many of the neighborhoods are a complete loss however. Too bad; a lot of history is beyond salvaging. However there are still some awesome historical neighborhoods just waiting to be restored. It could come back, but it is probably not going to do so in a hurry. However rumour is that Dennis Archer will run for Governor. that could help both the state and the city make a comeback.

If I was single, or newly married and at least five years from having kids, I think that i would give downtown a try.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:38 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,799,235 times
Don't forget Wyandotte. Of all the Downriver communities, I think it meets most of your criteria.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:48 AM

52 posts, read 45,152 times
My husband and i are moving to royal oak from europe. We found it to be very friendly and open, the bars and shops are nice and not at all snobby. We oringially wanted to move to birmingham but after a few trips there we decided it wasnt for us. The last time we went, we walked into 3 different resturants looking for somewhere nice to eat and we felt like ppl were looking down their noses at us...we are quite well dressed europeans and were shocked at the reaction of our entrance.... swiftly left and went back to Royal Oak where so far we havent experienced anything bad.....

As for smoking, it is now banned in both the countries my husband and I are from, but being in the bars here I have to say it didnt really bother me, I hardly noticed it but i think before the bans in europe the smoking was much worse, and the bars were so smoky you couldnt see...so I think its not so bad here.

But we havent actually moved yet, and we're off back to europe at the weekend. Back in a few months....

Nice to know there are other new ppl here, we dont know anybody and we need to meet new ppl

Old 05-22-2008, 04:01 PM

695 posts, read 3,159,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Don't forget Wyandotte. Of all the Downriver communities, I think it meets most of your criteria.
Second that! And very affordable.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:17 PM

450 posts, read 1,742,478 times
Hmmm... I know nothing, and I mean nothing, about Wyandotte. Most of my time in Detroit has been in areas downtown and north, I've never really spent anytime downriver.

I did notice, however, on a TV feature about Wyandotte native Brian Rafalski (Red Wings defenseman), there were some very quick shots of the downtown, and it looked nice. I recall thinking "why did I not ever check that out?"

What is the situation like for housing prices, new construction, bar/restaurant/shopping, etc., in Wyandotte??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or