U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2008, 04:41 PM
 
450 posts, read 1,742,676 times
Reputation: 151

Advertisements

Button down shirt (with a sweater, does every restaurant set the temp at 65 there as they do here?) would be just fine for me, no problem!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-29-2008, 06:24 PM
 
6,791 posts, read 7,305,287 times
Reputation: 6973
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Button down shirt (with a sweater, does every restaurant set the temp at 65 there as they do here?) would be just fine for me, no problem!
Yes, always bring a sweater. A button down shirt w/sweater and khakis will go almost anywhere in metro Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 06:27 PM
 
450 posts, read 1,742,676 times
Reputation: 151
Sounds good to me! SoCal's not that way -- it's not all t-shirts and flip flops here. Plenty of places, even casual places, with dress codes (collared shirt required, no team stuff)... not really my speed to dress for the entire day a certain way because a place that serves an eight dollar burger tells me so. Nicer restaurants range from what you described -- sweater and khaki types -- to suit and tie type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 06:30 PM
 
6,791 posts, read 7,305,287 times
Reputation: 6973
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Sounds good to me! SoCal's not that way -- it's not all t-shirts and flip flops here. Plenty of places, even casual places, with dress codes (collared shirt required, no team stuff)... not really my speed to dress for the entire day a certain way because a place that serves an eight dollar burger tells me so. Nicer restaurants range from what you described -- sweater and khaki types -- to suit and tie type.
I wore flip flops and casual skirts almost everywhere in SoCal, I just wore fancier leather flip flops for nicer places. in Detroi all my friends are into fashion so I've had to change a bit to feel comfortable, but I'm still the most casual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 06:35 PM
 
450 posts, read 1,742,676 times
Reputation: 151
Styles are different for men, there's less options. It's suit and tie (formal), shirt and slacks (semi-formal/semi-casual), or t-shirt and shorts (casual).

For women, there's a range of semi-casual, semi-formal. I find here, women are not sweatshirt and jeans casual, they're a little more fashion conscious -- even if it's casual, it's name brand casual. Not really formal, but not truly casual to me either.

Are you in a fashion-based industry, or a field such as advertising, etc., where fashion tends to be more prevalent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 07:21 PM
 
6,791 posts, read 7,305,287 times
Reputation: 6973
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
Styles are different for men, there's less options. It's suit and tie (formal), shirt and slacks (semi-formal/semi-casual), or t-shirt and shorts (casual).

For women, there's a range of semi-casual, semi-formal. I find here, women are not sweatshirt and jeans casual, they're a little more fashion conscious -- even if it's casual, it's name brand casual. Not really formal, but not truly casual to me either.

Are you in a fashion-based industry, or a field such as advertising, etc., where fashion tends to be more prevalent?
No, I hate fashion! I work in medicine, but I have a private practice so I wear traditional work clothes, no scrubs or white coats. My friends here in Detroit work in all different fields, they just always look dressed up and stylish. I never did the brand thing in SoCal, I lived in a beach community so that's part of it. I wouldn't wear sweatshirts though, I guess my casual was actually fashion conscious casual, but not brand conscious, I spend very little on clothes.

I'd rather be a guy, my BF has his "uniform" which is probably like your style, jeans or khakis with a polo or button down. That is so much easier. I'm not like most girls, I hate shopping, and I will never understand the shoe obsession, but I do want to look appropriate so I have to shop more here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 07:34 PM
 
450 posts, read 1,742,676 times
Reputation: 151
I feel for you -- yeah, fashion is easier when you're male. It never really changes much -- and usually if it does, it doesn't look so good anyway.

Beach communities, for the most part, are very casual in SoCal -- they are pretty comfortable I find. There's one or two that are more exclusive, but most are pretty laid-back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 10:41 PM
 
6,791 posts, read 7,305,287 times
Reputation: 6973
That made me laugh, my neighborhood was definetely not the "exclusive" type of beach community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2008, 08:03 AM
 
225 posts, read 750,162 times
Reputation: 122
The economy is so bad in Detroit that most places couldn't care less what you wear. There was a time where you'd feel out of place in Marios in jeans, tennis shoes and a t-shirt. Not anymore. At one time, I'd never go to The Whitney without at least a jacket and tie. Not anymore.

I think practically the only places with a "dress code" anymore are the private clubs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2008, 09:25 AM
 
6,791 posts, read 7,305,287 times
Reputation: 6973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearborn View Post
The economy is so bad in Detroit that most places couldn't care less what you wear. There was a time where you'd feel out of place in Marios in jeans, tennis shoes and a t-shirt. Not anymore. At one time, I'd never go to The Whitney without at least a jacket and tie. Not anymore.

I think practically the only places with a "dress code" anymore are the private clubs.
The US is just getting more casual, I really don't think it has much to do with the economy, popular places are still busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top