U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 08:29 AM

52 posts, read 45,142 times

Advertisements

ooo interesting topic.....I am curious to learn how the fashion in America differs to Europe...in Germany you can basically rule out shopping for clothes unless you have a million trillion euros...or you want Lederhosen and a Dirndl (traditional German/Bavarian dress, which i cant wait to wear in America for Octoberfest!!) I really miss shopping in England where you can get a huge variety of styles for good prices.... a lot of English girls dress up, even if they aren't going anywhere, in Germany i always look overdressed its ok for me but ppl stare here (my friend from LA who also lives here says she has the same feeling about ppl staring)...

Has anyone been to Europe/England and can comment on the difference in fashion compared to America/Michigan??

I bought some converse in Detroit, so I could fit in with all you cool american folks! hehe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 08:47 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,567,547 times
Fashoin in mIchigan?

It is difficult to look fashoinable while wearing a bulky coat hat and gloves. IN general people tend to be more down to earth here than in many other places. Pretense and fasion are not at the top of the list of most people's desires.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:21 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,301,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Fashoin in mIchigan?

It is difficult to look fashoinable while wearing a bulky coat hat and gloves. IN general people tend to be more down to earth here than in many other places. Pretense and fasion are not at the top of the list of most people's desires.
New York, fashion capital of the US, and a world fashion leader has winter I can only speak for metro Detroit, but people here do care about fashion and being stylish. I felt the need to upgrade my wardrobe (less casual, not more expensive, it isn't about money) when I moved here from CA. Even down to earth people care about looking good.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:11 AM

52 posts, read 45,142 times
good good! I am looking forward to winter clothes shopping.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peapod86 View Post
good good! I am looking forward to winter clothes shopping.
I love fall/winter shopping. This summer has been so hot, I can't wait to wear my sweaters. In the winter I just add cute patterned tights to my usual skirts, and I have a few coats in different styles and colors. It's a lot more fun than California where I wore the same things year round. SE MI really isn't that cold most days, there are some bitter cold days, but it's not as bad as many northern states because the lakes have a warming effect.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:15 AM

123 posts, read 451,839 times
I live now back in Mi and most of my life. I did just move back from Socal too. I lived about an hour and half from LA so it is a little different then LA. I feel people are more concious in the area I live in Mi then in the area I lived in Ca. I am very low key and care less about name brands. I totally don't fit in to the West Bloomfield feel. I think my point is it depends on the area in any state you live. Also some people are more into fashion then others.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaJ View Post
I live now back in Mi and most of my life. I did just move back from Socal too. I lived about an hour and half from LA so it is a little different then LA. I feel people are more concious in the area I live in Mi then in the area I lived in Ca. I am very low key and care less about name brands. I totally don't fit in to the West Bloomfield feel. I think my point is it depends on the area in any state you live. Also some people are more into fashion then others.
I would never fit into West bloomfield either, it's about money up there. In most areas I have been to, people in Michigan care about looking nice, but aren't highly brand conscious.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:43 PM

27,759 posts, read 65,567,547 times
Dress is more formal here in social situatons. I had to buy a sportcoat I had no use for one in CA> However here I have never had anyone ask me why I do not drive a better car or wear better brand names. People do dress up more, but they do nto seem so brand conscious. In fact, most people that I know here would laugh at you if you spent $500 on a pair of shoes, rather than being impressed.

I like to compare the clothing at schools to get a feel for a place. In California everything was Gucci, YSL or whatever. Kids were competing to see who could look the fanciest. The kids looked like they were dressing up for a night of clubbing. Here, blue jeans, blue jeans and more blue jeans. Rich kids, poor kids everyone wearing blue jeans. Most wear T-shirts with something on it that expresses something about the person (not allowed in most CA schools). I like this better.

(My daughter tells me I am wrong, "we do not wear blue Jeans every day some days we wear something different).

Old 09-19-2008, 08:27 PM

21 posts, read 87,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prncssmn7 View Post
I am very sensitive to smoke. VERY. I can smell it if someone has smoked any time in the recent hour or so before I've been around them. I don't really hang in bars much and if I do, I just put up with it if it's legal for them to smoke
I honestly hate it when people come onto the forums, asking what town they should live in, and almost everyone says, "Ann Arbor!" Ann Arbor isn't right for everyone by any means...but you sound like one of those liberals who can't stand smoke and non-organic food and like poetry slams and stuff, so you should probably just 86 the Detroit idea and think about Ann Arbor. Almost everyone thinks they're from California there, anyway.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivycreeping View Post
I honestly hate it when people come onto the forums, asking what town they should live in, and almost everyone says, "Ann Arbor!" Ann Arbor isn't right for everyone by any means...but you sound like one of those liberals who can't stand smoke and non-organic food and like poetry slams and stuff, so you should probably just 86 the Detroit idea and think about Ann Arbor. Almost everyone thinks they're from California there, anyway.
Jeez, maybe that person just has asthma. I'm sure tons of bible thumping conservatives hate smoke too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or