U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-12-2008, 03:45 PM
 
152 posts, read 420,945 times
Reputation: 61

Advertisements

Wanderer thanks for that comparison...now I truly know the difference. Keller and Southlake huh...hmm, I live in Saginaw area now but always find myself in Keller. Southlake is beautiful but just too expensive for my taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2008, 03:57 PM
 
Location: finally made it back to DFW!
293 posts, read 780,935 times
Reputation: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindfw View Post
Wanderer thanks for that comparison...now I truly know the difference. Keller and Southlake huh...hmm, I live in Saginaw area now but always find myself in Keller. Southlake is beautiful but just too expensive for my taste.
Glad to be of help... I know Keller has grown a LOT in recent years and Sterling Hts will seem smaller in comparison, more like the way Keller used to be as there's still something of a wooded atmosphere surrounding the suburb. (I lived in Watauga just on the border of Keller FWIW and when we first moved back to MI we planned on metro Detroit and wanted to be in Sterling Hts as it was affordable to us but not too 'ghetto' ) If you're coming from Saginaw you will likely find Sterling Hts an upgrade, but I think Troy would be *too much* of an upgrade. Put it this way - the most uppity/upscale mall in metro Detroit is in Troy, it's very comparable to the Galleria. You would likely also like Rochester Hills and Farmington Hills but it would be more of a commute.

Another heads-up - depending on your price range a lot of housing up here in MI only has 1 bathroom! Coming from DFW where every house had *at least* 2 baths that was a shock! :P PM me if you need anything else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2008, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Home!
8,710 posts, read 10,613,665 times
Reputation: 8512
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindfw View Post
So you like the schools in Sterling Heights...would you say they are better than or equivalent to Troy? I just do not want to put my sons into a hostile environment where there will always be reminded tha they are not in the majority.

As far as comparing the schools, I think that they are pretty comparable. Utica Community School District is pretty large. This was quite the upgrade for us coming from Hazel Park and the schools were the reason I chose SH. I live right above 17 mile also and it is a snap to get to Warren. I worked at 14 mile and Dequindre and got there is 20 mins or less most days. (Snow can slow you down)

Troy was picked as the 4th safest city in US with Sterling Heights coming in 6th. I think those are both awesome stats for the whole US. I am extremely happy living here. I am not afraid of my daughter walking to her friends, to school, to the parks...We are within walking distance of the library, the city bldgs and a great city park where they do music in the park once a week in the summer, a nice city festival in August and many other kids activities. The rec center and the senior center are also located at the park. There is a Nature center down the road from that. We are also only 2 miles from a nice indoor mall and they just built a real nice outdoor mall-Partridge Creek Mall.

I find Troy to be a little more expensive, even the gas prices tend to be a bit higher. The other poster was right-Somerset Mall is a very upscale mall. Not sure where you want to be as far as that goes.

How old are your children? I have only heard Sterling Heights called Sterile White since I have been on these boards, but I guess that is the nickname. I do not find that to be true, myself anyway. I see the diversity in the schools and in my own sub, which has about 100 homes we have every type of people you can think of-white, Hispanic, black, Indian, Chinese, Arab, Italian and lesbian (I know it is not an ethnicity-but I said type). We have no problems and all the kids play well together.

I use GreatSchools.com to do my comparisons of schools (as I, unfortunately am in the process of making a move to Las Vegas for my husbands job-hopefully temporarily) I would have rented my home out for about $1500.-and it has 2 baths. In fact most of the homes in my area do. There are areas where the homes are a little smaller than mine, but also ones that are larger. I see For Rent signs in peoples windows often. Homes are hard to sell right now. We have one in our sub up for sale and I think it has been up and down for about a year.

Sorry this is so long-hope it somewhat helped!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2008, 05:46 PM
 
152 posts, read 420,945 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I would have rented my home out for about $1500.-and it has 2 baths. In fact most of the homes in my area do. There are areas where the homes are a little smaller than mine, but also ones that are larger. I see For Rent signs in peoples windows often. Homes are hard to sell right now. We have one in our sub up for sale and I think it has been up and down for about a year.

Sorry this is so long-hope it somewhat helped!!
Thanks for the info...so, what area of Sterling Heights would you recommend? I see the Utica school district is good according to great schools.com.

Yeah, we will definitely be renting a house first. I am moving out of my 4 bed 2 bath w 2 car garage 2600 sf house. So, I am looking for something that will be comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2008, 06:10 AM
 
Location: Home!
8,710 posts, read 10,613,665 times
Reputation: 8512
Well, I love the area I am in, but there are lots of nice homes in SH. I would look into the schools and decide maybe based on that. I think they are all pretty comparable, depends on what you need. Like what grades you are looking for, will your children need bus service, sports programs, things such as that. I like where I am at because it is close enough to everything, yet not right in the middle of it all. Maybe check out realtor.com and click on the rentals tab. My area code is 48313, but SH has a few different ones, you can start with that and go from there.

Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2008, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
2,868 posts, read 8,791,423 times
Reputation: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindfw View Post
Thanks for the info...so, what area of Sterling Heights would you recommend? I see the Utica school district is good according to great schools.com.

Yeah, we will definitely be renting a house first. I am moving out of my 4 bed 2 bath w 2 car garage 2600 sf house. So, I am looking for something that will be comparable.

My area code is 48316...I drive passed a gorgeous new home everyday that is now for rent...I should get you the info...It is in Utica. Like I said,,, new large home in a new subdivision...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2008, 10:42 PM
 
88 posts, read 317,328 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer74 View Post
Glad to be of help... I know Keller has grown a LOT in recent years and Sterling Hts will seem smaller in comparison, more like the way Keller used to be as there's still something of a wooded atmosphere surrounding the suburb. (I lived in Watauga just on the border of Keller FWIW and when we first moved back to MI we planned on metro Detroit and wanted to be in Sterling Hts as it was affordable to us but not too 'ghetto' ) If you're coming from Saginaw you will likely find Sterling Hts an upgrade, but I think Troy would be *too much* of an upgrade. Put it this way - the most uppity/upscale mall in metro Detroit is in Troy, it's very comparable to the Galleria. You would likely also like Rochester Hills and Farmington Hills but it would be more of a commute.

Another heads-up - depending on your price range a lot of housing up here in MI only has 1 bathroom! Coming from DFW where every house had *at least* 2 baths that was a shock! :P PM me if you need anything else!
1 bathroom?? really?? I guess I was a spoiled Oakland County person with 3 bathrooms...I didn't know how good I had it!! I do know that its a luxury to have a basement...but then again most ppl I know in metro Detroit have a basement. I guess it depends where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2008, 10:32 AM
 
1 posts, read 3,083 times
Reputation: 10
I am a Warren Resident have lived here for many years. North Warren is a Great Place to live. Our schools are A districts and a Lot of Blue Ribbon Schools. The best thing to do is check into the Warren Consolidated School District. And Try to stay North of 12 Mile Road. I believe TACOM is on Van Dyke. There is a Very Beautiful New Sub Division at 12 Mile and Mound. If you choose Warren to Live in, I would like to be the first to welcome you. And good luck with your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2008, 05:50 PM
 
152 posts, read 420,945 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeller21 View Post
I am a Warren Resident have lived here for many years. North Warren is a Great Place to live. Our schools are A districts and a Lot of Blue Ribbon Schools. The best thing to do is check into the Warren Consolidated School District. And Try to stay North of 12 Mile Road. I believe TACOM is on Van Dyke. There is a Very Beautiful New Sub Division at 12 Mile and Mound. If you choose Warren to Live in, I would like to be the first to welcome you. And good luck with your move.

Do you know the name of that subdivision? I am contemplating buying vs renting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2008, 10:28 PM
 
6,791 posts, read 7,311,595 times
Reputation: 6973
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjefftrain View Post
1 bathroom?? really?? I guess I was a spoiled Oakland County person with 3 bathrooms...I didn't know how good I had it!! I do know that its a luxury to have a basement...but then again most ppl I know in metro Detroit have a basement. I guess it depends where you live.
One bath is really common in older the homes here, even three or even four bedroom houses. Some people have added a second bathroom in their upstairs or basement. I have had to reject really nice houses because one bathroom just won't work for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top