U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 05:53 AM

152 posts, read 421,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
One bath is really common in older the homes here, even three or even four bedroom houses. Some people have added a second bathroom in their upstairs or basement. I have had to reject really nice houses because one bathroom just won't work for me.
Do you know if there is any particular area with newer homes? I cannot do one bathroom either...just can't share a bathroom with teenaged boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 09:11 AM

695 posts, read 3,161,909 times
Honestly your best option right now is to find a nice rental in north Warren or Sterling Heights and then take a few months (or however long the lease is) to find a place that's just right for you. I assume you are staying longer than say 5 years, otherwise I'd say rent outright. There are tons of rentals around pretty cheap due to the housing market, and you will find a steal on a great house. But I think it would be hasty to buy a house without being around the area for awhile. If you decide you'd rather live here than there, you will never sell your house, and if you do, take a big loss on it.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:43 AM

8,710 posts, read 10,617,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
Honestly your best option right now is to find a nice rental in north Warren or Sterling Heights and then take a few months (or however long the lease is) to find a place that's just right for you. I assume you are staying longer than say 5 years, otherwise I'd say rent outright. There are tons of rentals around pretty cheap due to the housing market, and you will find a steal on a great house. But I think it would be hasty to buy a house without being around the area for awhile. If you decide you'd rather live here than there, you will never sell your house, and if you do, take a big loss on it.

I totally agree. As I drive my child to school every morning (she is just under the mileage for the bus) I have been noticing more and more homes popping up for sale. This is the time because school is almost out. I am actually stunned at how many are going up. I think it may be because people, like myself, are having to relocate for employment? At any rate, I have also seen many with For Rent signs too. Maybe you should contact a RE agent for some info out here or check the rentals on Realtor.com or Craigslist.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:26 AM

6,791 posts, read 7,315,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindfw View Post
Do you know if there is any particular area with newer homes? I cannot do one bathroom either...just can't share a bathroom with teenaged boys.
OMG! I had a vision of that You definitely need an extra bath.

I agree on the renting, there are so many distinct areas in metro Detroit, it's hard to know what area you might really connect to.

Old 05-18-2008, 03:15 PM

Well, it is going to work out that I will going up first and staying in one of those extended stay type places for a couple of months. So, I figure I can see how things are with that time and then depending on what I see/like either buy/rent if the option is available... but yes my first choice is to rent. However, considering I will be here for at least 5 years, I am thinking I may be ok with buying.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:00 PM

695 posts, read 3,161,909 times
The housing market is a big unknown. It could be better in 5 years, could be the same, could be worse. No one knows.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:11 AM

8,710 posts, read 10,617,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
The housing market is a big unknown. It could be better in 5 years, could be the same, could be worse. No one knows.

So true. I would rent for at least 6 mos. to get a feel of things.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:57 AM

542 posts, read 1,317,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeller21 View Post
I am a Warren Resident have lived here for many years. North Warren is a Great Place to live. Our schools are A districts and a Lot of Blue Ribbon Schools. The best thing to do is check into the Warren Consolidated School District. And Try to stay North of 12 Mile Road. I believe TACOM is on Van Dyke. There is a Very Beautiful New Sub Division at 12 Mile and Mound. If you choose Warren to Live in, I would like to be the first to welcome you. And good luck with your move.
i agree with yeller i am from warren and went to center line high, talcom is on the corner of the service drive i believe(11 mile[im thinking of the plant with the tank in front, i don't know the name]) i would suggest sterling heights if you don't want to live in waren(less than 5 miles depending where u live) higher middle eastern population, i don't know if that bothers you, and schools are kind of big. warren has smaller schools than sterling heights but the student population is spotty because, warren is spotty. some good areas, some bad. i suggest no lincoln, or fitzgerald high. the others are ok, but that blue ribbon stuff is nothing special. sterling heights is deffinately your safest bet and closest commute. farmington hills isn't very close.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the input. I ended up renting a home in Troy but just bought a new home in Macomb. Guess I will be here a while...

Old 01-03-2009, 10:44 AM

6 posts, read 22,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindfw View Post
Thanks for the input. I ended up renting a home in Troy but just bought a new home in Macomb. Guess I will be here a while...
Well, now that you've been there awhile, how about sharing your thoughts on the area as a newbie. There is a possibility that we will be moving to michigan soon. Next week we should know if my husband will be offered a job in Detroit.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or