U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 11:54 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,775,363 times

Advertisements

The criteria almost sounds like mine for relocating. Except we will be renting instead of buying.
This weekend we're looking at places in Ferndale, Dearborn Heights, Redford, and Royal Oak. Overall, which of these is preferable? Would be helpful for when we make our decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 06:49 AM

2,790 posts, read 5,798,348 times
Don't forget to check out Dearborn and Wyandotte.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:50 AM

695 posts, read 3,159,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
The criteria almost sounds like mine for relocating. Except we will be renting instead of buying.
This weekend we're looking at places in Ferndale, Dearborn Heights, Redford, and Royal Oak. Overall, which of these is preferable? Would be helpful for when we make our decision.
Dearborn Heights and Redford are much more traditional (some might say boring) 50s ranches. South Redford and North Dearborn Heights are on the decline. I live in North Dearborn Heights and it is taking a turn for the worst. South Dearborn Heights is not as bad, but some might say it is more in tune with downriver, very blue collar, very working class, has more sided more interesting houses. North Redford is the same way. My north Dearborn Heights neighborhood has been very hard hit by the housing dilemma. A house down the street from my grandparents was listed for $160,00 and now they're looking for $100,000. Nearly every house that sells in this area is selling to middle-eastern people, and cultural diversity is being thrown out the window for one group of people. Across Beech Daly and along Hass and Berwyn Streets there are tons of smaller houses being knocked down for huge mansions that dwarf the houses next to them, are covered in middle-eastern architecture, and block sunlight out of the yards of houses next to them, and kill the other houses resale value even more. This trend, known as "bigfoot houses" started in Dearborn and has come very heavily into Dearborn Heights, especially between Telegraph and Beech Daly, and the Rouge Park and Cherry Hill. There is some of it even in my neighborhood the other side of Beech Daly. The city council has been sort of lazy on issues of passing ordinances against this, partly because they're doing anything for business in the city. A house two doors down from my aunt's was knocked down for a 3,000 square foot mansion, and they are stealing electricity from the vacant house next to my aunt. The city knows about this activity all over the city and looks the other way since business is going on in the city. Dearborn Heights is corrupt.

If you want to look in this area, consider Garden City, Westland, or Livonia.

Ferndale and Royal Oak are much more desireable, but come with a higher price tag. They have walkable downtowns. Etc. Wyandotte is also nice, more blue collar, but very nice.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:26 AM

225 posts, read 749,964 times
Quote:
I live in North Dearborn Heights and it is taking a turn for the worst. South Dearborn Heights is not as bad
Maybe your part of north Dearborn Heights is declining, but south Dearborn Heights is a PIT compared to areas like south of Ford, north of Cherry Hill between Gulley and Inkster. Even River Oaks is better than any area in south Dearborn Heights and River Oaks borders Detroit! And then there's the flooding in the south Heights. There are a hell of a lot more cheaply built houses on slabs in the south heights than the north. I take it you live in the north Heights bordering Redford or Detroit? There are plenty of better areas in the north Heights than that.

The nicer areas in the north Heights are far better than just about any area in Redford and most areas in Westland. I agree that Livonia is nicer than any area of Dearborn Heights. As far as "The Arabs Are Coming", so what? I'd rather have them come in and build a 3000 square foot mansion that dwarphs the other houses than to have real estate blockbusters sweep through and do what they did to Detroit in the 50's and 60's.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearborn View Post
Maybe your part of north Dearborn Heights is declining, but south Dearborn Heights is a PIT compared to areas like south of Ford, north of Cherry Hill between Gulley and Inkster. Even River Oaks is better than any area in south Dearborn Heights and River Oaks borders Detroit! And then there's the flooding in the south Heights. There are a hell of a lot more cheaply built houses on slabs in the south heights than the north. I take it you live in the north Heights bordering Redford or Detroit? There are plenty of better areas in the north Heights than that.

The nicer areas in the north Heights are far better than just about any area in Redford and most areas in Westland. I agree that Livonia is nicer than any area of Dearborn Heights. As far as "The Arabs Are Coming", so what? I'd rather have them come in and build a 3000 square foot mansion that dwarphs the other houses than to have real estate blockbusters sweep through and do what they did to Detroit in the 50's and 60's.
Actually I live in the Ford and Inkster area close to Garden City. It's probably one of the nicest looking neighborhoods in north Heights besides Seven Oaks, and I have enjoyed living here, but I would never recommend anyone moving here right now. The homes are decent, but declining as I said. I think it is a serious problem that the character of the neighborhoods are steadily being destroyed by taking out huge chunks of houses and building enormous mansions in their place amongst modest homes. City services in Dearborn Heights have suffered immensely in the last 5 or so years. My street and neighborhood takes forever to get plowed, days to get salted, and on the terrible winter days when I set out after a storm to go where I needed to go, as I drove through Dearborn, Garden City, and Westland, their streets, and side streets were done several hours to days before Dearborn Heights. My relatives here in the Heights like to say that it's like living in Redford when they had mostly dirt streets that were never touched and had huge ruts in them from the snow. That's what Dearborn Heights is becoming. South Dearborn Heights does have a lot of bad houses, particularly near the river from the May 2005 flood, but in general the area is ignored by city council and gets a bad rep. It always seems like Dearborn Heights is several steps behind Garden City, Westland, Dearborn. We JUST got curbside recycling, we don't have the suction trucks to pick up leaves, last week it took an extra day for the waste company to get our yard waste. Mind you this is the new waste company that the city got a few years ago and promised much improvement and things have gotten worse since. Garden City has trashcans issued to the residents to use that are on rollers and are durable and heavy. What do we have? Nothing. We use our own waste cans that roll all over the streets. The city council does nothing but approve everything on the table and aside from about two council members, do nothing and are inexperienced in politics. The mayor has never been opposed as long as he has been on the post. It's like no one even cares. It took almost two years to replace the council president pro-tem when he went off to state government. This got scathing criticism from the Press and Guide how the council sat and did nothing about replacing a member. The city used a huge chunk of money to jump on the bandwagon of making a central business district on W. Warren between Berwyn and Telegraph, went through two complete sets of street signs, after the first set wasn't to their liking, installed all sorts of benches and things that sit unused, and the building that was the Danny's/IGA is now offering free rent and STILL can't get business into it besides and H and R Block. Everyone I know sees the "Central Business District" sign at Warren and Beech and laughs, "What businesses?" All this while Garden City (though they had a lawsuit and lost over it involving this) has a truly historic downtown area that they are constantly making improvements on and there are several going on now (I'm on the committee).

I'm not against the Arabs coming in; having buildings filled with business and homes filled with people is better than them standing vacant and having miles of empty stores like you have on Fort Street in Lincoln Park. But as far as bigfoot houses, that is a serious issue that I cannot get behind.

Sorry for the rant.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:36 PM

225 posts, read 749,964 times
Quote:
All this while Garden City (though they had a lawsuit and lost over it involving this) has a truly historic downtown area that they are constantly making improvements on and there are several going on now (I'm on the committee).
Where is Garden City's historic downtown???? Also, Dearborn's services may be better, but I believe their taxes are a lot higher too. And considering the bigger tax base, I don't think Dearborn is that much better of a place to live. I still think Warren/Inkster is better than just about any area south of Dartmouth.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:15 PM

Ford and Middlebelt. A lot of those buildings go way back, like Joe D's bar, and our mission is to get more of the businesses to make themselves look more like they used to, as well as bring new business in. A visit to the Garden City Historical Museum is actually pretty interesting to anyone who has never thought about the history of the area.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:16 PM

522 posts, read 1,188,436 times
Royal Oak is great. You may also want to look at the Grosse Pointes.

Do yourself a huge favor and stay OUT of Detroit. I don't care what area it is, you will be screwed by higher taxes and less services than any other area in your price range.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:41 PM

16 posts, read 34,611 times
you might want to check our birmingham as well. the drive is a bit farther than royal oak but it is a very cool downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit