Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 07:22 PM

156 posts, read 467,798 times

Advertisements

What do you do with your basement? Is it just useless space? My husband would like to find one that is finished so that he can turn it into his man cave complete with all his electronic toys? I wonder about things like what if there is a flood down there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 07:25 PM

695 posts, read 3,401,067 times
Mine is just storage. Kind of a waste of space since it would double our living space. A lot of people have lots of uses for theirs. Ours doesn't really flood, though a few years ago in May in the south end of Dearborn Heights the Rouge flooded and trashed a lot of basements down there. My aunt has a walkout which is very nice, she has a bar, recreation area, bedroom, bathroom. Some people's are just storage, some are part storage, part finished. The uses are endless.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:42 AM

104 posts, read 373,835 times
Ooh, I love our basement!! It's the boy's playroom. It has everything down there. A reading area with bookshelves and a couple of beanbag chairs, an art area with easel and painting supplies, and a table for drawing. Also has a kitchen area with a play stove, fridge, dishwasher. A play washer and dryer. Tons of toy storage. A train table for all his Thomas stuff. There's also a big loveseat with a TV. That's where we keep the Wii and play games as a family.

I painted it in fun bright colors. And, there are no toys in my living room! lol

We have a pretty big garage so all of our "stuff" (holiday decorations, etc...) are out there.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:10 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,909,382 times
Funny, I am wondering what I will do in Vegas without a basement! I have my laundry room down there. Store my camping equipment there, seasonal things such as; holiday decorations, clothing that we switch when seasons change, sports equipment. I also have a spare room that we have used as a weight room and a bedroom. And I have a main room with an entertainment center with TV, stereo, couches, a table and such for extra entertainment space. I love having a basement.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:23 AM

30,703 posts, read 79,436,554 times
We use our basement as much as any part of the house. One side is finished with two bedrooms, a bathroom, a game room, and a hallway. Becasue of the extra space, the bedrooms are large with huge closets. The kids love having a gameroom becuase it is all theirs. They can be as messy or neat as they choose and it is a prviate place where they can escape for a while if they wish.

The other side is unfinished and houses the laundry, utility room and storage. The nice thing about the laundry in the basement is the large amount of available space. In additioan to the washer/dryer and double utility sink, we have two 4x8 sorting tables. This allows us to keep all of the laundry activity int he basement and out of sight. No piles of laundry in the living room waiting to be sorted, like our old basementless house.

We use both sides of the basement every day.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:06 AM

13 posts, read 29,120 times
Default basement finishing

My basement is almost finished, we put in a bathroom with a juccuzi bath, french doors and separate shower and a gas burning fireplace 10'x10'. We also sprayed the ceiling with flat black paint and track lighting pointing down. (fixed with all the furniture) I don't know what I was doing before that, it adds so much living space, oh I forgot the office, but that would be bragging. Since my husband does this kind of work it was not expensive at all, but I put my house on the market and the agent stated that the basement will sell the house, it has.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:21 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,695,354 times
My basement is finished with a walk-out leading to the deck, library and utility room. The latter was just bare studs so I lined it with pegboard and hung up my tools. I sleep down there when the top floor is too hot.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:12 PM

225 posts, read 815,357 times
After having a basement my whole life, I'd never buy a house without one. I guess in the southwest and other places, that means a house on a sloping lot so you don't have to dig too much. I have a home theater in my basement with a great sound system and a projector with a 10' screen, laundry room, walk-in closet, unfinished storage area, furnace and A/C, pool table, poker table, chess table, and a lock on the door to keep the kids out.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:42 PM

30,703 posts, read 79,436,554 times
"and a lock on the door to keep the kids out."

Best basement idea posted yet.

Although I generally want my kids around me every minute that I am not working, it would be nice to have an off limits place to escape to. I think I will make one.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:06 PM

225 posts, read 815,357 times
You have to train them not to bang on the door when it's locked....or turn the music up to drown out the banging....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit