U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 06:12 AM

85 posts, read 252,679 times

Advertisements

Hey there all I know it's been a while but things were put on hold for us moving there (from Toronto) until my hubbys contract was settled...now it is full speed ahead! We are wanting to move August 1st time frame so not much time

My question is this, we first thought of Troy to settle but my hubby has been discussing options with several people who in the areas while on his many trips for business Michigan -- many have suggested Rochester Hills.....can anyone give me some info on it - as far as specific areas go? We are looking for the following:

- newer homes -- but not brand new (built in the 2003-2005 frame)
- homes between 3000-4000 sq feet
- established areas (since when did having sidewalks become a selling feature? lol)
- family driven
- affluence is somewhat important though we are not looking for stuck up, we do currently reside in an upper - middle class area (I think the classes must be different down there judging from previous posts)

Some notes...though I am totally flexible and will make friends wherever I go I'm sure it is desirable that there be programs available --i will not work for the first year I am there (though we have a visa that allows us all to work) and would like to take my 2.5 old to preschool programs when the other two are in school.....sports are important as my children (the older 2) both play hockey, soccer, swim and dance. ...

LOl sound crazy??? Sorry but we have a trip booked next weekend and then not many other opps will come our way in June so I would love to capitalize on our (kid free) time there

Smiles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 12:13 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,606,007 times
Sounds like you will do fine in Rochester Hills.

Good luck!

Old 05-17-2008, 12:16 PM

thanks

Just a little nervous that we would want to move again and I'd rather not lol

Old 05-19-2008, 07:54 AM

88 posts, read 317,179 times
firecracker-

Once you visit, the areas mentioned(and some you didn't) will most likely sell themselves. You will move where you feel a connection. Looking at your preferences, Rochester Hills is a good choice. I would also second Novi and Northville areas as they are upper middle class, not snooty(at least not yet...lol) and they have great schools. I personally feel Novi and Northville are more centrally located as you have a quicker drive to places like downtown Detroit and metro airport...but thats just my opinion. My friend lives in Rochester Hills and LOVES it....

Old 05-20-2008, 05:02 AM

thanks for this

I am getting pretty excited, not only at my hubbys professional opportunities but as a family - financially we can't go wrong moving there either....our agent has booked about a dozen showings thus far around the Rochester Hills, Troy and Bloomfield areas (though not loving Bloomfield as much at this point)

Question, if he had to drive to Hamtarack, Oak Park and Highland Park -- what are the communting times...keep in mind that I live in Toronto where going dowtown can take you 10 mins on the highway at midday or 60 mins in rush hour, so we are used to some traffic we are hoping to have a commute of around 35-40 mins or so......no more.

THANKS!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:50 AM

On good days with no rush hour traffic and no construction (good luck there in the summer, anyways!)you will have no problems getting there in that time frame. Of course it depends to on exactly where in those cities you are going and coming from. You can go to google maps and enter in the cities and it will give you an approx. time from the center of the cities.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:50 PM

27,759 posts, read 65,567,547 times
One of my best friends lives in R.H. They love it there. The area where they live fits exactly into your qualifications except that the houses are a little bigger (mostly 5000 s.f. and up.) Nice place along the Clinton River. Prices are way way down.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
One of my best friends lives in R.H. They love it there. The area where they live fits exactly into your qualifications except that the houses are a little bigger (mostly 5000 s.f. and up.) Nice place along the Clinton River. Prices are way way down.

Thanks for this Though the area sounds great I have to remember one thing...I AM THE MAID

lol, honestly, hubby would love that size because the more he saves on a great house the happier he'll be, but then I won't be happy...and you know what they say, happy wife is a happy life

Old 05-21-2008, 06:49 AM

RH does have smaller homes too. My SIL lives there and she has moved three times to three different sized homes ranging from 1800 sq to 5000sq. Last one included a MIL home on the lot. She is moving to FL soon and has the last one up for sale now. Nice home but large. She loves the area and the schools. Both her children went there and did nicely.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:44 AM

5 posts, read 18,130 times
Hi, I am not sure if you are still checking in but we are in a very similar situation than you were. we are coming from a very nice suburb outside chicago and are very interested in Rochester Hills. did you move and what do you think? we have the same criteria as you did so I am very interested in your take on Rochester Hills...Bloomfield has crazy high taxes like where we are now ($19,000!) so not interested in BH, i appreciate your input, have a good day
andrea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or