U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:00 PM

152 posts, read 420,780 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the area in the next month or so, and had I guess a "stupid" question from a Texan. I realize the schools will not close for normal snow but...Will the schools close for bad snow storms? If not, do the kids have to carry like a change of clothes when there is a bad snow storm? I assume I can get some good bargains on winter clothes when I get there in June...just trying to be prepared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 08:42 PM

695 posts, read 3,159,931 times
They do close sometimes when the snow is bad....several days this past winter. I think we had about 5 days off total. Little kids sometimes do wear snow pants and boots to school and then get changed. Winter clothes aren't used sold in June, might have to wait until next fall....even though the prices will be higher then. They will be cheaper when they're trying to get rid of it in the spring. Check out a Midwest (Michigan headquartered) big box store called Meijer. It's like Wal-Mart but better.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:49 AM

8,710 posts, read 10,606,706 times
Yard sales may well yield some good winter clothing buys too, if you don't mind used clothing. Great for snow pants, coats, sweatshirts...

Yes, we had a good snowy winter this year. I think we also had about that many snow days. But with middle schoolers and up, believe me, they don't think they have to wear coats and such. I freeze just looking at them. They wear just hoodies in the single digit weather. Hats? Forget it-not cool for them. Younger ones definitely bundle up-course they still go out for recess everyday so they need to! They adapt well.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:49 AM

421 posts, read 626,175 times
Why would you change clothes just because it snowed outside? It's called a coat.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:56 AM

123 posts, read 451,859 times
Shopping for fall usually starts in Aug. The schools do close when the weather is bad or there are delays. Unless the kids are playing outside without proper wear there should be no reason to change. Well other then changing boots to shoes.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:37 AM

418 posts, read 1,655,339 times
My young kids brought their snow pants to school every day this winter. The teachers won't let them play on the playground, if they don't have their snow pants and snow boots. They didn't start wearing them until we had our first big snow, but once that one hit, they pretty much had them on every day at school, until February (they don't wear them all day...just to and from school, and on the playground).

They won't need their snow pants until we get a pretty heavy snow. A dusting or two isn't that big of a deal, but they might need their snow boots. All of the kids in my neighborhood wore their snow boots to school every day. You put their regular shoes in their backpacks, and they change when they get to school. Even if the snow is melting, it is NASTY. It gets grey and black, and slushy. No need to ruin good shoes!

We bought all of our snow gear in August last year. My kids are very picky about colors, etc., so I wanted to get everything early. We bought from Lands End, and everything held up really well.

Our schools closed about 3 times this year. If the snow plows and salt trucks can't get to the main roads before school opens, they will likely close it. Luckily, it's rare that they don't have the streets taken care of.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:59 PM

750 posts, read 2,544,400 times
Depends on where in Michigan you will be.......schools downstate close easily. Schools up here in the North dont close for snow, we just deal with it.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:51 AM

104 posts, read 342,126 times
Yep, there probably will be a snow day here or there. But for the most part, thanks to plows and salt trucks there will be school.

Kids love playing in the snow (and so do I) and many schools will take them out if wearing proper gear. A lot of places go with the 30 degree mark, if it's under they stay in.

You'll need snow pants, boots, jacket, hat, gloves/mittens. Perhaps a scarf or neck gator too.

Like a pp, I rec Lands End. I get the boy Kamik snow boots, they're the best! I also order those online at zappos usually.

If your kids are young enough for carseats I'd do polartec flleece most of the winter. It's very warm but less bulky and that helps keep the straps on the carseat from being too loose to fit a heavy down coat. The boy will wear a fleece jacket to shcool most of the winter.

Boots are on even when the snow gear is not. It will get yucky and slushy again like a pp said. They will change at school (it's cute to see all the snow boots lined up.)

May I also suggest some rain gear? A good rain coat, boots, and hat. We got those from Lands End too.

Oh, and don't forget to label everything with your child's name, even the boots (use the inside tag) lol. Also, we do mittens on a string to prevent one from getting lost.

Good luck!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:04 AM

5,114 posts, read 4,812,513 times
lovindfw, your question reminds me of the news article that I read about Michigan State University offering an orientation class about living in Michigan during the winter, this class being aimed at those college students who come from places that don't have winter (like India or Texas).

Be certain to ask any questions that you have about Michigan winters, it's better to be prepared for it!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:07 AM

8,710 posts, read 10,606,706 times
A class? That's funny, but I guess I never thought about it since I have always lived in snow. A driving class might be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit