Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:43 AM

4 posts, read 14,178 times

Advertisements

I've posted a couple threds already about Detroit, but see more advice on renting versus buying. I was wondering if someone could expand on the housing market situation.

I know it is in a serious downturn, as is the rest of America. Is it worst that most other places in America? Is it supposed to turn around in the next few years? It is really a bad idea to invest in a nice place for 3-5 years and better to rent instead - there is nothing at all to be gained by renting, so would one really loose out when buying a nice house? Are there certain areas of Detroit that hold the value in homes better than others (I am looking in RO and B-ham)?

It is a buyers market now, so a deal now I think would be a good investment - the market can't get that much worse - can it?

Any wise advice would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 06:57 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Nice houses have lost hundreds of thousands of dollars. If people bought recently, they actually lost that much. You cannot lose that much renting. Ont he other hand, you cab buy a house in Detroit for under $10K. You cannot even rent for a year for 10K.

Depends on what and where you want to be.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:56 PM

156 posts, read 469,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Nice houses have lost hundreds of thousands of dollars. If people bought recently, they actually lost that much. You cannot lose that much renting. Ont he other hand, you cab buy a house in Detroit for under $10K. You cannot even rent for a year for 10K.

Depends on what and where you want to be.
If only we could predict the future...I too am weighing renting vs buying for my upcoming move. I am selling my 2600 sf house and know that I will need close to that much space in my new house.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:34 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,943,971 times
Quote:
If only we could predict the future
That's so true. Unfortunately, I don't think the market will be back up in 3 years. Hopefully, 5 will start seeing a pick up. But you would think that for what you can get a house for, they will eventually go up in resale. Everyone that I know that has bought a house even 10 yrs ago has no equity. (some may have remortgaged to the max too) I know of at least 3 people who are walking away from their homes. I know a couple of them are going to try the market first and they are listing their homes way, way below what the market was and certainly if they put their homes in a different state, they would probably get so much more.

I sure hope it picks up!!!

Old 05-15-2008, 01:54 PM

123 posts, read 487,943 times
I think it depends. Is your job VERY secure?I ask that because in this job market one can loose their job at any time. If you buy a new home and something happens will you have the savings to keep paying the mortgage?See if you are renting you can get out of a place easier then if you baught a home. Your sort of stuck. If your secure then you can get a good deal. In my moms area in WB there are so many homes that have been on the market and I am sure they would take a lower price. Hard choices I do know. I have been in a similar boat. It is like both has pros and cons

Old 05-18-2008, 10:29 AM

422 posts, read 758,581 times
I was looking at housing in Detroit, and IMO it's more expensive than what you'd expect given the economic climate. If you want a decent place, in a safe area, with a good commute to the major business centers, it's expensive.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:55 AM

8,413 posts, read 7,407,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
I was looking at housing in Detroit, and IMO it's more expensive than what you'd expect given the economic climate. If you want a decent place, in a safe area, with a good commute to the major business centers, it's expensive.
Could you describe for us what you consider to be a decent place in a safe area with a good commute to the major business centers? And would you also let us know what you would consider to be a fair price for such a place?

Old 05-19-2008, 08:04 AM

For example, one of the new condos in Midtown. Those are expensive, comparable to Chicago prices. Royal Oak, which is popular with professionals, is also quite pricey.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:21 AM

8,413 posts, read 7,407,792 times
Limiting yourself to new condo construction will drive up the price, especially if you are looking at the new condos/lofts in Royal Oak.

Single family homes in areas like Royal Oak, Clawson, Berkley, etc., won't have the same cachet as a Midtown or Royal Oak loft, but will offer the same floorspace and good commute times at lower prices. Also, there are older townhouse condos in Birmingham that are priced lower than the new construction.

But you might be looking for housing that's closer in to the entertainment districts, in which case single family housing out in the 'burbs isn't what you want.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:09 AM

Well I have real bad asthma/allergies, both indoor and outdoor. Medications and allergy shots only do so much. Moving into an older home for me is like playing Russian roulette. Maybe it's clean, maybe it's chock full of dead dust mites. Why take such a gamble? I've always had a strong preference for new/refurbished housing, always will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit