Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:51 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,289 times

Advertisements

Which areas of Ferndale are getting sketchy? I'm thinking like either southern or areas towards Hazel Park.

Ferndale's schools might be down with less kids from the influx of gay residents, but Ferndale owes a lot to them. I bet you Ferndale would still be as empty as it used to be without them. Price you pay I guess, improving city, but less students. Ferndale is a great place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 11:01 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,513 times
I'll get off the school tangent now, but I have to say I think the US needs to overhaul the public school system. There shouldn't be such vast differences that people who can't afford to move get stuck with bad schools, or cities go to pot because the schools aren't good and those who are able to will move, and then they get even worse. Arrgh!! That bothers me. All kids deserve good schools if this country is to have a strong future.

Anyway, back to Oak Park, I have no idea about their schools.

Is Ferndale going downhill? I thought it was one place that was actually getting better.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:04 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
Which areas of Ferndale are getting sketchy? I'm thinking like either southern or areas towards Hazel Park.

Ferndale's schools might be down with less kids from the influx of gay residents, but Ferndale owes a lot to them. I bet you Ferndale would still be as empty as it used to be without them. Price you pay I guess, improving city, but less students. Ferndale is a great place.
Maybe some of the residents will start adopting, and effort will be put into improving the schools. That has happened in some of the gay friendly areas in CA.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:16 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,289 times
Oak Park is just sort of sandwiched into an odd place. The ugly part of Southfield with Northland Mall (sad since it was the first enclosed mall ever) is to the west, Detroit to the south, Ferndale to the east, and ritzy Huntington Woods and Berkley to the north.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:45 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,944,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post

I totally agree about the gay community. Doesn't bother me, they take care of their places and are great contributors to the community! Their mayor is gay! Kudos to him!! I live in Sterling Heights and I have lesbians next to me (with a young daughter!) I think they are great! I would rather that then a trashy, traditional family-kwim?

Ferndale looks better than it was about 10 or so years ago and has brought in a lot of great, new businesses and with that so many people are moving in. It is more trendy and artsy then when I lived there. I think there were many more young families back then. Our street alone had zillions of kids! Was great for us, actually. I think the areas that are not looking so buyer-friendly are the areas that border Detroit and Royal Oak Township. There is more crime there than there ever was before. The homes are not taken care of. The values over there have dropped tremendously. (course the market is bad all over too) The elementary school I went to is now a school for people that are trying to be rehabilitated and filtered back into the mainstream of society. All ages, I believe. Sorry, but I would rather my kids didn't have to play in that park. My brother and 3 of my close friends live in that area. One has had her home broke into and a bunch of stuff stolen, another's elementary daughter was beat up on the bus-that they take to a different school in another part of town instead of the one close to their home...it goes on. Maybe I am skewed a little because I know what it once was, so I see the differences. Maybe one who has never lived there would not even notice or think anything of it.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I'll get off the school tangent now, but I have to say I think the US needs to overhaul the public school system. There shouldn't be such vast differences that people who can't afford to move get stuck with bad schools, or cities go to pot because the schools aren't good and those who are able to will move, and then they get even worse. Arrgh!! That bothers me. All kids deserve good schools if this country is to have a strong future.

Anyway, back to Oak Park, I have no idea about their schools.

Is Ferndale going downhill? I thought it was one place that was actually getting better.
I don't think Ferndale is going downhill, it is very nice in most areas actually. I just don't care for the schools. But that is only my opinion and others may find them perfect for their needs. (maybe they will be a step up from where someone else has come from-ya know?) I think we all are hurting in the housing market. I know of many people who are doing short sales and foreclosures. In Ferndale, Royal Oak, Huntington Woods and there is one in my sub in SH. It is everywhere, like a bad ooze.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:34 AM

85 posts, read 296,992 times
Default oak park

in my opinion if u r going to live in oak park live in the part close to huntington woods that way schools are berkely not oak park and its a nice r part of oak part as well just my opinoion

Old 06-03-2008, 01:07 PM

156 posts, read 562,583 times
I have spent very little time in Oak Park, but one of my coworkers recently bought a place there and seems very happy with the decision. Apparently the community even shovels the sidewalk in front of her place. Without being too specific, I believe her house is just south of 10 mile and east of Coolidge.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:40 PM

Oak Park is fine. Depends totally on what you are looking for. Schools? Culture? Diversity? Family oriented?

I do not think that OP borders Detroit anywhere as I read by someone here. I believe OP begins N of 9 mile. S of 9 is either Ferndale, Royal Oak Township or Southfield, I believe.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:50 PM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I do not think that OP borders Detroit anywhere as I read by someone here. I believe OP begins N of 9 mile. S of 9 is either Ferndale, Royal Oak Township or Southfield, I believe.
Actually, Oak Park extends down to Eight Mile Road and shares a mile and a half long border with Detroit, from Meyers Road to Greenfield Road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit