U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 04:28 PM

695 posts, read 3,162,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Actually, Oak Park extends down to Eight Mile Road and shares a mile and a half long border with Detroit, from Meyers Road to Greenfield Road.
Right you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 04:42 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,619,154 times
Ok, sorry, I thought that was Southfield for some reason!

Old 03-27-2009, 05:10 PM

27 posts, read 91,302 times
Update:

We did end up purchasing in Oak Park and both love it. The community is very friendly, clean, and in a great spot next to RO downtown, Ferndale, close to Berkley and Birmingham. A great bang for the buck.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:24 PM

60,630 posts, read 85,769,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benigndmd View Post
Update:

We did end up purchasing in Oak Park and both love it. The community is very friendly, clean, and in a great spot next to RO downtown, Ferndale, close to Berkley and Birmingham. A great bang for the buck.
North part of Oak Park goes to Berkley schools too. Berkley is a good district from what I've seen. So, you get good schools with a diverse student population ethnically and economically too.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:43 PM

27 posts, read 91,302 times
Another update: 1.5 years later

We still love Oak Park. Ferndale Downtown has really picked up lately, and our location could not be any better. Our condo is on 10 mile near Rackham Golf Course.

So far so good for us. As of now, my Oak Park opinion is still very high. Could not be happier with the purchase; lets hope that selling in 2-3 years will be just as painless. Fingers crossed.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:24 AM

4 posts, read 24,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
I believe that Oak Park has the largest Jewish population in Metro Detroit also, some of the best Jewish deli's in the area. I agree with the above posters, a commute from Oak Park to Ann Arbor would be painful. I would suggest a western Wayne County suburb, I would suggest Livonia, Westland, Garden City, and if you can afford a more "upscale community" I would look into Northville or Plymouth Twp, also look into Canton Twp.

**Don't get me wrong though, Oak Park is a nice city, and one of the more urban suburbs. Just do some research.
No offense, but when were you last in Oak Park? It hasn't had a significant Jewish population since the 1970s. Most Jewish people have continued on a northwest path toward West Bloomfield.
Oak Park's schools are wretched and singularly unsafe, with numerous fights, disruptive students, gangsta wanna-bees and the real thing. I have friends living there who say gangs of teens roam the streets looking for trouble in numerous forms. Vandalism and property theft aren't at Detroit levels, but neither are they insignificant. On the plus side, Oak Park still hosts many classy, jazzy post-modern houses from the 1950s.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:01 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,316,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpreposterous View Post
No offense, but when were you last in Oak Park? It hasn't had a significant Jewish population since the 1970s. Most Jewish people have continued on a northwest path toward West Bloomfield.
Oak Park's schools are wretched and singularly unsafe, with numerous fights, disruptive students, gangsta wanna-bees and the real thing. I have friends living there who say gangs of teens roam the streets looking for trouble in numerous forms. Vandalism and property theft aren't at Detroit levels, but neither are they insignificant. On the plus side, Oak Park still hosts many classy, jazzy post-modern houses from the 1950s.
Oak park still has a large population of orthodox jews. Some Oak park students are in the Berkley school district which is very good.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:15 PM

60,630 posts, read 85,769,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Oak park still has a large population of orthodox jews. Some Oak park students are in the Berkley school district which is very good.
I was going to say that. People forget that many Oak Park residents live in the Berkley SD. Some live in the Ferndale SD too.

Does Southfield still have their share of Jews as well?

Old 01-10-2014, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 610 times
RE: Oak Park.
I have lived here 56 years. The diversity of cultures is beautiful. We all respect and take care of one another.
I live between 9 and 10 mile, just E of Coolidge. I've always felt safe here, Never experienced any violence. This is a small community; people are kind and compassionate here. I raised 6 children, my children are here as well with their children.
Crime is everywhere! No matter where you live, one needs to be always aware of their surroundings.
Again, Oak Park is a small "beautiful community"
The police patrol is always somewhere close, so if needed, they are right there.
Also, regarding commute to Ann Arbor; my son attends EMU; he is down here 3-4 times a week to work. His commute is appx 35 min. 696 is around the corner from us and while yes, its a 35 min drive, he says, it gives him time to unwind and think.

I love Oak Park, I hope my thoughts help. Be well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit