U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:03 PM

27 posts, read 91,216 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of buying a place in Oak Park. I will be commuting Downtown and my fiancee to Ann Arbor.

We are not too familiar with Oak Park and need some more info on the place, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 08:08 PM

695 posts, read 3,160,120 times
Southern Oak Park is thought of as being sort of "bad" since it lies along 8 Mile. Oak Park, along with Southfield is sort of an anomaly in Metro Detroit, as it and Southfield have about a 50% African-American population. It borders Southfield to the west and Ferndale to the east, so there are always fun things to do in the very popular downtown Ferndale. Oak Park has a "downtown" of sorts that they recently redid at Coolidge Hwy and 9 Mile. Looks nice.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:18 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,293,709 times
benigndmd,

Since your fiancee is commuting to Ann Arbor, I would suggest that you choose a western Wayne County suburb, such as Livonia or Romulus. Living in that general area would make his/her commute much shorter, while offering easy freeway access to both Downtown and Ann Arbor for the both of you.

Interstate I-96 runs through the middle of Livonia. It also will take you straight to Ann Arbor via M-14 Freeway and US-23. I-96 will also take you to Downtown Detroit via 1-94 and the M-10 Freeways.

Interstate I-94 runs through the middle of Romulus. I-94 will take you STRAIGHT TO ANN ARBOR, while it will take you to downtown via the M-10 Freeway.

These quality suburbs are much closer to Ann Arbor than Oak Park, but still about the same distance from downtown Detroit.

Also, as a resident of the city of Detroit, if you have your heart set on living in the Oak Park area, please consider the (beautiful) Detroit neighborhoods a few miles to the southeast of Oak Park.

These houses in the University District neighborhood, while needing some TLC, might intrigue you.
Moderator cut: links removed, real estate advertising is not allowed

(taxes are a little HIGH on this one, but you can have the value of the house, and thus its tax assessment, reassessed)

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2008 at 06:26 AM..

Old 05-21-2008, 09:29 PM

Not sure what your budget is, but in addition to Livonia you may want to look at Westland and Garden City. They are pretty under appreciated. Romulus is pretty rural/industrial.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:58 PM

866 posts, read 3,877,309 times
I believe that Oak Park has the largest Jewish population in Metro Detroit also, some of the best Jewish deli's in the area. I agree with the above posters, a commute from Oak Park to Ann Arbor would be painful. I would suggest a western Wayne County suburb, I would suggest Livonia, Westland, Garden City, and if you can afford a more "upscale community" I would look into Northville or Plymouth Twp, also look into Canton Twp.

**Don't get me wrong though, Oak Park is a nice city, and one of the more urban suburbs. Just do some research.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:14 PM

UP until last week we were 99.9% set on a townhome in Royal Oak, preferably south of its downtown. We just now found a townhome in the northernmost tip of Oak Park which we like a lot and is a great value. We are only going to be in Michigan for the next 4-5 years and would need to sell our property at that time. At this point we are just trying to determine what Oak Park is like, is it a nice suburb, and is it desirable enough for us to be able to sell our place when we need to.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:33 PM

I still say that the commute to Ann Arbor could get pretty rough. There's not a lot of vibrant downtowns in Western Wayne County, though you might want to look at Plymouth or Northville. The commutes would be better. Not as alive as Royal Oak, but again much better commutes, and with the cost of gas I would not want to be driving to Ann Arbor 40 miles every day.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:01 AM

6,791 posts, read 7,303,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
I still say that the commute to Ann Arbor could get pretty rough. There's not a lot of vibrant downtowns in Western Wayne County, though you might want to look at Plymouth or Northville. The commutes would be better. Not as alive as Royal Oak, but again much better commutes, and with the cost of gas I would not want to be driving to Ann Arbor 40 miles every day.
I have to agree. A long commute really sucks away quality of life. Plymouth is nice, it's a little too quaint for this Detroiter, but I have met some progressive people there.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:33 AM

With the commute to Ann Arbor aside (company pays for gas and stuff!) what is everyones impression of Oak Park as a city...safety, municipal services, and so on?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:56 PM

I would coin it as on par with every other mediocre city on the 8 Mile strip there. As I said Oak Park along with Southfield are the two more African American cities north of 8 Mile, both of them about 50/50 white to black. Most other communities along 8 Mile on the north side in Oakland and Macomb county are predominiately white and south of 8 Mile in Detroit are predominately black (with the exception of Grosse Pointe and Harper Woods being predominately white south of 8 Mile. I'd say things north of 9 Mile are nicer in Oak Park. It's not as nice as Ferndale, and probably on par with Hazel Park or something along those lines. The houses are pretty much 40s/50s ranches and bungalows. A pretty unexceptional small 'burb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit