Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 07:13 PM

21 posts, read 104,505 times

Advertisements

I'm looking into job prospects in the Detroit metro area. My profession involves working with the public and it can easily become overly demanding, so I'm looking very carefully into job postings that will give me some personal time to go along with all the responsibility. Anyway, I came across such a position in Pontiac. It appears to pay competitively (six figures), offers good hours and the facilities look pretty good. But the posting for this position has been in effect since October, '07. That suggests to me that something else is going on. Why is it taking so long to fill a six figure position that also offers a decent lifestyle? Is Pontiac that scary of a place? Is this a socioeconomic/class thing? Is it a race thing? Is it a crime thing? Or is it a combination of all of these? What's the deal?

Last edited by docmts2; 12-30-2007 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 07:17 PM

203 posts, read 810,483 times
more than likely a job scam. to good to be true?? well it probly is.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:23 PM

No. It's ligit! Trust. For this particular profession, there's plenty of jobs like this all over the country. They just get snatched up pretty quickly because of the nice lifestyle.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:29 PM

106 posts, read 535,850 times
I don't think so. While Pontiac is one of the "poorer" cities in Oakland County, it's far from being very dangerous. You shouldn't have a problem there. If I didn't answer your question correctly, my apologies.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:54 PM

Dmetro, you've answered my question by saying that the community is poor. I'm a family medicine resident who is about to enter a practice in Michigan. For the most part doctors, even new ones, are well-to-do people who are used to a certain lifestyle. Fifty percent of medical school students and medical residents have at least one parent who is also a doctor. For my lack of willingness to use a more marshmellowish term, doctors tend to be snobs. Sure, most will say they're humanitarian and only want to help people but very few of them are willing to work long term in an impoverished community. Instead, what you find are physician's who volunteer a Saturday a month in a free clinic so they can write off the time on their taxes or someone willing to go to Africa or Bangladesh for a month every five years or so.
That job is still open because few doc's want to work there. Well, if you haven't figured it out yet, good for me! That job will remain open and I'm going to take it. I grew up in one of the many American third world communities, right on the southside of Chicago. My step-dad was a construction laborer and my mother an administrative assistant. Bootstraps, baby! I put myself all the way through school and somehow managed to go all the way. And having been a long standing member of the club, I continue to connect very well with poor people. Hell, I'm a resident so technically, I'm still a member of the club :-). Thanks for the insight. That's exciting news for me as I finally finish residency and begin my career. Boy, the power of information!

Old 12-31-2007, 04:28 PM

106 posts, read 535,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmts2 View Post
Dmetro, you've answered my question by saying that the community is poor. I'm a family medicine resident who is about to enter a practice in Michigan. For the most part doctors, even new ones, are well-to-do people who are used to a certain lifestyle. Fifty percent of medical school students and medical residents have at least one parent who is also a doctor. For my lack of willingness to use a more marshmellowish term, doctors tend to be snobs. Sure, most will say they're humanitarian and only want to help people but very few of them are willing to work long term in an impoverished community. Instead, what you find are physician's who volunteer a Saturday a month in a free clinic so they can write off the time on their taxes or someone willing to go to Africa or Bangladesh for a month every five years or so.
That job is still open because few doc's want to work there. Well, if you haven't figured it out yet, good for me! That job will remain open and I'm going to take it. I grew up in one of the many American third world communities, right on the southside of Chicago. My step-dad was a construction laborer and my mother an administrative assistant. Bootstraps, baby! I put myself all the way through school and somehow managed to go all the way. And having been a long standing member of the club, I continue to connect very well with poor people. Hell, I'm a resident so technically, I'm still a member of the club :-). Thanks for the insight. That's exciting news for me as I finally finish residency and begin my career. Boy, the power of information!
I admire your determination, and welcome to Michigan . By the way, you may not want to live in the city of Pontiac, but it's completely surrounded by a lot of beautiful suburbs with a lot of professionals such as yourself.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:38 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmetro View Post
I don't think so. While Pontiac is one of the "poorer" cities in Oakland County, it's far from being very dangerous. You shouldn't have a problem there. If I didn't answer your question correctly, my apologies.
I used to think so, but violent crimes are on the rise--I get the Oakland Press. AND, my wife's co-worker lives in Pontiac, and while dropping her off at home last week a drive by happened literally 2 doors away directly in front of my wife!

Old 01-03-2008, 08:44 AM

284 posts, read 1,657,252 times
Maybe the position's been listed for a long time because they haven't found the right person to fill it.

Pontiac is not a prestigious city, but it's also no east side of Detroit, either. I suspect that the job not being filled has nothing to do with its location. Pontiac is the Oakland County seat, so the major county jobs are located there.

You don't have to live in Pontiac and there are several great cities nearby - Bloomifeld, Birmingham, Rochester.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 5,964 times
I would not recommend "living" in Pontiac. There are really nice, safer cities that are a small commute in the surrounding area. There is Waterford, Auburn Hills, West Bloomfield, Clarkston etc. All these cities are near Pontiac. Detroit and the suburbs are full of commuters.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:06 PM

18 posts, read 58,555 times
You definitely will not want to live there!

Look into Lake Orion, Rochester Hills, Troy, West Bloomfield, Birmingham, Clarkston... Not Pontiac.

Dmetro's statement of Pontiac being far from dangerous is WAY off base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit