U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 02:10 AM
Yac

6,017 posts, read 6,734,512 times

Advertisements

Everybody please calm down.
Yac.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:19 PM

265 posts, read 1,100,653 times
Dang, I was missing Michigan too until I read this! Just kidding. I still wish I was there instead of Texas, where I recently moved. I miss the change of seasons. I missed spring altogether & am now thrown into perma-summer. The heat just weighs down on you & there is no reprieve. No lakes (nearby). No breeze. And this should last until, oh, Halloween!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 11:33 PM

18 posts, read 31,275 times
I understand you feelings. I live in AZ right now and I miss my people in Detroit. AZ is a much better place to raise my kids based on the housing and job market, but my heart is still in the D as well. I think a person probably have to had lived there to understand. I didn't have many problems living on the West Side of Detroit, and then Southfield. Actually, My husband's car has been broken into more times in Arizona ( while he was at work) then it has parked on the East Side of Detroit at night. I think its all a matter of perseption, but I just want to say, I feel you...

Old 05-30-2008, 08:09 PM

Location: D-town (technically a suburb, cause "and the" said so)
90 posts, read 189,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2daheart View Post
I understand you feelings. I live in AZ right now and I miss my people in Detroit. AZ is a much better place to raise my kids based on the housing and job market, but my heart is still in the D as well. I think a person probably have to had lived there to understand. I didn't have many problems living on the West Side of Detroit, and then Southfield. Actually, My husband's car has been broken into more times in Arizona ( while he was at work) then it has parked on the East Side of Detroit at night. I think its all a matter of perseption, but I just want to say, I feel you...
Gemini, you're a breath of fresh air. It seems as though some folks are here just to cause hate and discontent. The Metro area is an unbelievable place to be. You're right about the crime. While Detroit itself is littered with crime, the 'burbs are not. Arizona is one of the highest property crimes states in the country regardless of where you live.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:57 PM

203 posts, read 755,474 times
i asked my question because i moved from there June 07. we Had no family there. so i don't miss it

Old 05-31-2008, 11:30 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,301,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranman469 View Post
i asked my question because i moved from there June 07. we Had no family there. so i don't miss it
I moved to Detroit from San Diego, and I don't miss it. Some people think it's paradise. It's nice there, but why would I really miss a place that I have no personal ties to? Friends and family matter more than anything, and I'm thrilled to be back in MI close to my family, and some long time friends. I also think the weather is better here, life without seasons is boring, I hated it.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I moved to Detroit from San Diego, and I don't miss it. Some people think it's paradise. It's nice there, but why would I really miss a place that I have no personal ties to? Friends and family matter more than anything, and I'm thrilled to be back in MI close to my family, and some long time friends. I also think the weather is better here, life without seasons is boring, I hated it.
Exactly. Life in Phoenix is dull because of the weather. At no point can I go sledding unless I want to drive to Flagstaff, fishing is at least an hour away, my wife has had many failed attempts at planting a simple tomato plant, and my kids suffer from the heat on Halloween! Life is good when there are four seasons! Not to mention the people are different in the midwest. Not many fakies, just real people.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:57 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,301,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st8champ90 View Post
Exactly. Life in Phoenix is dull because of the weather. At no point can I go sledding unless I want to drive to Flagstaff, fishing is at least an hour away, my wife has had many failed attempts at planting a simple tomato plant, and my kids suffer from the heat on Halloween! Life is good when there are four seasons! Not to mention the people are different in the midwest. Not many fakies, just real people.
The "fakie" problem is terrible in California, probably quite a bit worse than AZ. Flagstaff is really nice, but too far from Phoenix to enjoy regularly. What a bummer to be hot on Halloween, it must limit costume options. I'm soooo happy I'll be back in MI for Halloween.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
The "fakie" problem is terrible in California, probably quite a bit worse than AZ. Flagstaff is really nice, but too far from Phoenix to enjoy regularly. What a bummer to be hot on Halloween, it must limit costume options. I'm soooo happy I'll be back in MI for Halloween.

Halloween is better when it's cool out. The heat does limit the costume choices here for my kids. Good lord willing, I will be in Michigan in a couple of years...for good.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:51 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,740,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st8champ90 View Post
I currently reside in AZ and have for 11 years. All the while, I have had the "D" in my heart. Even though times are hard, I hate to see how the media paints the entire state with same brush. While Detroit is a mess (thanks Kwame), what alot of people don't see or don't know is Detroit has some of the finest suburbs in the country and in my opinion, some of the greatest weather. Yes, I said great weather! I moved away in my 20's and wanted to experience something different. I don't regret it, but I'm ready to go home. After about 5 years in AZ, you get tired of the same ol' thing every day. May though Oct (maybe Nov)...100 to 115 and blinding sun. Winters, more sun and about 60-70 (not complaining about winter so much). I would have never thought I would get tired of it, but I have. On the rare occasion we get a cloudy or rainy day in AZ, it's a novelty. There are also alot of other things Michigan has over AZ but I don't have enough space to list it all. Those of you in the "D", I know it's tough right now (I still have alot of family there), but be thankful because Michigan is still a great place to be.

I have lived in NYC, CLT, LAX, ORD, HNL, and Okinawa,JP. I still call DTW home. No matter how much people put down DTW, I still stand my ground and take the lickings! They're just jealous they did have a proper upbringing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or