U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2011, 09:45 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,890,469 times

Advertisements

Wow so a city's proximity to Detroit makes it worst? smh DR isn't great IMO regardless how close it is to the city, not from what I've seen
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 10:19 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,577,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
Wow so a city's proximity to Detroit makes it worst? smh DR isn't great IMO regardless how close it is to the city, not from what I've seen

Although I dislike the bs detroit bashing by people who have no knowlge fo the City, it is true the most of the cities touching detroit seem to suffer as a result. In most cases the parts of an adjoining city that touch detroit are the worst parts of that city. It is nto that Detroit is a disease that speards, I think that it is because Detroit government is spread too thin and many areas get no services, so it tends to be kind of wild. IN amny places, especially Grosse Points and Dearborn (and Redford Township) the dividing line betweene the City of Detroit and the next City is readily apparent. Sometimes on the Detroit side of the street it is all empty abandoned buildings, homeless people, scary thug looking people, etc; while across the street and across the city border the businesses are open, people appear less scary things are cleaner and seem more in control. I cannto give you street names, but I saw this in Dearborn, Redford Township and also someplace in the North or northeast part of Detroit. The most striking example of course is any place that you cross from Detroit into one of the Grosse Points. It is so different that visitors tend to laugh out loud when they cross from one to the other.

If you look at the downriver area, all of the cities that touch detroit are pretty awful. The ones that do not touch detroit are much nicer and things get nicer the further away you get. The one exception is that River Rouge which touches Detroit appears to be a bit nicer than Ecorse which is the next city away. However it is close. I used to think that Ecorse was nicer, but the more I get to know the two places, the more it appears that River Rouge may be better. Of course very few people live in River Rouge anymore.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:45 PM

333 posts, read 1,018,799 times
Quote:
In this case yes. The "bad downriver cities" are River Rouge, Ecorse, Taylor (which in alot of areas is actually average) and Inkster. River Rouge and Ecorse are much worse than either Inkster or Taylor and they're right on Detroit's back door.

But to be fair this doesn't apply as much in other areas. Besides the Telegraph/Fenkell neighborhood in Redford I can't think of any other bad border area on the west side.

With the Eight Mile cities you have Southfield, Oak Park, South Warren and Eastpointe, but none of those except certain parts of South Warren are anywhere near as bad as Ec/RR. There are still decent neighborhoods and cities along Eight Mile such as Farmington, Ferndale, Hazel Park (although Hazel Park gets worse as it gets closer to 8 Mile & Chrysler), Novi and St. Clair Shores.

And on the east side Detroit only borders Harper Woods and the Grosse Pointes. The border neighborhoods according to Google Street View also seem to be much cleaner and more "occupied" than other Detroit areas even to the point where some appear to be normal middle class neighborhoods.

But then you also have cities away from Detroit which are just as bad if not worse than these "inner suburbs". Like stated before, Inkster is one. Pontiac is another, and Madison Heights and many portions of Roseville are becoming similar. Many people say Wayne and Westland are becoming much worse as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~

So to sum it up, in the case of Downriver, the proximity to Detroit does matter in how bad it is. But in other cases, not really as much as people like to think because there's worse if you go further out as well.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:33 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,890,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [JS] View Post
In this case yes. The "bad downriver cities" are River Rouge, Ecorse, Taylor (which in alot of areas is actually average) and Inkster. River Rouge and Ecorse are much worse than either Inkster or Taylor and they're right on Detroit's back door.

But to be fair this doesn't apply as much in other areas. Besides the Telegraph/Fenkell neighborhood in Redford I can't think of any other bad border area on the west side.

With the Eight Mile cities you have Southfield, Oak Park, South Warren and Eastpointe, but none of those except certain parts of South Warren are anywhere near as bad as Ec/RR. There are still decent neighborhoods and cities along Eight Mile such as Farmington, Ferndale, Hazel Park (although Hazel Park gets worse as it gets closer to 8 Mile & Chrysler), Novi and St. Clair Shores.

And on the east side Detroit only borders Harper Woods and the Grosse Pointes. The border neighborhoods according to Google Street View also seem to be much cleaner and more "occupied" than other Detroit areas even to the point where some appear to be normal middle class neighborhoods.

But then you also have cities away from Detroit which are just as bad if not worse than these "inner suburbs". Like stated before, Inkster is one. Pontiac is another, and Madison Heights and many portions of Roseville are becoming similar. Many people say Wayne and Westland are becoming much worse as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~

So to sum it up, in the case of Downriver, the proximity to Detroit does matter in how bad it is. But in other cases, not really as much as people like to think because there's worse if you go further out as well.
I don't think any of those cities proximity to Detroit has anything to do with it. I mean, they could be just bad cities

Old 05-22-2011, 05:51 AM

21,093 posts, read 24,765,134 times
Quote:
I don't think any of those cities proximity to Detroit has anything to do with it. I mean, they could be just bad cities

Could very well be...but like Detroit, if you were there in the 1960s and early 1970s, they were all completely different places then.
And just like Detroit, the elected officials started sucking the life outta' the folks via higher taxes, less services.
Now they have such a high tax base, they APPLY a surcharge for service that are suppose to be paid via taxes...REALLY, call the fire department and the charge an extra $XXX above and beyond what you paid in taxes?
Where is all this money going? STRAIGHT into THEIR WAR chests--which they get to walk away with when they head to jail..
How can a politician (Kwamee is the poster politician) who earned less than $200K( and what did he do exactly?) a year, amass a personal wealth worth MILLIONS over a 8 year period?
All the while the city "burns" and his other thug buddys reap MILLIONS (think the city housing department)
JUst because there are others who do and have done the same, isn't a rational argument. SAying one politician is no worse than another is an argument elementary kids have when they say "My dad can beat up your dad."
I believe it is a type of logical fallacy in which the proposition to be proven is assumed implicitly or explicitly in the premise.
All poiticians are corrupt, so why wouldn't Kwamee (and any politician) be corrupt.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:11 PM

35 posts, read 89,366 times
An acquaintance of my husband purchased a home in River Rouge a few years ago and unwittingly stumbled upon a slew of inspections by the city, he had to post bond, virtually bring a home from 1920 up to new construction code and the like. We are in such a down market that a home in a less desirable area can become nearly worthless if the money required to bring it up to city code is more than the market value of the property. This man said that he would have been better off spending his money in the city of Detroit. At least they don't make you post bond on properties and understand that city inspections are to ensure habitability and safety, not new construction standards. Overall, he had a very bad experience in RR...having spent over 30k on a house he would be lucky to sell for 20k. That seems to be a major factor in the area that doesn't encourage home buyers, especially those without a contractor's license which in turn, seems to affect the community at large.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:57 PM

333 posts, read 1,018,799 times
Well, I took a look at the far south end of Ecorse and it's more than apparent even on Street View that as you go south towards Wyandotte the neighborhoods get better. Needless to say they are still bad neighborhoods but by Southfield Road it clears up from ghettos to working class areas.

In addition, if you take a look at the northern border of Wyandotte it's obviously a poorer area as well. We basically have a gradient effect going here centered in Ecorse and anchored on one end by Detroit.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:40 AM

385 posts, read 643,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [JS] View Post

~~~~~~~~~~~

When you say bad what do you mean? Are you talking gang violence? City services? River Rouge does not have the same crime as Inkster, pssh, even Oakwood Heights is a quiet community, sure its a dumping ground hald of the time, but crime is low due to the community only being 6 blocks.
Take a drive down Heidt St, sure may be a little run down but its nowhere near dangerous.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 617 times
The downturn of the DR area has occurred for a number of reasons. I think the number one reason has been job loss in the area due to factories closing. I grew up in the area during the 1960s. My parents worked in a factory in Detroit. They had moved up here from the south to find work. It allowed them to live a somewhat middle-class life, out of the poverty from the south that they had grown up in. They and their friends lived by a hard-work ethic. I don't know if the young adults that live there now see and live life the same way. My mother used to say, "We may not have much money, but that doesn't mean you have to be dirty. Use a little elbow grease. It doesn't cost you anything but time and effort." Hence, we were taught to take pride in what we did have which meant you took care of whatever you did have. I am not so sure I see that going on today, and not just in the DR area. I also think some of those homes, especially the ones on Jefferson down in Trenton, may have been built and originally owned by the steel mills. The factory workers leased them from the factory owners. I think this was much like the mining companies in the south - you work for the mining companies, then the mining company owns you. So if the mining company went belly-up, you didn't have a job or a home. Also, I am not sure just how safe it is to live in some of those areas. The quality of the water and soil may be questionable due to factory waste and pollution. I can remember a ditch in front of a church we attended in Wyandotte. It was full of chemical waste. That is now filled in but who knows how much and what exactly was dumped there and seeped into the water system. Is there any lingering residue showing up in the water today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit