U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:13 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,301,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
Yes my mom commutes from here to Troy. In traffic coming home it is around an hour and a half.
I see, I thought you were talking about a commute to downtown Detroit, which from Garden City should be around a 1/2 hour if there wasn't a lot of traffic. Wow, an hour and a half to Troy! That sounds unpleasant and expensive with gas prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 01:35 PM

10 posts, read 39,296 times
Speaking of commute times. What is Detroit's 'rush hour' like?

Bumper to Bumper? Stop and go? Mostly go? Mostly stop?

When does the serious traffic start/end? Would leaving work at 6-6:30pm cut down on drivetime?

Old 05-27-2008, 01:46 PM

5,114 posts, read 4,811,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnat View Post
Speaking of commute times. What is Detroit's 'rush hour' like?

Bumper to Bumper? Stop and go? Mostly go? Mostly stop?

When does the serious traffic start/end? Would leaving work at 6-6:30pm cut down on drivetime?
It's really going to depend on where your job is located and where your home is located.

Rush hour here isn't gridlock in every direction. If you will be working in one of the major the business centers (downtown Detroit, New Center area, Troy, Southfield, etc.) your commute might take longer.

If you could offer a general suggestion as to where you might be working, others might be able to give you a good idea of your commute time.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:48 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,606,007 times
Commute times vary depending on the city you are going to and the freeways you need to take plus the construction. Do you know where your office is located, exactly?

Ferndale is a nice city, but the schools beyond elementary are not so good. Royal Oaks are better. Your wife would probably love RO. Great community for children too. Plus, pretty easy access to the freeways.

Are you looking to buy or rent?

Old 05-27-2008, 08:33 PM

10 posts, read 39,296 times
The office is on Michigan Ave, a couple blocks from
Grand Circus Park.

I assume that is considered downtown Detroit.

I'm open to either buying or renting. Renting a home would probably be best. The 60K is just a starting salary, so renting the first few years and buying later after a few raises wouldn't be a bad idea.

Last edited by newnat; 05-27-2008 at 08:43 PM..

Old 05-31-2008, 07:30 AM

27,759 posts, read 65,567,547 times
To me, there is no significant traffic in the Detroit area anytime even during rush hour, except to the North. Even then I have never been stopped in traffic for more than 15 - 20 minutes , and rarely that long unless there is a catastrophic accident or crazy weather. The worst traffic jams seem to be around Auburn Hills, not only during a game, the whole area is under serviced (not enough freeway capacity). For some reason traffic on Michigan Avenue in canton seem to be consistenly horrible as well. Ann arbor during a football game is a bit crazy too. (Detroit sporting events do no seem to create significant traffic issues the road and freeyway ssytems are pretty well designed). You get some jams in other places when there is an accident, major construction, or during really unusual weather conditions, but for the most part, traffic is laughable. (Of course I lived in Orange County CA for 18 years, so maybe I have different expectations than most people).

Occasionally during rush hour, the traffic going North out of Detroit merits the term "traffic" but not otherwise.

60K is a good starting salary here. You should be able to live reasonably well. Lots to do here that costs very little. Welcome.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:47 AM

695 posts, read 3,159,762 times
Ford Rd in Canton is bad pretty much all the time as well. hcontinue developing there, and it really needs 3 three lanes in each direction, but only has two. Good luck trying to turn onto Canton Center or something from Ford. Takes foreverrrrr. Perfect example of unplanned sprawl.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:01 PM

Traffic has become a problem because people keep moving farther north and west from the city and building Mcmansions.

Actually I know many people for whom 60K is an ending salary, it's what they have worked up to before retirement and they lived very well. That would be considered good money in many areas, especially because housing prices are quite low here.

Old 05-31-2008, 02:41 PM

4,180 posts, read 13,270,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
It's too bad Detroit can't break its stigma, because while the city is for the most part a cess pool, the suburbs are probably some of the best in the country.

I love it how metro Detroiters rationalize their existence with this line which I have heard quite often (from metro Detroiters). The burbs of Detroit are actually, yes, you got it, no different than any other burbs in any other place. Their burbs! Game over. Geesh

Old 05-31-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I love it how metro Detroiters rationalize their existence with this line which I have heard quite often (from metro Detroiters). The burbs of Detroit are actually, yes, you got it, no different than any other burbs in any other place. Their burbs! Game over. Geesh
I am a Detroiter, I don't feel I need to rationalize my existence. That's so rude. I love my city and the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or