U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 07:47 PM

695 posts, read 3,159,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
I am a Detroiter, I don't feel I need to rationalize my existence. That's so rude. I love my city and the suburbs.
Agreed. And yes jonjj THEY'RE (not their) burbs, and a lot of them are great burbs, with storied histories, great attractions, and all very safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 01:10 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,223,672 times
1. The reason metro Detroiters talk about the suburbs is because, unlike most cities, it is where the economic center of the region is. When the media and others constantly bash Detroit, it is the equivalent of bashing South Central Los Angeles and ignoring Beverly Hills, Orange County, Hollywood, etc... outside L.A. city limits that actually define "Los Angeles". Your silly comment reveals a profound lack of understanding about Detroit.

2. Considering the median salary in the United States is about $26,000, I don't understand when people say $60,000 is a good "starting salary". That's more than a vast majority of people will ever make in a year.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:53 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,300,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
1. The reason metro Detroiters talk about the suburbs is because, unlike most cities, it is where the economic center of the region is. When the media and others constantly bash Detroit, it is the equivalent of bashing South Central Los Angeles and ignoring Beverly Hills, Orange County, Hollywood, etc... outside L.A. city limits that actually define "Los Angeles". Your silly comment reveals a profound lack of understanding about Detroit.

2. Considering the median salary in the United States is about $26,000, I don't understand when people say $60,000 is a good "starting salary". That's more than a vast majority of people will ever make in a year.
I find that strange too, it's more money than many households with two people working earn. Sometimes people in the upper middles classes are out of touch with what most people actually earn.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:24 AM

4,180 posts, read 13,269,513 times
Quote:
I am a Detroiter, I don't feel I need to rationalize my existence. That's so rude. I love my city and the suburbs.

You love your city yet you do not comment on posts refering to it as a cess pool? Okay.
Sorry about the wrong they're.
Also, "the media and others bash Detroit" comment is absurd. No one bashes Detroit more than the suburban folk that live around it. Read the posts on this site.

Old 06-02-2008, 06:33 AM

8,710 posts, read 10,604,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
You love your city yet you do not comment on posts refering to it as a cess pool? Okay.
Also, "the media and others bash Detroit" comment is absurd. No one bashes Detroit more than the suburban folk that live around it. Read the posts on this site.
Alot of truth in your last statement. Reason being, many suburban folk lived in Detroit when it was a vital, promising place and are saddened and disgusted to see what it has become and were probably virtually driven out by crime. Unfortunately, that sadness turns to bitterness and anger, especially when the not-so-faithful leader is a joke and costing the city more than he has ever helped it.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I don't think you mean anything bad, but it doesn't help calling the city a cesspool. There is a lot of bad areas, no denials, but I live in Detroit and enjoy many parts of the city. Detroit has much to offer, to write it off as a cesspool is a mistake.

Please read the posts before responding unless you want to look ignorant. It would also help to use the word there properly. They're is a contraction of they are.

Quote:

Old 06-02-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
As a person living here it's shocking to hear someone is worried there wife won't be safe shopping in metro Detroit. No one will recommend you live in the city limits (although I do and feel perfectly safe shopping.) Anyway, you can live well in any of the suburbs on your salary except the super upscale northern and eastern suburbs. The suburbs are safe and comparable to any other US city. There is no need for a long commute, even most the border suburbs are safe. Let us know what you are looking for in a community and you will get many good recomendations.

To answer your question simply; yes, you can find a nice safe place with a short commute and live well on your salary so your wife won't need to work.
As long as we are checking people's spelling, your there is wrong. It should be the possessive their. Try to check yourself before passing judgement on others.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:28 PM

And I do apologize for not reading all of the posts on the thread before posting my comment. There is a mindset throughout the country that exists in many suburban homes that the city they once knew no longer is like it was. They then cop an attitude about it. Detroit is not alone in that struggle. But by saying Detroit's suburbs are the best in the nation is irrational. That is what I meant by some justifying their existence. (Shoot, I didn't include a sentence using they're.)

Old 06-02-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
As long as we are checking people's spelling, your there is wrong. It should be the possessive their. Try to check yourself before passing judgement on others.
Touche'

Please be careful, you just can't say things like "justify their existence" w/o people getting upset. The best of anything is always subjective, and when your city is constantly being criticized maybe people go over the top in defense, but many believe that Detroit suburbs are better and that's okay, it's an opinion, but it's not irrational to believe that. Just say you don't agree if you don't, and no one will get upset.

The person who originally posted that comment also said "some of" the best, not THE best. I agree with that, even if it happened out of necessity because people fear the city. Especially compared to suburbs out west, Detroit has great ones.

Last edited by detshen; 06-02-2008 at 03:31 PM..

Old 06-02-2008, 03:29 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,291,983 times
(CardwellAve)

I have to agree with jonjj. I don't have any scientific data to prove it, but I don't believe that the suburbs of Detroit are any more special than any suburbs of any other major city.

There are a few truly unique suburbs like Dearborn, with its history as the headquarters of Ford Mo Co. and its huge Middle-Eastern population and influence, and the Grosse Pointes, with its estates and access to Lake St. Clair, but for the most part, they are very UNREMARKABLE.

IN FACT, Dearborn had a tourist attraction that at one time was the 5th most popular tourist attraction in the entire country, the FORD ROTUNDA.

detnews.com | Michigan History

BUT...What is so special and unique in, for instance, Macomb County, besides Mount Clemens and its place in history as a center for mineral spas in the late 1800's.

info.detnews.com/redesign/history/story/historytemplate.cfm?id=79

Everyone is entitled to live where they want to live, and realize the American Dream. While the suburbs of Detroit are clean, modern, safe, and relatively wealthy, the vast majority are not all that special. For instance, GARDEN CITY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or