U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 03:39 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,300,457 times

Advertisements

Why do people come on with no other intention than to be rude and try to start arguments? I suggest people start ignoring these posters, it's a waste of time dealing with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 03:39 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,291,983 times
Bluefly, I think your analogy is incorrect. You compared Detroit, a city, with South Central Los Angeles, ONE SECTION of a city with 3.5 million + people. What is your definition of Detroit? What defines Detroit is the city of Detroit. What defines Metro Detroit, is Detroit and its suburbs. I have never heard the national media call "Metro Detroit" a cesspool or a slum, they always say DETROIT!

You stated: "When the media and others constantly bash Detroit...". The "media and others" are bashing THE CITY OF DETROIT AND ITS SORRY DOWNTOWN. They are not bashing the suburbs. These people know that every metro area has a city and suburbs, and that the city has higher crime and decay. They aren't STUPID. They can distinguish between the two.

I remember listening to a national sports talk radio host, who was talking about the 2006 Super Bowl that was held in Detroit. He asked a rhetorical, sarcastic question "Why is Detroit hosting a Super Bowl?", but at the end of his diatribe, he said, "but, I know the suburbs are nice."

Old 06-02-2008, 10:42 PM

1,851 posts, read 2,291,983 times
Detshen, I sincerely apologize for appearing to be rude, and for "threadjacking." My comments were not pertinent to the original poster's question.

Now if only the Red Wings would win already, I can go to sleep.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:11 PM

6,791 posts, read 7,300,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Detshen, I sincerely apologize for appearing to be rude, and for "threadjacking." My comments were not pertinent to the original poster's question.

Now if only the Red Wings would win already, I can go to sleep.

Thanks for writing that.

So many people, including my boyfriend are going to be late or very tired for work tomorrow thanks to all the overtime, and according to my BF a BS penalty that cost the Wings.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:05 AM

156 posts, read 519,189 times
Default Getting back to topic

The OP says he will be working on Mich. Ave. just west of downtown, and will be traveling a lot. For various reasons, the city itself won't work for him (though it works quite well for folks like Detshen and myself). Wouldn't that suggest a western suburb like Plymouth or Canton, maybe Dearborn? Michigan Ave. is easily accessed from 94, and from everything I hear the commute on 94 and in particular 96 is generally a bit easier than on 75. And the airport, which Newnat sounds like he will be using frequently, would be right down the road on 94 or 275. Other than the airport and a very occasional trip to Ikea I don't venture out in that direction very often so I can't give much more advice, but perhaps somebody who is familiar with the area could?

By the way, Newnat, as bad as Northworst airlines is, it is convenient to be located near one of the hub airports of a major airline, and if you do have to kill time in a airport there are worse places than the McNamara terminal in which to do it, though the same cannot be said of the Smith terminal. And perhaps the merger with Delta will improve services. Perhaps.

And yes, Newnat, on your income southeast Michigan is a very attractive place to live with plenty of good housing opportunities.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:02 AM

27,749 posts, read 65,558,358 times
I fly out of DTW to CA very regularly. I rarely fly NW. It is too expensive. This trip that I am on now, my price was $455 (American- so you have to add luggage price to that). NW lowest price was $3400. They are almost always higher. This time was absurd.
However DTW is a good place to fly from although Chicago is better since many flights seem to go through there from DTW.

Old 06-03-2008, 12:43 PM

156 posts, read 519,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I fly out of DTW to CA very regularly. I rarely fly NW. It is too expensive. This trip that I am on now, my price was $455 (American- so you have to add luggage price to that). NW lowest price was $3400. They are almost always higher. This time was absurd.
However DTW is a good place to fly from although Chicago is better since many flights seem to go through there from DTW.
The flights going through Chicago from DTW are the AA or UA flights that you use because NW flies direct to almost anywhere from DTW, and both of the aforementioned airlines have hubs in Chicago. I don't know where you are in CA, but I've personally taken direct flights on NW to both LA and San Dieogo. But your point about prices is well taken. I think NW takes blatant advantage of the captive audience business users in the Detroit area who will choose convenience over price when on the company dime - I know that's the only reason I use that awful airline. In fact, when I am able I will choose one of the other Skyteam airlines flying out of McNamara to get my NW miles on a better airline. But now I have enough miles to do a bit of free traveling. I most definitely will take advantage of those because Northworst owes me at least that much. Plus no baggage charge with my elite status.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:41 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,223,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Bluefly, I think your analogy is incorrect. You compared Detroit, a city, with South Central Los Angeles, ONE SECTION of a city with 3.5 million + people. What is your definition of Detroit? What defines Detroit is the city of Detroit. What defines Metro Detroit, is Detroit and its suburbs. I have never heard the national media call "Metro Detroit" a cesspool or a slum, they always say DETROIT!

You stated: "When the media and others constantly bash Detroit...". The "media and others" are bashing THE CITY OF DETROIT AND ITS SORRY DOWNTOWN. They are not bashing the suburbs. These people know that every metro area has a city and suburbs, and that the city has higher crime and decay. They aren't STUPID. They can distinguish between the two.

I remember listening to a national sports talk radio host, who was talking about the 2006 Super Bowl that was held in Detroit. He asked a rhetorical, sarcastic question "Why is Detroit hosting a Super Bowl?", but at the end of his diatribe, he said, "but, I know the suburbs are nice."
My point is that the economy of Detroit is as much in Detroit as the economy of LA is in South Central. Downtown LA always maintained its foundation of corporate business. Downtown Detroit did not. It is unique in that way and cannot be compared to the entire city of LA.

As someone who has lived and worked clear across the country, I can assure you most people do not differentiate the city from the suburbs.

Do a test sometime - when asked, tell someone you're from the Detroit area. In your mind, pretend you are telling them you grew up in a cardboard box, scavenging for food with a rat trap, because your parents were killed in a horrific car accident when you were seven.

You'll notice the reaction is usually the same for either response. People will almost always avert their eyes, perhaps simultaneously offering that subtle nod of condolensce as if to offer their sympathies.

Perhaps this is why people speak so highly of the suburbs. So often I've wanted to just grab those people and say, "I had a wonderful home where crime was unknown! I probably had a better, more globally relevant education than you, with wealthy immigrants from around the world clamoring to get in and graduates shipped off to some of the best universities in the world! I drove by mansions on the way to school everyday! I had access to some of the world's most renown art museums! Whatever you're thinking in that moment that you avert your eyes, it's not true!!!!! On top of that, I have witnessed the collapse of a global economic epicenter first hand. I was raised with an awareness of the frailty of societal stability that few Americans can grasp."

Sigh.... Nobody claims Detroit suburbs are superior to all others, simply that metro Detroit is a fine place to raise a family and build a life. Ask how many people outside the area realize that. I haven't met many. I once had to explain to grown adults in New Jersey (New Jersey!) that places in Michigan look identical to the suburban New Jersey country club where we were gathered. They didn't believe me.

I don't know why you insist on being so harsh on Detroit, though.

Last edited by Bluefly; 06-04-2008 at 09:49 PM..

Old 06-13-2008, 08:55 AM

8 posts, read 18,229 times
Living in Detroit will make u go crazy because its so crazy there and they dont even pay good and the way it looks is just a trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or