U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 12:10 PM

8,710 posts, read 10,617,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
If you're a single mom, maybe you need to be more realistic about roping in a chump to be a father to someone else's kids.

Not a very nice comment, but then again it sounds like you may have gotten a bad break. Not every single mom is looking for a daddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 12:20 PM

123 posts, read 452,145 times
I have lived several places over the past few years and have to agree that dating is hard in all of them. May I ask what you do? I know mixing work and pleasure can have conflicts but sometimes a co worker can introduce you to someone. I didn't take your comment about being a single mom as wanting a father for your child. I don't have kids but I would think that part of what you would look for is someone who can play a role in your child's life and can be a good role model. It is a fact that some people both men and women are not kid people for what ever reason. You know what they say when you stop looking is when you will find the perfect person.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:23 PM

5,370 posts, read 11,049,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Go to church.
That's the LAST place I'd look for a quality man after the past few "church" boyfriends who dared label themselves "Christian." Oh what a bad name some "Christians" give to Christianity. No thanks. I'd rather be alone.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:13 PM

9 posts, read 36,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington
If you're a single mom, maybe you need to be more realistic about roping in a chump to be a father to someone else's kids.

Not a very nice comment, but then again it sounds like you may have gotten a bad break. Not every single mom is looking for a daddy. 05-31-2008 11:27 AM
That's exactly what I suspected Kimba01

GinaJ-I'm a Social Worker. One job is in an agency working with teen parents, the second is working in schools ( I still have time to socialize), but unfortunately there aren't many males in the arena I'm in at this time (there may be affiliations in the community, medical, corporate arenas of social work)...I'm just about to begin the school. I suspect that there are men in admin. and fathers...but those situations really have to be handled with care!

...and you are correct, my companion would definitely have to be fit to be a role model...male figure in my child's life!!!!

Old 12-08-2008, 09:02 PM

11 posts, read 51,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzilady View Post

Anybody know of a group that loves to visit restaurants and live jazz spots? That would be great! Maybe I'll get a group together myself...some sort of singles group...
Come check out the Jazz Cafe at Music Hall on Tuesday nights. No Cover. Live and up and coming jazz musicians

Old 12-09-2008, 04:58 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,691,762 times
Detroit has substantially more women than men especially in the over 30 population as does Chicago and St Louis. Among cities Austin and Houston have more men. There is a pattern here. Places considered not attractive - not full of opportunity have more women than men as men as still more mobile. Rockport,TX where I live is a great and growing town on the Texas Coast very scenic, however it could be more scenic if women moved here lol.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:39 AM

27,776 posts, read 65,700,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
That's the LAST place I'd look for a quality man after the past few "church" boyfriends who dared label themselves "Christian." Oh what a bad name some "Christians" give to Christianity. No thanks. I'd rather be alone.

If you eliminate several hundred million people from your consideration based on generalizations from your experience with two people then unfortuneately you probably will be. Yes there are some bad/phony Christians out there, that does not make all of them or even a majority bad. You have a much better chance of meeting a decent guy at Church than you do in a bar, or at a gym.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:43 AM

27,776 posts, read 65,700,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Detroit has substantially more women than men especially in the over 30 population as does Chicago and St Louis. Among cities Austin and Houston have more men. There is a pattern here. Places considered not attractive - not full of opportunity have more women than men as men as still more mobile. Rockport,TX where I live is a great and growing town on the Texas Coast very scenic, however it could be more scenic if women moved here lol.

Nice plug to try to increase your options, but the percentage of women to men in Michigan is roughly the saem as in California or Texas and lower than Tennessee. It is pretty much the same everywhere, slightly more women than men. Alaska may be different. I did nto check.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:33 AM

2,601 posts, read 7,691,762 times
Cold - You're great for info on Detroit and I love the detail you speak about Grosse ile, but demographics is my field. Now technically you are correct that these places may have as many men as women but the differences I'm talking about are in the OVER #) population. Younger populations have more males.

Here's a link that while it doesn't break it down by age ( adult pop) has other nice features
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed Here its like Males 47% Females 53%

This is actually significant just as a 53-47% election is not considered close (Obama-Mccain)
rumors of places that are 2-1 women etc are largely areas with womens' prisons.

If you plug in dallas or houston you will see a slight majority of males.

I can provide more detailed breakdowns but as its only 730 AM and I think below 65 degrees outside I am still in bed under covers. I don't know the exact temperature but whats the difference 55....50 ? and I will protest this weather by staying in bed until I see some improvement.

Detroit has another demographic factor that isnt uncommon in big cities with high crime rates. As the male popultion ages more men than women die and/or are in prison. Prison populations are counted in most of these numbers but not sure there are substantial inmates housed inside the city, Dead ones aren't counted -cept in Chicago.

Last edited by Yac; 12-18-2008 at 07:58 AM..

Old 12-10-2008, 06:38 AM

926 posts, read 2,501,274 times
These numbers suck for me since Im coming to Michigan single (haha)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or