Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 02:28 AM

542 posts, read 1,449,644 times

Advertisements

i would say be more aggresive, be it at the grocery store or elsewhere. but definately not in a slutty way. i was christmas shopping recently and saw a girl about the same age as me eyeing me up near the register. she was with a guy. i had no idea who he was and assumed the worst. after she left i got the feeling that it might have been an uncle or cousin or something(he was a bit older but slightly close in age). but, when she was standing there i thought shes just a disrespectful girlfriend. had she been more aggresive and approached me i would have been more than glad to get to know her.
guys aren't always nervous about talking to women it just gets complicated sometimes when your not at a bar(which we believe we will never find girlfriend material). make it easier for us sometime.
good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 01:46 PM

29 posts, read 91,766 times
Default try this

try meetup.com,theres all kinds off groups on there.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:22 AM

181 posts, read 607,505 times
Does the DIA still do First Friday events? That's usually a cool way to meet people. You can even bring kids to some of the events, and it's a good way to be upfront about the fact that you are a mom. You will instantly weed out the guys who can't deal with chicks with kids.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 AM

107 posts, read 358,839 times
Default Meetup skews older

The problem with Meetup is that it skews older, especially outside of the "hip" cities. A lot of people in their 40s and 50s. A web demographics site confirms this. A lot of younger people are "too cool" to be bothered with Meetup. Also what makes it tough in a metro like Detroit is that a lot of people settle down earlier, and has a much higher proportion of "lifers", who already have their friend network and are on average less likely to seek out new ones. Unless they are divorced and in their 40s/50s.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:07 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
I've tried meetup in DC and wasn't impressed in the least. I'm sure it's MUCH worse in Detroit, for some of the reasons mentioned above. I strongly advise against it!

Old 01-15-2009, 11:54 AM

6 posts, read 19,249 times
Smile What about itsjustlunch?

Hi - Any thoughts on "itsjustlunch"? Supposedly pricey, but it does supposedly screen out fakes (assumption here is that no faker would pay the fees and sit through the interview). Any thoughts?

Thanks and regards

Old 06-08-2010, 08:35 PM

13 posts, read 20,005 times
move west in general western cities have much more single
men than women and eastern/midwestern cities hav more single women

Old 05-13-2012, 09:22 AM

74 posts, read 295,202 times
Meetups are really good ways of meeting people- all over the country, and even abroad. I never felt this Meetups 'tend to go 40-50'... not true at all.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:03 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,662,572 times
I'm gonna be straight with you.

1) you probably need to get out more
2) you're gonna need to lower your expectations

and 2) is probably most of your problem. Look here, it's like the job market. You might want to get that position but after so much time, after so many applications, and so many rejections you're gonna have to aim lower if you want a job at all

I'm not saying this to be an *******. I'm a single dad of 2. My best years are behind me. I no longer get the women I got when I was in my 20s. And I don't sweat it. I've been married and it wasn't all that cracked up to be. I don't need to be married again. I know a lot of people in my situation so I got company. Between me and my kids, I got no much extra money anyway. I can't imagine supporting another woman on it. Every now and then I get a bit lonely and want some, I find some and yeah, quality it ain't anymore but it keeps me satisfied.

And if you wanna start over you're REALLY going to have to lower expectations. Women, especially mothers don't age well. The mother of my kids was smoking when I got to her. Now? Not much anymore. And no man, no man in his right mind, will want to raise and help raise some other guy's kid. So you're going to have to compromise hard lol. But if you do, you'll find someone.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:27 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PosterExtraordinaire View Post
I'm gonna be straight with you.

1) you probably need to get out more
2) you're gonna need to lower your expectations

and 2) is probably most of your problem. Look here, it's like the job market. You might want to get that position but after so much time, after so many applications, and so many rejections you're gonna have to aim lower if you want a job at all

I'm not saying this to be an *******. I'm a single dad of 2. My best years are behind me. I no longer get the women I got when I was in my 20s. And I don't sweat it. I've been married and it wasn't all that cracked up to be. I don't need to be married again. I know a lot of people in my situation so I got company. Between me and my kids, I got no much extra money anyway. I can't imagine supporting another woman on it. Every now and then I get a bit lonely and want some, I find some and yeah, quality it ain't anymore but it keeps me satisfied.

And if you wanna start over you're REALLY going to have to lower expectations. Women, especially mothers don't age well. The mother of my kids was smoking when I got to her. Now? Not much anymore. And no man, no man in his right mind, will want to raise and help raise some other guy's kid. So you're going to have to compromise hard lol. But if you do, you'll find someone.
This right here is true. I personally never have or never wanted to "wife" someone who already has kids. Of course I "act" like I do just to get some of those females that are 6 or 7 years older than me that are mothers just like I "act" more mature than the average 18 year old when im trying to get a women in her mid 20's. It's not the location since I see people all over the world complain about it. If no one else has ever told you, then I hate to be the bare of bad news but the "perfect soul mate" doesn't exist. Soul mates do exist however, but no perfect by a long shot. This whole Hollywood movie example of a perfect relationship is usually crap. Many of them show the 1st stage of a relationship (the lovey dovey romance stage) and then end the movie like they are going to be this way forever, lol @ people who actually believe that. Just like drugs and alcohol effects doesn't last forever, neither will the 1st stage of a relationship. There will be times where you question if this is all worth it, if you can deal with the differences, ect. When you come down from your "romantic high" and stop seeing things threw rose colored glasses your going to have to meet in the middle somewhere. Unfortunately, this can be the hardest part.

But the thing that gets me is the one with ridiculous standards are the ones that mostly complain. I have heard it all.
"I will only marry a man that makes 6 figures or better"
"I can't date a man that goes to a community college"
"I can't date a man less than 6 feet tall"
"I can't date a man that's not lightskin"
"I can't date a man that doesn't have tattoos"
"I can't date a man that doesn't have a car"
"I can't date a man that doesn't shop at Somerset or Twelve Oaks or some upscale place"
I have heard it all. And then they have the nerve to complain about why they can't find a decent guy. Like ARE YOU FU*KING SERIOUS???
I am not talking about you specifically at all but just using real world examples of why people find the dating scene so hard. Men can be bad at this too don't get me wrong. The one who your looking for may have to bring you down a notch. Or maybe he's already in your life and your just overlooking him.

I have feel in love with a couple of my female bestfriends naturally. This is actually the best chance you have of having a long lasting relationship.

Last edited by MS313; 05-15-2012 at 01:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit