Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 11:12 PM

9 posts, read 41,421 times

Advertisements

<SIGH> Although I've lived in the area all my life, and pride myself on trying new things and being open to diversity...the dating scene is becoming sucky!
I'm a 31 yr. old. professional, single-mom. I'd prefer to meet someone also professional, financially rising/secure, among other things.

Anyone have any ideas of venues, places that tend to attract young, diverse, professional, single-men in the Detroit Metro Area...here's the challenge....that are grounded & down to Earth? Snobs are lame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 01:57 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,944,570 times
I second the big SIGH. I know alot of singles looking in for the same criteria.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:53 AM

Kimba01-I'm sorry that you can relate!

...and that's just the thing. I'm tired of hearing the same thing from so many quality women...what's the deal? Am I going to have to leave the state to date, find a companion, and/or get married?

What say any men??? You may be involved or married, but are there certain places that you happen to know in the Metro Area that could be considered a good meeting place w/o being a "meat market" so to speak?

Old 05-30-2008, 03:24 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,243,697 times
Honey, I don't think it's any better anywhere else. I think this epidemic has less to do with location and more to do with societal trends and what is becoming the norm. I am a quality, single woman with a good career. I have lived in Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, Mississippi, California, Hawaii, Alaska, originally from Chicago, and am currently just outside of Seattle. Little town, big city doesn't matter. Whackos are a plenty. Good men? Not many!!

Old 05-30-2008, 07:23 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Go to church.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:43 PM

422 posts, read 758,651 times
If you're a single mom, maybe you need to be more realistic about roping in a chump to be a father to someone else's kids.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:45 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,316 times
Have you tried the online dating thing?

Old 05-30-2008, 11:24 PM

Gold Dust-Thx, yes I have tried it and must say that I have met some cool individuals (actually forming relationships w/ 2), however cool doesn't equate full compatibility..you know?

Paddington
"If you're a single mom, maybe you need to be more realistic about roping in a chump to be a father to someone else's kids."

LOL! I so hope that I'm misunderstanding this statement. If you are suggesting that I'm looking to replace my daughter's father...WRONG ANSWER! She has one present...thx anyway.

Cold jeans-Thx, I actually do. Again, finding so many women in the same boat along with some of the same issues I find out of church.

Cobolt-WOW! Sucks to hear, but at the same time let's me know it isn't just me, or this location. It's awesome that you've been able to experience so many places!

Old 05-31-2008, 06:59 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Perhaps you need to find someplace less competitive. You are right that most churches tend to have considerably more women members than men. Maybe you can take up an activity that is more appealing to men than to women. Improve your odds. Try rock climbing or scuba diving. Get a sports car and join the SCCA, or a mustang or Camaro club. Take up hunting or fishing.

Try being a little bit aggressive. Most guys are secretly under confident and afraid of rejection even if they appear confident on the outside. Guys do not want to initially approach a woman. A woman that clearly (not subtly) sends the message "you appeal to me" is going to get a lot more interest.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:27 AM

Coldjeans- Hmmm I've actually joined a wine organization, but don't attend many of the functions (just getting a lot of free time back) so that's one group. I also just joined a young professional's group. I'd also like to get a classic stang or car and rebuild/decorate (lol) it. I'm interested in learning to ride motorcycles and I've just recently began going to the gun range...point is...I see your point..LOL

Anybody know of a group that loves to visit restaurants and live jazz spots? That would be great! Maybe I'll get a group together myself...some sort of singles group...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit