Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 06:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Cold - You're great for info on Detroit and I love the detail you speak about Grosse ile, but demographics is my field. Now technically you are correct that these places may have as many men as women but the differences I'm talking about are in the OVER #) population. Younger populations have more males.

Here's a link that while it doesn't break it down by age ( adult pop) has other nice features
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed Here its like Males 47% Females 53%

This is actually significant just as a 53-47% election is not considered close (Obama-Mccain)
rumors of places that are 2-1 women etc are largely areas with womens' prisons.

If you plug in dallas or houston you will see a slight majority of males.

I can provide more detailed breakdowns but as its only 730 AM and I think below 65 degrees outside I am still in bed under covers. I don't know the exact temperature but whats the difference 55....50 ? and I will protest this weather by staying in bed until I see some improvement.

Detroit has another demographic factor that isnt uncommon in big cities with high crime rates. As the male popultion ages more men than women die and/or are in prison. Prison populations are counted in most of these numbers but not sure there are substantial inmates housed inside the city, Dead ones aren't counted -cept in Chicago.
You are looking at the City of Detroit. I am looking at Michigan. The City of Detroit is mostly populated by people who cannot afford to get out or are unable to figure out how to leave. There are a very large number of single moms on welfare. The deadbeat dads bail (and go to Texas so you get more men there- just kidding). It is not a place where anyone would go to find a date. The Detroit Metro area is completely different than the City of Detroit. Are there statistics for the Detroit Metro area that do not include the City? That is what someone should be looking at. I think that most communities are roughly 51-52% women. Where do they put the "other" or "not sure" category? That may only be statistically significant in California.

Last edited by Yac; 12-18-2008 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 08:27 AM

530 posts, read 1,551,227 times
Paddington is exactly correct.

"If you're a single mom, maybe you need to be more realistic about roping in a chump to be a father to someone else's kids. "

Raise your kid(s) and when they turn 18 start looking for dates.

Out of all the women I've dated, only one pulled herself out of the dating pool to raise her child. And she has a very good kid who is not strung-out on Ritalin.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:19 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,885 times
Well babi you're options are limited - You can try bi or maybe you can warm up Coldjensens!
On city-data statistics you can see just how it is for your age group.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:28 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,885 times
Coldjen you can find the sex ratio on city data. Just type in the zip or town and then click the page that goes to housing statistics. There you will find a graph of each age by sex. Now what else can I do for you? Want a link to the phone numbers and dating preferences of the "extra" people in each zip?

Old 12-16-2008, 02:23 PM

968 posts, read 2,588,972 times
you'll hit someone with your bike one day and it will be instant love. LOL

Old 12-16-2008, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 5,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
you'll hit someone with your bike one day and it will be instant love. LOL
agreed, although i dont think that there are many people on bikes in metro detroit.

you could always try internet dating. hehe, plenty of fish anyone???

Old 12-17-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwwt View Post
agreed, although i dont think that there are many people on bikes in metro detroit.

you could always try internet dating. hehe, plenty of fish anyone???

Well fine, snowmobile then. LOL

Old 12-19-2008, 09:01 AM

6 posts, read 19,247 times
Smile The guy perspective

Hi - I am moving to Detroit soon (teaching at WSU), and so I asked a couple of folks there what should a single guy do. They pretty much suggested the same thing as folks suggest - join places where guys are in the minority - yoga classes, cooking classes, upscale gyms etc. I have always met lovely folks at these places. So maybe one approach is to try places that are like the above, except with the sex-ratio flipped...

Good luck

Old 12-19-2008, 11:20 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
You might want to check out after5detroit.com. I have no affiliation with it, but it is a site created by educated, young professionals to promote social events in the area for educated, young professionals in metro Detroit.

I've lived in both metro Detroit (generally a place young people leave) and Washington, DC (generally a place young people go to) as an adult, and one of the major differences I noticed was this:

In metro Detroit, by 25 most people (highly educated professionals) are looking to settle down into the Midwestern family life. In DC, that doesn't begin happening until early to mid-thirties. In contrast, in cities like New York or San Fran that trend doesn't start until mid-thirties.

I always felt much "older" (in a very conventional sense) in suburban Detroit because all my friends had basically given up and just settled into the norms of marriage, family, and fat middle age by 25. It wasn't really a passionate desire out of love or whatever - just sort of an urban extension of that "small town" culture where people get married by 20 and have two or three kids by 27. Everyone I knew in metro Detroit owned a home of some sort by that age.

In DC, People 32-35 (slightly older than I am now) are often still chasing exciting careers, vibrant nightlife, and physical fitness, though some are starting to settle. I didn't know anyone in their 20s who owned homes or were married, and only a few are that way in their early 30s.

So, you might just be fighting larger demographic trends at 31.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
You might want to check out after5detroit.com. I have no affiliation with it, but it is a site created by educated, young professionals to promote social events in the area for educated, young professionals in metro Detroit.

I've lived in both metro Detroit (generally a place young people leave) and Washington, DC (generally a place young people go to) as an adult, and one of the major differences I noticed was this:

In metro Detroit, by 25 most people (highly educated professionals) are looking to settle down into the Midwestern family life. In DC, that doesn't begin happening until early to mid-thirties. In contrast, in cities like New York or San Fran that trend doesn't start until mid-thirties.

I always felt much "older" (in a very conventional sense) in suburban Detroit because all my friends had basically given up and just settled into the norms of marriage, family, and fat middle age by 25. It wasn't really a passionate desire out of love or whatever - just sort of an urban extension of that "small town" culture where people get married by 20 and have two or three kids by 27. Everyone I knew in metro Detroit owned a home of some sort by that age.

In DC, People 32-35 (slightly older than I am now) are often still chasing exciting careers, vibrant nightlife, and physical fitness, though some are starting to settle. I didn't know anyone in their 20s who owned homes or were married, and only a few are that way in their early 30s.

So, you might just be fighting larger demographic trends at 31.
Great post!! You have summed it up very well. rep for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit