U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:11 AM

123 posts, read 451,839 times

Advertisements

Wondering have you thought of West Bloomfield/Bloomfield Hills?All have good schools if you have children. Birmingham has the older style homes and even in WB there are some older and newer as well. You may be suprised and able to find a home in Birmingham in your price range. Some just need to get out of their house and are willing to sell for less. I can say in WB in my sub there are so many homes for sale that have been for a long time and the proces keep dropping.Novi is nice though sometimes it is close to Wixom and though they are trying to make it better to me is still not the best. Again watch the trains in Novi unless you are one it won't bother. I use to live near Philli. I liked it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 08:16 AM

17 posts, read 65,151 times
I thought Bloomfield Hills was totally out of our price range - but now we'll look at West Bloomfield based on your and canfield's comments. We've been in the Maple/Orchard Lake Road area of West Bloomfield several times in the past year and despite the crazy Orchard Lake Road traffic we liked that area. Thanks a lot for the suggestion for us to pass along to our realtor. We're going to Detroit week after next and then again in July for a wedding and hope to have something picked out by then.

Thanks again!!

Old 06-02-2008, 08:18 AM

PS - and Philly's great, but I'm originally from Dearborn (haven't lived there in quite a few years) so I'm looking forward to moving back. I know things have changed since I used to live in Dearborn, and we just hope to make a good choice since the housing market in Michigan is so weak. If we don't like something we will have a difficult time selling for something else. I will miss the weather here, though - much milder than Michigan!

Old 06-03-2008, 11:08 AM

27,749 posts, read 65,567,547 times
West Bloomfield is not that expensive. My brother lives in a decent house in a nice sub and he said that his house is worth $160,000 - $200,000 right now. It is a split level two or three bedroom house on more than half an acre. The subdivision is nice an quiet and kind of ruralesque. The entrance street is terrible becuase no one will accept responsibility to take care of it, but otherwise, it is a good place to live and affordable. (Decent schools too).

Old 06-03-2008, 11:37 AM

Thanks, Coldjensen. I think if we look in W. Bloomfield, we'll be looking at less land. But good to know that the homes are affordable!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:51 AM

69 posts, read 186,467 times
We moved back to Michigan 4 years ago and settled on Novi and are very satisfied. I would not want the traffic in W Bloomfield, Bloomfield Hills and Birmingham and my husband commutes to his company in Philly and NYC regularly this side of town is much better for getting to the airport.
Singh is a reputable builder. One caution is that Tollgate Ravines is in Novi, but is part of Walled Lake Schools. Currently Novi and Northville compete for top school system if that is a concern.Love Northville, we can walk to downtown from our sub in Novi (Chase Farms). Prices here have dropped almost $200,000 in the past 4 years. You can get a 4 bedroom, roughly 3000 sq ft home from 375-480. That's the price range of sales the past 12 months have been in .
Downtown Plymouth is great too, schools not on par with Novi/ Northville is the only draw back. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:18 AM

cjbailey - you have been most helpful! Thank you very much. I think we are going to settle on Novi at this point. And I agree that the trip to the airport will be an easy trip down I-275. My husband travels for business too so access to the airport is an issue. Is Chase Farms off of 8 Mile Road? I think we have driven through there and it's so pretty. Lovely homes.

Thanks again - I honestly appreciate your input.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:30 AM

695 posts, read 3,159,762 times
My aunt lives in Chase Farms. Nice houses but I would never want to live there. No trees, small yards. Far too McMansion-y.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,028 times
This is a reply to an old post. But since people are researching the internet for answers i gotta tell you
there is value in northville ridge area.

Northville ridge is probably the only affordable and newest single family housing you can ever find in northville. Which means there is always demand. Remember everyone wants affordable housing in a very good school district. So you will always find a buyer when you want to sell.

We moved back in 2003 and never experienced any smell from the landfill or the sound of the trains never bothered us in the night. We are in the northeast side on glacier of the sub and there is no issue at all.

Landfill is not a liability. Remember there is ridgewood elementary school near by one of the best in detroit. Kids are comin out with fantastic grades.
friends from novi, farmington hills, canton-plymouth agree northville schools are better.

the proximity to ann arbor makes it more convenient. my wife works in ann arbor and i work in downtown detroit.

this is definitely an upscale area with lots of parks and things to do around.

Last edited by Researchkid; 06-03-2010 at 01:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or