U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:28 AM

17 posts, read 65,193 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone - does anyone know anything about the following cities/subdivions:

Tollgate Ravines in Novi
Northville Ridge in Northville Township
City of Plymouth vs. Plymouth Township

My husband & I are relocating to the metro Detroit area for work and have just begun to look at homes. Any guidance from others is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 09:47 AM

695 posts, read 3,162,361 times
The city of Plymouth in general has older, traditional homes, quaint downtown, the township has newer modern subdivisions. I would prefer to live in the city. Same goes for Northville.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:45 AM

Thanks cardwellave. But when you say "quaint" about the city of Plymouth, do you mean "needs work" type of homes? I don't mind an older home, but don't want to have to spend lots of money and time with updates. The homes we saw in the town area of Northville needed a lot of work and we thought were overpriced, while the outlying area homes had the updates we're looking for. Hard decision to make. Thanks again for your input!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:24 PM

695 posts, read 3,162,361 times
Not at all. Plymouth and Northville are definitely the well restored homes. They also get a pretty high price tag, at least compared with a lot of Metro Detroit. Usually $200k+.

The homes I've always seen inside the city of Northville are well kept. I'm sure you can find a lot of them that are older, yet well updated, etc.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:28 PM

418 posts, read 1,656,566 times
We almost bought a house in downtown Plymouth. I really liked that area, as opposed to Plymouth Township. The house ended up not being our first choice, due to a creek being behind the house (looked like the back yard was always muddy, plus we have a large dog and 2 small kids) and the fact that it was 4 levels if you count the basement. TOO many stairs! However, it needed absolutely no updating. I think you can definitely find homes in the downtown Plymouth area that are cute, with no work needed.

The other drawback to that area, was the age of many of the people I saw. I'm not that old, trust me. But I saw mostly new moms pushing their little babies in strollers. Since my kids are older than that, I didn't want to be somewhere where I was the grandma of the group. I'm quite sure it was just coincidence that I saw that many young moms, but it did make me think twice about moving there. Something for you to consider as you check out the area.

Good luck!

Old 05-29-2008, 08:03 AM

Thanks, Khfar - and I know I'm older than you! Our neighborhood here in Philly is a nice mix of ages - lots of young families, lots of middle aged empty nesters (like us) and even some elderly folks too. We've looked at homes in Tollgate Ravines in Novi as well as Northville Ridge in Northville Twp, but since we plan to stay put for the next (at least) 10 years, I want to be sure that we're making a good investment and will like the area. I think Birmingham is out of our price range (I want at least 2000 sq feet and plan to spend up to $350K) and at our age, don't want a fixer (tho don't mind redoing a kitchen or bathroom if needed). Thanks again.

And if anyone has thoughts - pro or con - about Tollgate Ravines or Northville Ridge would love to hear! I know about the trash thing in Northville Twp, but wondered if any Ridge residents found it to be a problem. Thanks again!

Old 06-01-2008, 12:32 PM

123 posts, read 452,204 times
The concern I would make sure of is trains. I mentioned this in other areas but I lived in Novi and I know Northville is similar and the trains in the middle of the night were a nightmare. Some get used to it but I am a light sleeper and never did.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:39 PM

Never thought of the train issue, but I appreciate the heads up and will look for it.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:04 PM

8 posts, read 41,958 times
We just moved to Northville. We settled on Northville due to the excellent school system and quaint downtown. We are currently renting a home in Northville Ridge.

I agree w/ the former poster. The train is annoying at night. Some people are immune to it. Some swear with time I won't hear it anymore. But it wakes me almost every night, sometimes more than once. The train runs just south and to the west of the neighborhood. I would imagine the northeast section of the neighborhood would be more insulated from the noise.

The landfill hasn't been an issue. Some say the smell could drift with the right wind on a hot day, but it's rare. I haven't noticed anything yet.

Otherwise, it's a nice community. Clean, well maintained, friendly people, lot's of kids, a community pool, plenty of walking paths, lakes, and a so called gym (if you call 1 machine, a stationary bike and a stairclimber ... a gym). Also, some ethnic diversity, with several cultures represented. (Go on greatschools.net, check out Ridgewood Elementary, that will give you a pretty good idea of the demographics).

If you are buying, you could potentially get a single family home around 300k-350k, possibly less. There has been some stuff sitting a long time. Don't buy the "new listing" or "new this week" ads. Many are just recycled listings. The Pulte neighborhood adjacent to Northville Ridge is now adverstising homes in the mid-300's. (I hear they will negotiate)

So far, we are happy in Northville.

Good luck.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:45 AM

Pinstripes - thanks for the info. We were somewhat concerned about the landfill more as an investment liability. And if no one mentioned the trains I would have never given that a thought. So you've given us a lot to think about. Thanks so much.

Now, does anyone have any pros or cons about Tollgate Ravines in Novi? Thanks so much again everyone!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or