U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 04:13 PM

4 posts, read 36,717 times

Advertisements

I am seeking someone to verify a distinct memory that I have about
eating in 'KRESGE'S' (Downtown Detroit) at their first floor
restaurant...What I am seeking to verify is that this lunch counter
which sold the standard fair of Hamburger's, Fries, Shakes, Coffee,
Stroh's Ice Cream, etc. had a counter which was in an unusual
continuious 'S' style shape (with swivel type stools)...wherein the
waitresses that approached the counter stood within the semi-circular
shape of counter to service the customers.

My wife says that the counter which I am speaking of was in
Woolworth's, but I beg to differ!...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 04:08 PM

4,045 posts, read 3,528,650 times
I was pretty young but the counter you describe sounds like Kresge's counter but I remember it being on the basement level. When you walked in the store you had to take the escalator down. What I remember most were the smell and taste of the hot waffles and ice cream sandwich. I could be mistaken but I thjink it was the basement level.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:42 AM

362 posts, read 1,354,121 times
I think it was the basement level of Woolworth's -- across the street from Hudson's.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 12,045 times
Default kresege

woolworth's counter was on the main floor as you described. kresege was down in the lower level. \kresege did sell fresh hot peanuts and waffle and ice cream sandwiches by the side entrance. across the street on the side of kresege was the nut house i can remeber the smell of fresh roasted nuts.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:42 PM

282 posts, read 1,083,128 times
Default Who cares

In those days you enjoyed all those stores as they were all excellent. You always went into every store you could, it was a pleasure to go DOWNTOWN.

Old 09-22-2008, 04:37 PM

909 posts, read 2,745,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakian View Post
In those days you enjoyed all those stores as they were all excellent. You always went into every store you could, it was a pleasure to go DOWNTOWN.

it still is a pleasure to go downtown

Old 09-24-2008, 11:48 PM

282 posts, read 1,083,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision-Quest View Post
it still is a pleasure to go downtown
To gamble?

Old 02-05-2009, 08:29 PM

Default KRESGE'S in Downtown Detroit...

'I' would personally like to 'THANK' everyone for their imput into my inquiry concerning the unusual 'S' shaped Lunch Counter (Restaurant) which I remember being on the 'FIRST FLOOR' of 'KRESGE'S' in Downtown Detroit...after reading your statements, I've come to realize that some (possibly) may not be old enough to know of what 'exactly' I am speaking about. (For) When Store Closed for good, the Lunch Counter which I speak of had been removed a few years earlier.

Yes...at the 'STATE STREET' entrance there was a (Stand-Up) 'Snack Counter' (emphasis on the word 'SNACK')...Down Below (accessed by Escalator in middle of store which faced WOODWARD Ave.) in Basement was a Restaurant which served 'FULL COURSE' Dinners that included such meals as MeatLoaf, Fish, Green Beans, Corn, etc. with Tables and detached individual chairs (Dining Room setting)...But, what I was/am refering to is a 'LUNCH COUNTER' (emphasis on the word 'LUNCH') which resided on the 'other side' of the Escalator on Far Wall of Store that 'faced' the 'STATE STREET' side...

At this 'LUNCH COUNTER' (with swivel (Diner) type stools) they offered things like 'BREAKFAST ITEMS, HAMBURGERS, FRENCH FRIES, MILK SHAKES, COFFEE, SODA, SANDER'S ICE CREAM, AWREY PRODUCTS, ETC.'

Now...behind my continued search>>>I discovered today a link which has provided a picture from a 'KRESGE' Store (Posted by an individual>>>who scanned some pictures from the 50th Anniversary of Kresge's Booklet) which featured a Lunch Counter based on my 'EXACT' description...[Note:] It does not indicate 'per se' that this particular picture was taken in the Downtown Detroit Store>>>But that it definitely 'was inside' of >'A'< Kresge's Store...and I hope that for anyone viewing this post>>>who's old enough<<<will be 'pleasantly reminded' of their trips there & 'THIS PARTICULAR' eating Station.

Discuss Detroit: The Last Dime Store?

Please scroll down toward middle of page>>>for I was not able to 'COPY & PASTE' the picture!

Last edited by Chief Cherokee; 02-05-2009 at 09:46 PM..

Old 02-06-2009, 03:48 AM

Default KRESGE'S in Downtown Detroit...

Ahhh...Here it is:

Old 02-06-2009, 06:50 AM

903 posts, read 1,714,218 times
Boy they really packed them in back then ! I ate there a couple of times years ago when my mother would take me shopping downtown when I was a kid , but my memory is real fuzzy because it had to have been 50 years ago . So I can't really add anything to verify this . I posted this website in another thread , maybe someone would be interested in it in this thread . Beware it will refresh some of your memories . There is tons of links about Detroit of the past . I'm not sure if there is anything on S.S. Kreske's in there , but there probably is somewhere . I took part in the 2006 Detroit Memories Reunion and had alot of fun . They are looking to have another one in the future . If there is any memory you don't see listed , feel free to email Eileen , she be glad to hear from you . If you grew up in this era , get the monthly newsletter , you won't be sorry .

Detroit Memories
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or