U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:33 PM

10,193 posts, read 22,673,870 times

Advertisements

I have a question about Clinton Township and Mt.Clemens. From what I understand, Clinton township was Mt Clemens before they did the name change to Clinton Twp. So why did they even change the name? I liked the old name better.
And is that area really that bad? I was there last Thanksgiving and it seemed fine to me. Nice and quaint small town america.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 09:31 AM

695 posts, read 3,159,931 times
Isn't Clinton Twsp just the township that surrounds a lot of Mt. Clemens, along with Harrison Twsp...

Old 06-19-2008, 01:35 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,740,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakesDrifter View Post
Hey, thats the area I grew up in! I have to admit, while it was nice being there as a kid, it's not the best area for transplanted singles, as folks can be quite "cliquey" around there. You also have to watch yourself in portions of both Mt. Clemens -AND- Clinton Township. As for the singles scene, you would definately be happier in the Royal Oak/Ferndale area, much more oriented towards the single life whereas east-central macomb is more family oriented and spread-out. Downtown Detroit is another possible option, but is unfortunately surrounded by some pretty rough neighborhoods!

ps
I think brikag is an aviation buff and Chicago could be either ORD/CUBS (Northside) or MDW/SOX (Southside)!
Hey GLD,
Traveled extensively for ten years. My partner is so amazed that I know th airport codes from around the US and the world. He found a list and quizzes me every once in awhile. He hates it when I'm right.

ps
ORD all the way!

Last edited by brikag; 06-19-2008 at 01:49 PM..

Old 06-19-2008, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
I have a question about Clinton Township and Mt.Clemens. From what I understand, Clinton township was Mt Clemens before they did the name change to Clinton Twp. So why did they even change the name? I liked the old name better.
And is that area really that bad? I was there last Thanksgiving and it seemed fine to me. Nice and quaint small town america.
I think it changed in the early 90's. We used to live in Eastpointe. EP was called East Detroit (even though it was north of DTW). East Detroit changed it to EP b/c they didn't want the name Detroit in the name and wanted the word Pointe. Unlike Grosse Pointe, it didn't help the EP reputation. "Grosse" attempt!

Old 06-19-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
Isn't Clinton Twsp just the township that surrounds a lot of Mt. Clemens, along with Harrison Twsp...
That's correct. They parted ways in the 90's for the same reason of East Pointe. Plus, Clinton Township was getting over populated and the city councils wanted more money for their township. It seems to be the driving force any way. The public offices for CT were behind our subdivision seperated by a park. Great Neighborhood!

Old 06-20-2008, 05:17 PM

450 posts, read 1,742,478 times
So would Mount Clemens and Clinton Township generally be considered desirable, undesirable, or just mediocre/average?

What about Harrison Township?

Thanks!

Old 06-21-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
So would Mount Clemens and Clinton Township generally be considered desirable, undesirable, or just mediocre/average?

What about Harrison Township?

Thanks!
Both are desireablee if you want to start a family. Very good neighborhoods for either on of them. But if you're looking for the single life type of atmosphere, then Royal Oak or Ferndale!

Old 06-21-2008, 08:52 PM

937 posts, read 2,620,303 times
Mount clemens, no. Clinton Township, yes, minus certain areas (15/Harper, 15/Gratiot, 14/Gratiot, Joy blvd, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit