U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2008, 11:41 AM
 
51,853 posts, read 47,681,135 times
Reputation: 16189

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhEdo View Post
I've seen you make other positive posts, pirate_lafitte, so I am not going to rip you open on this, but the key to your message (and Maxine3's reply) is that you admit that it is "from what [you] have been informed." My perspective is first person. I am a white person living in Detroit and have never experienced any reverse racism. Now I agree that there is still a lot of latent racism going both ways, but to the extent it doesn't come to the surface does it really matter? The good honest hardworking black people of this city, and there are a hell of a lot more of those than the drug-dealing murderers, are happy to have the diversity and economic contribution. Particularly in the nicer neighborhoods such as Boston-Edison, Palmer Woods and Indian Village, which are majority black, there is a high sense of community regardless of race/ethnicity.

Yeah, on occasion I get funny looks when I am the only non-black person in a store somewhere, but it is more of the "I wonder what he is doing here" kind of look as opposed to a "go home cracker" sort of look; in other words I never feel threatened. And if I go to a primarily black enterntainment spot like a little R&B club somewhere, the looks I get are more of a "welcome to our world" look and the positive attention my friends and I receive can border on the embarrassing. The music scene in the many fine jazz and blues joints in the city really seem to iron out the differences, where a 50-50 or 60-40 crowd all just get into the groove and enjoy the music.
Maybe I am wrong> I have only heard. I haven't been to Detroit for myself. I just wanted to help the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2008, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Tokyo
156 posts, read 519,189 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Maybe I am wrong> I have only heard. I haven't been to Detroit for myself. I just wanted to help the OP.
That's cool. Like I said I know you don't just go around making scathing random posts. Detroit's got issues, and racism is one of them, but it ain't that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2008, 02:02 PM
 
225 posts, read 749,964 times
Reputation: 122
Once again, look at the numbers of applications by race for city jobs. Then look at test scores and the numbers hired. Also look at the types of contracts awarded and to whom they're awarded, why, and the qualifications of those bidding on the contracts and then we can have an honest dialogue about "reverse racism in the City of Detroit".

The institutional racism you're likely to find in the City of Detroit does not manifest itself in bar owners kicking paying white customers out of the jazz club or intimidating them back to the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2008, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Tokyo
156 posts, read 519,189 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nearborn View Post
Once again, look at the numbers of applications by race for city jobs. Then look at test scores and the numbers hired. Also look at the types of contracts awarded and to whom they're awarded, why, and the qualifications of those bidding on the contracts and then we can have an honest dialogue about "reverse racism in the City of Detroit".

The institutional racism you're likely to find in the City of Detroit does not manifest itself in bar owners kicking paying white customers out of the jazz club or intimidating them back to the suburbs.
You may have a point there, but I am not a business owner who bids on city contracts. I was simply describing my personal experience.

In any case, I think we are all in agreement that the mayor and certain members of the city council need to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2009, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Sherwood Forest, Detroit
186 posts, read 537,522 times
Reputation: 44
If bu detroit you mean inner city detroit than most likely, people really don't discriminate in Detroit publicly unless you give racial slur fist, but that wouldn't make sense anyway. If your talking about outer suburbs Detroit, than being a white male you would be generally excepted, not saying that african-americans are typically subject to racism in the suburban area, for the most part they're not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2009, 10:03 PM
 
117 posts, read 241,627 times
Reputation: 106
Question What Would You Call This?

While searching for my Niece's graduation ceremony info on WSU's website, I found this link:

African-American commencement celebrates culture, achievement

In on Apr 28, 2009

The Spotlight on African American Graduates Ceremony is aimed at illuminating positive African-American role models at Wayne State. It will be held Saturday, May 2, with a reception from 3 to 5 p.m. at McGregor Conference Center followed by a ceremony in the Community Arts Auditorium.

All graduating seniors are welcome to participate. This year's theme is "A Cultural Celebration of Academic Achievement."

The annual event provides an informal atmosphere that can be more accommodating to the graduates’ families and friends than the traditional commencement ceremony. Because the event is smaller, it allows participating graduates a chance to be more involved, which is difficult in the university's larger ceremony, according to Maxine G. Hudgins, counselor, Office of Academic Pathways for Excellence (APEX).

The commencemment is sponsored by SPECIAL (Students Promoting Education, Community Service and an Interest in an African Legacy); Department of Africana Studies; APEX; McNair Scholars Program; Wayne State University Organization of Black Alumni (OBA); and the Greater Detroit Association of Black Social Workers.

More about SPECIAL
SPECIAL has three main goals:

to promote Africana Studies (AFS) as a major and encourage higher learning;

to provide community service such as volunteerism and mentorship programs; and

to help shape careers in AFS-related fields.

This was the only "separate" ceremony indicated besides the usual "cattle calls" and obviously ok'd by admin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2009, 07:10 AM
 
282 posts, read 1,082,870 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by owego View Post
I have been hearing a lot about detroits racism in many posts so I just had one question. I am a white male who has always been interested in
Detroit, but from what I hear would I be accepted in Detroit?
No sweat. Buy on the east side. The blacks are blowing each other away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2009, 09:37 AM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 24,761,383 times
Reputation: 7812
Default Detroit's real agenda?

Quote:
Originally Posted by owego View Post
I have been hearing a lot about detroits racism in many posts so I just had one question. I am a white male who has always been interested in
Detroit, but from what I hear would I be accepted in Detroit?
Racism in Detroit--YES

Accepted in Detroit--NOT as a resident---only as a TEMPORARY visitor and until you stop spending money in Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
27,749 posts, read 65,558,358 times
Reputation: 32915
Just stay away fromt he City council and you should not have much problem. Lots of white people live downtown, and aside fromt eh council comments, I have never heard any complaints from the people I know who live downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2009, 11:33 AM
 
60,410 posts, read 85,462,157 times
Reputation: 13267
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizfourfam View Post
While searching for my Niece's graduation ceremony info on WSU's website, I found this link:

African-American commencement celebrates culture, achievement

In on Apr 28, 2009

The Spotlight on African American Graduates Ceremony is aimed at illuminating positive African-American role models at Wayne State. It will be held Saturday, May 2, with a reception from 3 to 5 p.m. at McGregor Conference Center followed by a ceremony in the Community Arts Auditorium.

All graduating seniors are welcome to participate. This year's theme is "A Cultural Celebration of Academic Achievement."

The annual event provides an informal atmosphere that can be more accommodating to the graduates’ families and friends than the traditional commencement ceremony. Because the event is smaller, it allows participating graduates a chance to be more involved, which is difficult in the university's larger ceremony, according to Maxine G. Hudgins, counselor, Office of Academic Pathways for Excellence (APEX).

The commencemment is sponsored by SPECIAL (Students Promoting Education, Community Service and an Interest in an African Legacy); Department of Africana Studies; APEX; McNair Scholars Program; Wayne State University Organization of Black Alumni (OBA); and the Greater Detroit Association of Black Social Workers.

More about SPECIAL
SPECIAL has three main goals:

to promote Africana Studies (AFS) as a major and encourage higher learning;

to provide community service such as volunteerism and mentorship programs; and

to help shape careers in AFS-related fields.

This was the only "separate" ceremony indicated besides the usual "cattle calls" and obviously ok'd by admin.

I think if you are honest for a second, it is talking about African American achievement. Considering the issues the predominately Black Detroit Public schools have had and issues many mostly Black school districts have had in terms of academic achievement, this is a ceremony that shows another side of the Black community in terms of academics that many do not get to see. It's not about doing something at the expense of others, but about celebrating achievement in a way that isn't seen in terms of Blacks and education. That's what I got out of that announcment and I think that it is ironic how people want Blacks to handle their own business, but at the same time when they celebrate their culture or achievement, it is seen by some in a negative light. It's almost like a no win situation, but you can't satisfy everyone, I guess.

Here's a similar situation at MSU:http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...9/ai_85880303/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top